Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

21-169 engine here, over 14k, hoping it doesn't fail driving from Virginia to Colorado, Moab, and somewhere on the Pacific coast, end of the month 🤞

How many Miles to be ' in the Clear ' ?

for ' Hot Zone ' engines, regarding dropped-valve failures
- from B6g data the average Mileage is low
- avg about 3000 mi - w standard-deviation about 1500

As the mileage goes above 3000 you would expect the engine to be more reliable, i.e. less vulnerable to dropped-valves
- this expectation makes sense

But how much more reliable ?
- as the odometer keeps rolling, how much safer is it ?

To answer this depends what type of distribution the events are following
- below are four types of possible mileage distribution - Normal, SHASH, Johnson, and Weibull

Normal distribution ( green line )
- this distribution would give a 6-sigma value of about 12,300 mi
- above this mileage you would expect the reliability to be about a million times better - w/r to dropped-valves
- however, other distributions have higher probability density above the 3000 mile average - e.g. Johnson & SHASH

SHASH distribution ( blue line )
- of the four listed, this is the best fit of B6g data
- for std-dev, I haven't done the calculations w transcendental functions

in General
- an engine w over 12,000 miles is prob at least 10,000x less vulnerable to dropped-valve failure

Common Sense Approach
- the plan mentioned by several people makes sense - just drive the heck out of it to get the mileage up, then don't worry about it

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] hist - 2.7L Mileage - 2022.Aug.04.b

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] hist - Blown 2.7L Stats - 2022.July.18
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How many Miles to be ' in the Clear ' ?

for ' Hot Zone ' engines, regarding dropped-valve failures
- from B6g data the average Mileage is low
- avg about 3000 mi - w standard-deviation about 1500

As the mileage goes above 3000 you would expect the engine to be more reliable, i.e. less vulnerable to dropped-valves
- this expectation makes sense

But how much more reliable ?
- as the odometer keeps rolling, how much safer is it ?

To answer this depends what type of distribution the events are following
- below are four types of possible mileage distribution - Normal, SHASH, Johnson, and Weibull

Normal distribution ( green line )
- this distribution would give a 6-sigma value of about 12,300 mi
- above this mileage you would expect the reliability to be about a million times better - w/r to dropped-valves
- however, other distributions have higher probability density above the 3000 mile average - e.g. Johnson & SHASH

SHASH distribution ( blue line )
- of the four listed, this is the best fit of B6g data
- for std-dev, I haven't done the calculations w transcendental functions

in General
- an engine w over 12,000 miles is prob at least 10,000x less vulnerable to dropped-valve failure

Common Sense Approach
- the plan mentioned by several people makes sense - just drive the heck out of it to get the mileage up, then don't worry about it

hist - 2.7L Mileage - 2022.Aug.04.b.jpg

hist - Blown 2.7L Stats - 2022.July.18.jpg
I guess at 18.5 times above the standard dev of the mean, I should feel relatively confident about my Bronco now.

At 7 std devs above the mean I would be roughly 99.9999999997440% confident in the the motor not having the valve problem.

Basically 1 in 390682215445 chance of a bad valve related failure, I can tolerate those odds, especially when you consider how many Broncos exist!

For those who are worried about this happening above 9250 miles, based on the statistics, your odds are about 1 in 147160, or less than 1 Bronco that has been produced to date.

Last edited:

Woods Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrac
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We are on vacation in Moab, UT and went to Arches National Park. While there our Bronco 2.7L Sasquatch Wildtrak with just under 10,000 miles just died and won’t start now. It’s turning over but won’t start.

We ended up having to leave it in the parking lot and get a ride to our hotel. Ford roadside assistance says I’ll have to wait till Monday before a tow truck can get out there. (It’s Saturday now).

I don’t know what to do. I know it should be covered under warranty but I’m thinking of calling a mobile mechanic and see if it’s just a bad starter. But after looking through the forums I now wonder if it’s something more serious.

OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We are on vacation in Moab, UT and went to Arches National Park. While there our Bronco 2.7L Sasquatch Wildtrak with just under 10,000 miles just died and won’t start now. It’s turning over but won’t start.

We ended up having to leave it in the parking lot and get a ride to our hotel. Ford roadside assistance says I’ll have to wait till Monday before a tow truck can get out there. (It’s Saturday now).

I don’t know what to do. I know it should be covered under warranty but I’m thinking of calling a mobile mechanic and see if it’s just a bad starter. But after looking through the forums I now wonder if it’s something more serious.

Hi Gary,

as you mentioned it is turning over - starter sounds okay in video

in B6g there are several cases of fuel pump failure in the 2.7L config
- can search this topic here in the forum

this would be my guess

Regards,
-- Joseph

CUPRA

Outer Banks
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBXSAS/'23 Camaro SS Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

What you’re experiencing is what we’ve got happening to ours right now. We were doing 75mph when it happened and had to coast across 4 lanes of traffic to safety. The starter turns over like yours but never starts.

Happened on Tuesday, got it to the dealership. Using the Ford Pass App I was able to see that no-one at the dealership looked at it till Friday, when they did, they tried to start it and two error messages showed up in the app about low fuel pressure.

I didn’t get any notifications when it happened, only when it was started at Ford. These are the messages:

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 5F72A93E-4B21-408F-B695-B5D8A97DE7F2

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] BE27CFCD-F86D-4FF9-8037-000C08BE6BB3

Sponsored

TrailRaider

Badlands
First Name
Mr. G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Mitsubishi Montero, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That engine is turning over really fast, not likely to be the starter. Indicating low to no compression. An unfortunate predicament to be for sure. Make sure you start the ball rolling directly with Ford as soon as you can, not just the dealer it goes to. Lets hope its something simple and get remedied quickly. 🍻

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sorry to hear this. Tough situation. Like others have mentioned, could be fuel pump issue others have experienced. It sounds like it’s not getting fuel when you try to turn over. Those that have had engine blow with the bad valves, to my knowledge, experienced a shuttering and obvious disruption. They couldn’t get starter to do what yours will.

Best of luck.

@Razorbak86 Is this similar to what your rig did when your fuel pump quit?

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

CUPRA

Outer Banks
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBXSAS/'23 Camaro SS Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I can update my status here, and then maintain my conversation over here: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-fuel-pump-failure.45800/page-27#post-1533825

My service advisor called a few minutes ago - it's been diagnosed that the Low Pressure Fuel Pump failed and a new one is on order, coming from Michigan, should be 3-5 days out.
So at this moment, nothing to do with the valves in the engine. Fingers crossed this is it, and we don't have an issue again, as my wife is already saying she doesn't want to go on a road trip again for a while after this!

Service advisor also said that this is the first Bronco they have had come in with this issue.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Woods Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrac
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Let us know how that works out for you.
I got in touch with a Ford customer assistance rep and they are getting a transfer driver to send my Bronco from Moab, to my local dealer in Texas to get fixed. They said they would help me with a rental vehicle once I get home.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This just in from NHTSA. I received the email from them this morning. While my anxiety goes down with every mile (currently at 11K), I'm still glad this helped bring attention to the issue.
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] NHTSA Letter 8_10

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thread has been quiet- have we worked our way through the bad batch maybe?
Sponsored