First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 2022 Wildtrak w/3,384 miles on it. Was in slow traffic today and the truck started shaking and no codes popped up but it did tell me to put in park and restart then go to drive. I pulled over and did this and was able to drive home. Called dealer and I am taking it in the morning to be looked at. Hopefully itā€™s not this but if it is, it is out of my control.
2022 models fall outside of the ā€œbad valveā€ timeline. Not to say it couldnā€™t happen to you but this thread is about catastrophic engine failures caused by the known faulty valves that were put into a lot of the 2021 2.7s.
Sponsored

BC2022

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
#68 here. Julian date 21224. Miles = 5754. Date engine seized = 11/27/22 @ 12:45AM
Dealer is saying engine definitely needs to be replaced (due to year/mileage?).
Said they won't "open-up the engine"...but that Ford will be taking it apart.

How do I add this to "the list"?? And what other steps should I now be taking.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
#68 here. Julian date 21224. Miles = 5754. Date engine seized = 11/27/22 @ 12:45AM
Dealer is saying engine definitely needs to be replaced (due to year/mileage?).
Said they won't "open-up the engine"...but that Ford will be taking it apart.

How do I add this to "the list"?? And what other steps should I now be taking.
You should report to the NHTSA. Instructions are on first post of this thread.

Or here:
NHTSA Complaint Link

glewisn

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello yā€™all, I just got my ā€˜22 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7 L on 12-12-2022. I didn't snap a picture of the Julian date yet because I didn't know about this thread yet at the time I originally discovered the issue @Lucchese

2,900 miles in, and there is a rattling, clicking noise coming from the engine.

Also, there is a squeaking, squealing noise coming from under the car.

Video of noises coming from under the car below driver and passenger side:

These noises happen after I drive for 5-10 minutes.

Anybody else experience these issues? If yes, what did Ford do to fix?

I'm posting this here because I'm not sure if it's related to the failure issue.

Will find out hopefully in 3 more days or so. Dealership service department is giving me a minimum 4 day wait to diagnose and troubleshoot.

Sponsored

BC2022

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello yā€™all, I just got my ā€˜22 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7 L on 12-12-2022. I didn't snap a picture of the Julian date yet because I didn't know about this thread yet at the time I originally discovered the issue @Lucchese

2,900 miles in, and there is a rattling, clicking noise coming from the engine.

Also, there is a squeaking, squealing noise coming from under the car.

Video of noises coming from under the car below driver and passenger side:

These noises happen after I drive for 5-10 minutes.

Anybody else experience these issues? If yes, what did Ford do to fix?

I'm posting this here because I'm not sure if it's related to the failure issue.

Will find out hopefully in 3 more days or so. Dealership service department is giving me a minimum 4 day wait to diagnose and troubleshoot.

Sorry to hear you're going through this. When you can, it would be helpful to know the Julian date. Considering I'm #68 (in terms of the # of engine failures reported on here)...I have been in your shoes. After listening to your video clips, my initial reaction is that it sounds like the infamous "faulty-valves". In my case, the entire engine had to be lifted out and replaced with a crated engine sent in from the factory. It's a "22" AB engine. The dealership did an outstanding job (loaner, and had my Bronco back w/the new engine in a little less than 4 weeks). Got it back on 12/22 and I've put about 1,000 miles on it. So far so good. I hope yours doesn't require an engine replacement, but if it does, I hope you have a similar experience as I did. Good luck...and keep us posted!

CA_Badlands

Badlands
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just received a follow up from the NHTSA to my submission regarding my engine failure asking for additional information. Has anyone else who submitted received a similar inquiry? This is roughly 1 year after submission to the NHTSA -
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] Screenshot 2023-03-07 115351

Mataxis

Black Diamond
First Name
R. Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toy.Sequoia, 2020 Dodge Challenger ScatPack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just received a follow up from the NHTSA to my submission regarding my engine failure asking for additional information. Has anyone else who submitted received a similar inquiry? This is roughly 1 year after submission to the NHTSA -
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] Screenshot 2023-03-07 115351
Yes. I just replied to the same email.

Better late than never to look into this, I guess.

I sold my OBX 2.7L 2DR auto and am enjoying my Black Diamond 2.3L 4DR manual. Glad to not have to worry about my new engine.

Bubbabow

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes get notice today also from gov. Investigator. Filled out and complained that I have a new engine with way less miles then the warrantee void at 60,000 and Ford should extend these replacements to 100,000 miles cannot get Ford to tell me if whatever the problem is it is fixed. It appears fixed per the updates on this tread but would like to hear it for this new engine from Ford or incease the warranty. But I put that on form also.

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nicely composed list. I understand every engine has its own set of issues (2.3 included) but at this point I'm feeling relieved I don't have the 2.7 on order. I really hope Ford can sort this out soon.
Have you not seen the 2.3 issue list?

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes. I just replied to the same email.

Better late than never to look into this, I guess.

I sold my OBX 2.7L 2DR auto and am enjoying my Black Diamond 2.3L 4DR manual. Glad to not have to worry about my new engine.
I just put 62k on my 2021 2.7 hotzone engine... Also glad that I don't have to worry about my new engine, it's old now.

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just put 62k on my 2021 2.7 hotzone engine... Also glad that I don't have to worry about my new engine, it's old now.
So I have to know... do you really have 62,000 miles on your Bronco? If so, that is good news for those of us that have 2.7 hotzone engines that have not failed.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I have to know... do you really have 62,000 miles on your Bronco? If so, that is good news for those of us that have 2.7 hotzone engines that have not failed.
Yes, I really have more than 62k miles on my Bronco

IMG_20230316_155328.jpg

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, I really have more than 62k miles on my Bronco

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] IMG_20230316_155328
Wow! You do some drivin man. Glad to know at least the AA valves are holding up. I was going strong with 29k until my steering gear went down late Januaryā€¦..now Iā€™m thinking of a few choice words:
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 1679014660080