Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does anyone know if these Engine failures are all happening in the cold climate ?somebody told me the valves are more brittle if you’re closer to 30° are these engines blowing up in California and Arizona as well in the hot climate
Sponsored

Math4Fun77

First Edition
First Name
Nate & Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco-14 VW Jetta-04 Honda Pilot-71 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Does anyone know if these Engine failures are all happening in the cold climate ?somebody told me the valves are more brittle if you’re closer to 30° are these engines blowing up in California and Arizona as well in the hot climate
Pretty sure climate has very little to do with it and I remember reading somewhere the the valves were getting brittle as a result of the high temperatures IN THE ENGINE. Valves should be manufactured to withstand that, these are faulty.

This was in an article somewhere - maybe someone remembers which one. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

finkan13

Base
First Name
Anna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 and F 250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m from the south in northeastern MS and it’s has been in the 100’s to upper 90’s. So our climate is hot 🥵 and with the humidity is even hotter. We would love some cooler weather here . But I’ve never had any problems out of my bronco until 8/28 that was at 9,980 miles . The engine failure was a complete surprise.

Last edited:

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think that the problem was a bad batch of valve spring retainers, not the valves themselves. The issue appears to have been corrected, so you shouldn't need to lose sleep if you are outside of the known "hot zone".

Bronco Don

Black Diamond
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think that the problem was a bad batch of valve spring retainers, not the valves themselves. The issue appears to have been corrected, so you shouldn't need to lose sleep if you are outside of the known "hot zone".
I’m right I that build zone, mine was built June 13 th 2021, and I have 11,000 on it now so still worried

Sponsored

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Fastback, 2011 Ford Mustang G
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m right I that build zone, mine was built June 13 th 2021, and I have 11,000 on it now so still worried
I'm smack in the middle of the hot zone too and I have 12,845 miles. Still worried every camping trip I take that I'm going to get standard. It's really not right. It's a known issue that @Ford Motor Company is aware of yet we are driving around in a $60K ticking time bomb that we can't rely on or have to roll the dice could let us down. Honestly I've seen class action lawsuits for a whole lot less. I just wish Ford would identify the engines with the bad valves and fix them. I know I'm going to be 4 hours away from home when mine blows.

Arc

Black Diamond
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc 1965 4x4 SS Elcamino 72
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Though mine blew up in the inland northwest, it was 7/1 and warm.

finkan13

Base
First Name
Anna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 and F 250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Update on Colt Blue:
Received a message from our CSR and told me all parts have been delivered to fix the bronco ( new engine, 2 new turbos and gaskets). They are waiting on the ford shop guy to give her a call with estimated started and finish date. As he either wasn’t there yesterday or very busy. I drove to check on colt blue (wasn’t gonna bother anyone about her but I noticed my driver side window was completely up and off track. I’m surprised the window didn’t break with it being shut that way. I had my spare key, so I turned the bronco on ( didn’t crank it) to get the window to work like it should. But when closing, it won’t roll down first then let me open the door completely. Finally, I was able to get the window back up like it was suppose to be and had to climb out the back and exit from the cargo area. Cause we had storms coming and I didn’t want water to get in and short anything out on the door or cause it to have a musky wet smell on the inside due to water pouring in. I went and told Jacob at customer service desk about it and I’m gonna have to remind them to check it once the new motor is in before I pick her up. Cause I sure don’t want to miss out on anymore time with her.. Has anyone else had issues with the windows or window not properly going down and raising back up once door is shut?

Last edited:

Sponsored

cmecatchu2

Wildtrak
First Name
Anne Marie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
To whomever is updating the list please add me— I know not a 21 engine but Iat 60 miles towed to dealer— metal throughout oil and particles in filter. They are replacing engine and 2 transmission pumps as well. In my possession for less then 7 hours. I know of another poster on site having engine issues and he just picked up his during same time frame so maybe a similar build week with engines/Broncos.
Thank you for your time.

D5CD9770-077D-46C2-833E-5486D83E872F.jpeg

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This is a great thread and thanks to everyone who contributed so far.

I'm thinking of getting a used FE. They're not difficult to find. However, most of them likely have engines that were built during the 'hotspot'. I looked into one already and the engine was build in July I think (right smack dab in the middle of the hotspot).

Anyone have thoughts on how I might go about this? I was thinking of going on until I find one out of the late May to early September time frame. It's tough because I'm not going to pay 20k over MSRP, so even though they aren't too difficult to find, it's tougher to find one out of the time frame that's not way overpriced.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To whomever is updating the list please add me— I know not a 21 engine but Iat 60 miles towed to dealer— metal throughout oil and particles in filter. They are replacing engine and 2 transmission pumps as well. In my possession for less then 7 hours. I know of another poster on site having engine issues and he just picked up his during same time frame so maybe a similar build week with engines/Broncos.
Thank you for your time.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] D5CD9770-077D-46C2-833E-5486D83E872F
Do you have a confirmed cause of engine failure from your dealer? Perhaps a defective rod bearing or crank bearing? Root cause would be a great addition into this thread.

You may want to post a link to the other thread with your engine failure into this thread for easy reference.

It would be helpful for you to file a NHTSA report on your engine failure.

I've read through the other thread. It sounds like a different root cause of engine failure but the end result is the same. A very low mileage engine must be replaced.

cmecatchu2

Wildtrak
First Name
Anne Marie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do you have a confirmed cause of engine failure from your dealer? Perhaps a defective rod bearing or crank bearing? Root cause would be a great addition into this thread.

You may want to post a link to the other thread with your engine failure into this thread for easy reference.

It would be helpful for you to file a NHTSA report on your engine failure.

I've read through the other thread. It sounds like a different root cause of engine failure but the end result is the same. A very low mileage engine must be replaced.

Thread 'Hello and I need help with engine knocking issue (2.7L) Update 1'
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...th-engine-knocking-issue-2-7l-update-1.55816/

Here is link to my original thread…
@PF52Ranch— as soon as they found the metal in oil and in filter Ford told them no more digging to figure out issue with engine.. Same with the 2 transmission pumps. As soon as engineer heard them howling (whine is being polite) they said to replace and dig no further. SO I will never get true answers as to underlying issues.
Ford wants engine crated and shipped to wherever they take these failures..[/QUOTE]

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are November 21 build dates still in the clear my engine was built nov 19