First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Another sad blown 2.7L engine story here. I’ve been following this forum regularly since delivery and had anticipated but hoped against this moment.

I took delivery of my Bronco Outer Banks in mid-November at Bartow Ford in Lakeland, Florida, and had driven less than 5000 miles in it total when it all of a sudden died and left me stranded on the side of the interstate 3 hours from home at 3 AM this past Saturday night.

I had cruise control set to 80 when I smelled a sudden burning smell, saw white smoke billowing out of my tailpipe, and my check engine light began flashing. I watched in horror as the speed dropped from 80 to 79 to 78 to 77 and so forth, and my efforts to press the gas pedal changed nothing as I rolled to the side of the interstate.

An hour later I had it towed to Rountree Moore Ford in Lake City, Florida where I left it, waited at a Waffle House, and 4 hours later I was able to get picked up and driven the 3 hour ride back home. Monday morning when the dealer opened they were able to take a look and the dealer confirmed that the engine is dead due to an issue with coolant.

I reached out to the dealer as well as Ford customer support on the phone, and I was lucky enough to get put in a rental on Monday. The unfortunate situation I’m in is that I had to drive three hours north to Lake City where my car died and was towed to a dealer there to pick up my rental car.

I’m obviously frustrated overall by the fact that I was stranded on the side of the road with a new vehicle that I waited so long for, and now I have to wait much longer to get repaired.

I’ll update as the engine is ordered and replaced!

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I still think that if you want to get Fords attention, the people that have blown engines need to report to the NHTSA as a safety issue. I also think it is just a matter of time till this causes a serious wreck. Going down the highway at 70 and you find yourself without power brakes or steering is a bad thing!
What would Toyota do ?

Sponsored

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another sad blown 2.7L engine story here. I’ve been following this forum regularly since delivery and had anticipated but hoped against this moment.

I took delivery of my Bronco Outer Banks in mid-November at Bartow Ford in Lakeland, Florida, and had driven less than 5000 miles in it total when it all of a sudden died and left me stranded on the side of the interstate 3 hours from home at 3 AM this past Saturday night.

I had cruise control set to 80 when I smelled a sudden burning smell, saw white smoke billowing out of my tailpipe, and my check engine light began flashing. I watched in horror as the speed dropped from 80 to 79 to 78 to 77 and so forth, and my efforts to press the gas pedal changed nothing as I rolled to the side of the interstate.

An hour later I had it towed to Rountree Moore Ford in Lake City, Florida where I left it, waited at a Waffle House, and 4 hours later I was able to get picked up and driven the 3 hour ride back home. Monday morning when the dealer opened they were able to take a look and the dealer confirmed that the engine is dead due to an issue with coolant.

I reached out to the dealer as well as Ford customer support on the phone, and I was lucky enough to get put in a rental on Monday. The unfortunate situation I’m in is that I had to drive three hours north to Lake City where my car died and was towed to a dealer there to pick up my rental car.

I’m obviously frustrated overall by the fact that I was stranded on the side of the road with a new vehicle that I waited so long for, and now I have to wait much longer to get repaired.

So sorry that sucks, man! can you post the engine sticker?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Worst GOAT mode of all..."shoeleather mode"

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did the tech give you any more details on the “issue with coolant”? Was there a leak somewhere?

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sorry to hear. And….

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 1642725632236

matthiggins

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did the tech give you any more details on the “issue with coolant”? Was there a leak somewhere?
No further update - they seem nervous to give more information on details until they get more communication from Ford.

Sponsored

matthiggins

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So sorry that sucks, man! can you post the engine sticker?
I wish I had thought to take a photo of it but it wasn’t on my mind until I was in the rental and back home.

Skopje

Black Diamond
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My goodness. Glad you are ok...

matthiggins

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Man, at least you're okay - but what an ordeal
- see OP for lots of repair info
- ? do you have photo of the engine lable ser# ? - see opening post
- we're tracking the engine build-dates, and would like to include this
- if no ser#, you could send last-8 of VIN to me by DM (i.e. Conversation - private) and I can lookup engine build-date
I wish I had thought to take a photo of it but it wasn’t on my mind until I was in the rental and back home.

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Can you be more specific with “issue with the coolant”?

matthiggins

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can you be more specific with “issue with the coolant”?
I asked my dealer the same thing — they said they couldn’t provide any further details at this time. But they did confirm there was no coolant in the vehicle at the time it was inspected.
Sponsored