First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I haven’t read all this thread but I hear everyone saying they dropped a valve. How would a bad batch of valves cause a dropped valve? Could keeper/retainer notch be bad and not lock in the keepers? Could the valve break at the keeper/retainer notch? Is it really the (6518) in the diagram actual valve keeper/retainer that failed to keep the valve, thus dropping into cylinder? Or the rocker could kick off due to bad lash adjusters (6500) causing it to hit the spring, which could throw the retainer and drop the valve? This was an issue on some 5.4’s. Only so many parts can cause a dropped valve but it usually isn’t the valve itself that failed.
More like a broken valve head, the critical junction being closest to wear the valve head meets the valve stem and is at its thinnest point. Improper metallurgy/tempering/heat treating can result in a brittle valve which hardens further under multiple heat cycles, eventually leading to failure.
Sponsored

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ok, that makes sense, broken valve vs dropped valve. I kept hearing dropped valve. I may have missed a lot of discussion broken vs dropped as I didn't read through 168 pages of posts. Here is a good article from Engine Builder Mag explaining valve failures. A good read if anyone is interested.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2018/08/valve-failures-explained/

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Recent Changes - 2.7L Bronco V6 (Nano gen2)
- over the past 6-months there were at least three changes

1) New Valves
- 'Nano valve supplier issue was resolved with more robust design and material changes at the supplier.'
- Timeframe: ~ Summer/Fall

2) Head Assemblies - New Part#'s
- Left
-- Engineering# ML3E-6M099-DB --> new rev -DF
-- Service part# ML3Z-6049-G --> new rev -K
- Right
-- Engineering# ML3E-6F093-DB --> new rev -DH
-- Service part# ML3Z-6049-D --> new rev -J
- Timeframe: prob along w change# 3) below

3) 2.7L V6 Engine - New Part#
- Engineering# MB3E-6007-AA --> new rev -AB
- new part# prob coincident w new head assemblies
- Timeframe: appears ~ Nov/Dec ebd's

Blown Engines
- in B6g tracking, the bunches of dropped-valve failures appear to end w ebd 21224 (Aug 12) - Since then we've only seen one blown engine (21281), which could be an isolated random failure
- so far we have not seen blown engines w new part# rev -AB
- engine rev -AB still fairly new, many still low mileage

Diagram of Head Assemblies w Service part#'s (6049 overall)

2.7L Cylinder Head - diag2.jpg
This all makes sense. The service manager told me today that he saw two revisions to the part number when he put in the order for the replacement engine. Interestingly, he also said that Ford told him to order a new fuel pump. Has anyone else with a failed engine also had their fuel pump replaced?

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This all makes sense. The service manager told me today that he saw two revisions to the part number when he put in the order for the replacement engine. Interestingly, he also said that Ford told him to order a new fuel pump. Has anyone else with a failed engine also had their fuel pump replaced?
Did he say which fuel pump? They have 2...an electric in tank pump, and a cylinder head mounted DI pump. My guess is he was talking about the DI pump, which I could see as possibly being damaged in the failure

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Did he say which fuel pump? They have 2...an electric in tank pump, and a cylinder head mounted DI pump. My guess is he was talking about the DI pump, which I could see as possibly being damaged in the failure
He didn't say but I'll ask next time I speak with him. The DI pump makes more sense.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Consider this, poor fuel management due to a faulty fuel pump results in loss of power in the cylinder/cylinders resulting in a knock, or other destructive valve piston interaction? Reduced cylinder pressure during the exhaust cycle might result in early arrival of the piston at TDC, resulting in exhaust valve piston impacts.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Consider this, poor fuel management due to a faulty fuel pump results in loss of power in the cylinder/cylinders resulting in a knock, or other destructive valve piston interaction? Reduced cylinder pressure during the exhaust cycle might result in early arrival of the piston at TDC, resulting in exhaust valve piston impacts.
No that can't happen

Sponsored

aFordOwner

Raptor
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach-E, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I noticed the poster after me stated and posted revised head part numbers. That also could allow a theory of poor oil flow to the lash adjuster, which could increase lash, creating the scenario of throwing the rocker into the spring, kicking out the keepers. The 5.4 issue usually happened at higher mileage when the rocker wear combined with a failing lash adjuster would allow enough clearance to kick the rocker. It would be interesting to keep an eye for revisions to the lash adjusters, rockers, or valve retainers/keepers as well.
I was wondering the same thing 🤣🤣🤣

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He didn't say but I'll ask next time I speak with him. The DI pump makes more sense.

No way they'd reuse the HP fuel pump...

But I would assume it would come with the long block since it touches oil in internally. Maybe not.

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Joseph, not all heroes wear capes. Thanks for all of the hard work you are doing here, staying on top of this information, and maintaining a level head. (y)
How do you know he's not sitting in front of his computer wearing a cape?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yep, detonation was one of the possible failure modes that I suspected was a possibility early on... But that was ridiculed too.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve been bitching for years that Toyota hasn’t wised up and made a modern FJ40. That would be a great competitor with Jeep and now the bronco. I just sold a 1974 FJ40 last year that I loved. I just don’t have time for the upkeep anymore. Sold it for 4.5 times what I paid for it. Cannot figure out why Toyota hasn’t done this yet!
It sucks that competition is limited to just Wrangler and Bronco in the topless off-road department. And only one of those two is really available for purchase right now for most people.
Sponsored