dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You should be able to get a 100k powertrain warranty out of this. I did. It's worth asking for.
So just curious, 45 out how many Bronco 's now on the road? I get that this is a serious issues and it sucks, but it seems like this issue is starting to get blown (pardon the pun) out of proportion, people just waiting for the engines to die.
Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You probably win the lottery if you paid. Question: Do you pray everytime you drive your Bronco?
Nope, quite the opposite, I think "well is today gonna be V-8 swap time?"

Jon_MothaFkn_Adams

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST, 2021 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So just curious, 45 out how many Bronco 's now on the road? I get that this is a serious issues and it sucks, but it seems like this issue is starting to get blown (pardon the pun) out of proportion, people just waiting for the engines to die.
I doubt very seriously every person that drives a Bronco is on this forum.

Sponsored

JonD79

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Got my Bronco back!!!
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 4022FC7C-D179-4BEF-949F-1E7349152C19

… and now it’s dented 😂😭
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 4022FC7C-D179-4BEF-949F-1E7349152C19

They’re gonna have their “paintless dent repair” guy “fix” it tomorrow. SMH.
LOL I have those same wheels on my 21 Tacoma but in black. You going to fill the caps or find new ones that dont say TRD?

Mataxis

Black Diamond
First Name
R. Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toy.Sequoia, 2020 Dodge Challenger ScatPack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe some classic Bronco center caps?

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 031E75B8-4116-4C30-AD39-EB880EDC3ACF

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Got my Bronco back!!!
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 031E75B8-4116-4C30-AD39-EB880EDC3ACF

… and now it’s dented 😂😭

They’re gonna have their “paintless dent repair” guy “fix” it tomorrow. SMH.
OUCH! I am so sorry man. That is the worst. Just enough that you see it but they probably won't want to fix it the right way. Good luck

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know this thread is too large to be read in it's entirety. The valve train has failed in the cases being traced by @Lucchese here. It is believed it has something to do with the valve production quality. It could also have something to do with the valve spring or valve guides, but the most likely issue has to do with valve stem and head not meeting spec. Valves are made up of two different metals that are friction welded together. The exhaust valve head has withstand extreme temperature, and the stem has to be strong. I do not know the specifics, but either the stem and head are of different steel alloys, or they are the same alloy but are heat treated differently. Or both, i.e.,. different steel alloys that are each heat treated differently. Both of these parts are then welded together to form one piece, and then heat treated. I don't know the process, so I could be wrong but I believe the process to weld them together is a friction weld process. One part is spun up to a high rotation speed and then pushed together with the static part resulting in both parts heating up and then fusing together from the extreme heat generated by friction.

So, there are many details involved in making a valve for a specific condition. Tensile and compressive strength, heat resistance, thermal expansion are just a few that I can think of. Exhaust valves get hotter than intake valves so they are not designed for identical conditions. I can imagine valves being produced exactly to spec, the intake valve is perfect and the exhaust valve is perfect, but when they were shipped they were mislabeled. If an intake valve was labeled an exhaust valve, it would not be able to withstand the temperature. Not sure if they are of the same dimentions though. But if they were, I could see something like that happen. A labeling error may be harder to catch than a valve being produced out of spec. Valves trains are failing and we know based on the Managers News Letter, Lima Engine Plant, that there was as problem with valve production that was corrected in 2021.
Very detailed write-up! I wish we could get that kind of detail from FORD

Sponsored

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ver
I don't know what Ford plans to hang their hat on for a value proposition. Its certainly not reliability; everyone knows Fords suck at that. Very unlikely to be innovation because they're already lagging behind some pretty sharp cookies. Can't be low cost; they already threw in the towel on the sedan market.

There's only 360M people here, and Ford's slowly pissing them off one at a time.
y insightful

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2.7 engine didn't fail completely, but I did need to have it completely removed from the Bronco and all 4 cam phasers had to be pulled and replaced. Ford did it under warranty.

I noticed a drastic improvement in power as soon as I got it back.

This happened at ~5600 miles.

Mataxis

Black Diamond
First Name
R. Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toy.Sequoia, 2020 Dodge Challenger ScatPack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Lucchese has a way of making things feel better :) he just pointed out via PM:

“you got the solid new -AB engine and with AMB 2Dr - it's a total Unicorn - could be the only one, or extremely rare, since AMB was discontinued”

Anyhow, here’s the new engine for those that may be interested. Evidently built in Feb. 2022.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] E5410B23-D17F-4A56-B1F9-B360D70CC363

OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I doubt very seriously every person that drives a Bronco is on this forum.
yes, and there's a new way to make an estimate - using the recently introduced Build-Week Spreadsheets

for instance, in March Ford sold 9,757 Broncos in U.S. ( not including other countries )

now, in the Build-Week Spreadsheets, how many B6g people posted their info, indicating March Delivery ?
- it's roughly 500 B6g'ers delivered in March ( including a few Canadians )

so this gives a rough ball-park estimate of B6g percentage ( % ) of Total Bronco Owners
~ 500 out of 9,757 would be roughly 5%
- of course some B6g'ers may not post in the Spreadsheets

- but this rough estimate says B6g represents less than 10% of Total Bronco Owners

Jon_MothaFkn_Adams

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST, 2021 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yes, and there's a new way to make an estimate - using the recently introduced Build-Week Spreadsheets

for instance, in March Ford sold 9,757 Broncos in U.S. ( not including other countries )

now, in the Build-Week Spreadsheets, how many B6g people posted their info, indicating March Delivery ?
- it's roughly 500 B6g'ers delivered in March ( including a few Canadians )

so this gives a rough ball-park estimate of B6g percentage ( % ) of Total Bronco Owners
~ 500 out of 9,757 would be roughly 5%
- of course some B6g'ers may not post in the Spreadsheets

- but this rough estimate says B6g represents less than 10% of Total Bronco Owners
Excellent stats.
Sponsored