First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's like having a case of 24 hour diarrhea and having to maintain a safe distance to the toilet! Cant wander out too far! I plan on getting a Sat phone before I take any adventures. Too bad Ford wont put out an official statement about the whole situation.
This is what I plan to buy should Ford not provide any comfort that my Engine Build is not at risk by April or June.

https://www.garmin.com/en-CA/p/765374

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 1645637016311
Sponsored

CA_Badlands

Badlands
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any extra smoke or fumes out the tailpipe?
Hopefully your dealer is taking care of your loaner vehicle without issue. You can plan on 4-8 weeks of downtime depending on parts/labor availability. At least I am, maybe they will surprise me.......
No fumes or smoke. A couple of weird knocks but that’s about it. Dealership has tried to manually rotate the pistons and it’s bound up. They’ll be scoping and/or dropping the oil pans today to look for debris and make the call about the conditon. I do have the extended warranty and maintenance and they have covered the rental car.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No fumes or smoke. A couple of weird knocks but that’s about it. Dealership has tried to manually rotate the pistons and it’s bound up. They’ll be scoping and/or dropping the oil pans today to look for debris and make the call about the conditon. I do have the extended warranty and maintenance and they have covered the rental car.
Thank you for the update! If you aren't able to get the engine build date, DM @Lucchese your vin number as it can be pulled up that way as well.

865Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMB Badsquatch, Land Rover LR3, Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After a couple days of non-response via text, I called my Service Mgr and.....he no longer works there. WTF! Waiting on a call back from my new contact. I now have zero faith in anything he told me, especially if he was finishing up his 2 week notice...... If I could spare any, I'd rip some hair out.

*edit* New contact has confirmed on backorder "until 3/3", pending his answer on how we deal with the fact that all the coolant went out the tailpipe, thereby fouling the cats. For reference it blew on 2/6 and was towed there 2/7.
I actually just came on here to see if you had updated. If you’re having withdrawals let me know and you can swing by my place and sit in mine🤓

Sponsored

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I will definitely be reporting. The fact that they haven’t recalled this yet is alarming.
Ford's busy recalling Mustangs for a blurry back-up camera image. 🤦‍♂️

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because it was built before the bad valves were available, it's actually not likely to fail based on the data to date.
That would depend on the actual defect. Both brittle valves, which would be a bad batch, and then a redesign to make them more robust have been posted as the cause. A redesign would mean that all the valves up to that point would be suspect. If the first valves were ok then a redesign would never of been necessary. You just isolate the bad parts and continue on which appears to not be the case here.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A redesign would mean that all the valves up to that point would be suspect. If the first valves were ok then a redesign would never of been necessary. You just isolate the bad parts and continue on which appears to not be the case here.
I follow your logic & appreciate your insight. But I can't get past the guesstimate that prolly 10,000ish 2.7s were delivered before the redesign. If they are ALL highly subject to catastrophe, why wouldn't Ford be more anxious to do a cheap fix rather than waiting for the grenade to go off?

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I follow your logic & appreciate your insight. But I can't get past the guesstimate that prolly 10,000ish 2.7s were delivered before the redesign. If they are ALL highly subject to catastrophe, why wouldn't Ford be more anxious to do a cheap fix rather than waiting for the grenade to go off?
Respectfully, they have not showed a concern for any of them yet. If it was a bad batch of valves and lets say they know it is about 1,000 engines, then you could also ask why have the done nothing whatsoever to prevent any more catastrophic failures on those 1,000 engines. I'm sure it's all about the $$. Probably waiting to see what percent actually fails. That's why it is so important to report failures to the NHTSA to get the ball rolling.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like you can add my ‘21 Badlands to the list. I took delivery in late Nov. and with roughly 3,200 miles, my 2.7L died on me in the middle of driving. “Trailer Brake System Failure” keeps reappearing on the display. Dealership has it now and I should know tomorrow if I had a bad valve and now a bad engine. I will get a photo of the engine manufacturing info tomorrow when I go back to the dealership. Didn’t find this blog until I had already gotten home. Totally bummed. Hopefully get a quick swap out if required.

EDIT #1: here is my engine info -
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 1645637016311
Well shit!

That makes 3 failed engines on my day 21214131426! Yours was built 156 units before mine , one was 4 units before mine, and the last was 39 after mine.

Guess I'm screwed. So much for a summer of fun!

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That would depend on the actual defect. Both brittle valves, which would be a bad batch, and then a redesign to make them more robust have been posted as the cause. A redesign would mean that all the valves up to that point would be suspect. If the first valves were ok then a redesign would never of been necessary. You just isolate the bad parts and continue on which appears to not be the case here.
I have been inclined to think this way too. Quote: "...more robust design and material changes."

CA_Badlands

Badlands
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well shit!

That makes 3 failed engines on my day 21214131426! Yours was built 156 units before mine , one was 4 units before mine, and the last was 39 after mine.

Guess I'm screwed. So much for a summer of fun!
I wouldn't plan any long distance off-road adventures any time soon. I hadn't even taken mine off road yet. This failure might be like getting a Covid diagnosis. Most people would rather just get it over with at this point.

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Update for ya’ll…got my Bronco back last week. Check out the photos of the new engine date. The Oil spout is much lower than the original and the sticker is black and to the side making it a little harder to get a picture for everyone. It is an AB and built in 22’.

86EB6B73-870B-4897-B8E6-471A0D89C959.png

6B7F07BC-36C5-4A08-947E-032C97D3EAB5.png
Sponsored