Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In theory that should work.

However, using the word reliability on the Bronco, not so much.
As much as I agree with you that in general, it's would be difficult to make anything as complex as the new Bronco reliable, and that my individual case says nothing about fleet reliability. My individual Bronco has been reliable for the first 9,000 miles and I really don't have any problems at this point. That said, watch my engine (21180xxxxxx) blow up tomorrow.

Screenshot_20220227-214920_FordPass.jpg

Maybe it's because I never got any Ford Points?
Sponsored

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There aren't many of us around. And don't think too poorly of the younger engineers. I've trained several that I'd take any day of the week. If mid level engineers don't do good work, it has a lot to do with the training and mentoring...which means some of us old guys failed them. Just my 2 cents as one of the old guys.
“If mid level engineers don't do good work, it has a lot to do with the training and mentoring...which means some of us old guys failed them. Just my 2 cents as one of the old guys.”

Excellent point. But we’ve been far too soft on the next generation.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

“If mid level engineers don't do good work, it has a lot to do with the training and mentoring...which means some of us old guys failed them. Just my 2 cents as one of the old guys.”

Excellent point. But we’ve been far too soft on the next generation.
Maybe. At times. But they have a lot more crap to deal with than we did. A bad day at school usually ended when we went home. Now it follows a kid home...not something I would have wanted to deal with. I've grown to pause when painting the younger generations with a broad brush and look at what they deal with versus us. I work with youth groups at church and at the end of the day you have pretty much the same types of kids as when I was young. Their situation is just different. Easier in places and harder in others.

Anyway...on topic - how 'bout them V6s?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2. Check the oil level before starting the engine, or switch the engine off after warming up and wait 10 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan.
And there is exactly the problem. The dipstick reads different between 10 minutes after the engine has been shut off and couple hours after the engine has been shut off.

I can see if it said wait at LEAST 10 minutes, But the fact that it continues to climb up into the twist the longer you let it sit is the part they need to fix.

69-300

Black Diamond
First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is what I miss about my first car, a 1970 VW Beetle. We have a 1968 Pontiac Firebird in the garage, but it is not as simple to work on as the Beetle.
I don't think anyone failed. I love and own many classic cars from the 50s to the 80s. Some are wonderful machines, some are not. Some are simpler, some are not (vacuum lines in an 80s V8!). Expectations have changed and so have cars. Buyers expect a lot from their cars. They break, handle and generally work much better than older cars. They are safer yet truly complicated machinery. Some VWs didn't even have a fuel gauge or a heater, let alone lane departure, heated seats, backup cameras, and engines that adjust to different Octane levels.

I am not making excuses, I own one the blown engines (its been 2 months), a dropped valve should not happen, but these things do happen and they get repaired/replaced. There have been many engines with fundamental weaknesses, from overheating Flat Head V8s, to Caddy's with 8-4-6.

There are two things that I think should be taken into account. 1) For those looking for insurance (oil change/cold start etc) there is none. It will happen as it is likely a faulty part. 2) There are no early signs, its fails when it fails.

That said, it seems to me that Ford is trying to do the right thing. People are being offered options (buy-back, replacement, compensation) and cars are getting repaired.

There are very few alternatives. I have been looking something that could replace the Bronco, in case I decided to take the buy-back. Mine is a BD so it's a very good equipment/price point. There is not a lot that compares (or is available) that is that much fun, similarly equipped and at that price point.

Just my thoughts ....as I wait for the engine to be replaced ....

Last edited:

Sponsored

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is also not a lot of alternatives, I have been looking something to replace mine, in case I decided to take the buy-back. Mine is a BD so its a very good price point. There is very little that compares (or is available) that is that much fun, well equipped and at that price point.

Just my thoughts ....as I wait for the engine to be replaced ....
I am sorry to read that your BD had a RUD. If you are able to wait for a new engine, I'd wait, as long as Ford extends your engine warranty beyond the already generous 5 years and provides a rental car for whenever it is in the shop, i.e.,. assuming you have confidence in the shop that is swapping out the engine. A first year Bronco is going to be every bit as cool to own as the first year Pontiac Firebird. But I don't think anyone will be able to keep the Bronco running for 55 years.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What coolent does the bronco take is it the motorcraft yellow 50/50 prediluted I also seen they got a gold prediluted 50/50 any difference

Last edited:

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

What coolent does the bronco take is it the motorcraft yellow 50/50 prediluted
Yellow, but I always try to buy concentrated full strength as it’s a way better value in case you need it. You pay a lot for for distilled water in 50/50. You just mix full strength 50/50 with distilled water. Pick up a 2 cup measuring cup at the dollar twenty five store so you’re not tempted to grab the one from the kitchen.

69-300

Black Diamond
First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am sorry to read that your BD had a RUD. If you are able to wait for a new engine, I'd wait, as long as Ford extends your engine warranty beyond the already generous 5 years and provides a rental car for whenever it is in the shop, i.e.,. assuming you have confidence in the shop that is swapping out the engine. A first year Bronco is going to be every bit as cool to own as the first year Pontiac Firebird. But I don't think anyone will be able to keep the Bronco running for 55 years.
Thankfully have not needed a rental, so rather not add that expense (you got to pay and then wait for reimbursement). The car is at a Ford Dealer, closest to where it broke down, not my selling dealer. Not many shops have done Bronco engine replacements, shard to gauge, but so far the feedback from those in this forum that have had a replacement seems encouraging.

fltechpilot

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Audi S3 1984 Porsche 928S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yellow, but I always try to buy concentrated full strength as it’s a way better value in case you need it. You pay a lot for for distilled water in 50/50. You just mix full strength 50/50 with distilled water. Pick up a 2 cup measuring cup at the dollar twenty five store so you’re not tempted to grab the one from the kitchen.
I always pour half a gallon of the distilled water into a kitchen pot. And then I top off the distilled water jug with the antifreeze. Then I pour the distilled water from my pot into the antifreeze jug. Now you have two premixed gallons ready to go and nothing harmful touched your measuring cups.

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have been looking something to replace mine, in case I decided to take the buy-back.
WSJ today: "With vehicles in short supply, prices are skyrocketing. Last month, 82% of new-car buyers paid more than sticker price."

You BD value has gone up...in other words don't sell it back to Ford without additional mark-up.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I always pour half a gallon of the distilled water into a kitchen pot. And then I top off the distilled water jug with the antifreeze. Then I pour the distilled water from my pot into the antifreeze jug. Now you have two premixed gallons ready to go and nothing harmful touched your measuring cups.
Nah man, you just made a gallon of 50/50 and a gallon of lemon drank.

I have enough gallons of crap laying around already. I prefer to mix as needed.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs