First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't recall any of those turbines dropping valves at 30,000ft so thank you for that @Cat
No Sh**, I was going to post something similar last night and decided against it. That being said, airplane engines do fail in flight, only they are few and far between.
Ironically, the only engine failure I've ever experienced was a Turbine failure in a helicopter at 1500 ft. Fuel control unit failed, ultimately resulted in a shutdown engine mid-flight with 4 passengers on board.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I keep seeing varying reports on the 2.7 being the same or different between the bronco and F-150,. Does anyone know for sure which is true? Are they the same?

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No Sh**, I was going to post something similar last night and decided against it. That being said, airplane engines do fail in flight, only they are few and far between.
Ironically, the only engine failure I've ever experienced was a Turbine failure in a helicopter at 1500 ft. Fuel control unit failed, ultimately resulted in a shutdown engine mid-flight with 4 passengers on board.
an air assault family member of mine always reminds us helicopters aren’t like cars: if they’re not leaking oil, it means they ran out of oil

glad you walked away from that one, sounds terrifying!

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Saw that a medical helicopter crashed in Philly the other day. All 4 survived! Amazing what pilots can do under duress.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
an air assault family member of mine always reminds us helicopters aren’t like cars: if they’re not leaking oil, it means they ran out of oil

glad you walked away from that one, sounds terrifying!
Here's the data graph I pulled off the heli's computer after the incident. You can see that all was well, then the fuel system went haywire, and at the end, you can see engine shutoff. It's where all the data points fall off as the turbine spooled down. It was just a little crazy.

EMU.PNG

Sponsored

TravisC91

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Man, at least no accident - happened in driveway ? - I remember your post from couple days ago

- maybe you have engine label - build-date info -
- or maybe the Service Dept can take a look & provide it to you -

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] EMU.PNG
My build date was August 9. As for the engine number, I will update when I get it.

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Questions we have been asking are which cylinder failed, and intake or exhaust ( if known). Sounds like Ford has put a hold on replacements till they figure out how far the problem goes...thats not an unusual move for them when a rash of failures happens
it was cylinder 5...they said it was hard to tell on the intake vs exhaust because it was so destroyed...tech sent me a pic of the spark plug. he also said he would send me the boroscope images... so i'll update when i get em.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 1642190912116

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it was cylinder 5...they said it was hard to tell on the intake vs exhaust because it was so destroyed...tech sent me a pic of the spark plug. he also said he would send me the boroscope images... so i'll update when i get em.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 1642190912116
I'm sure you've heard this a bunch already, but have the tech send you a picture of the sticker visible from the engine bay -- more details about that sticker on page 1 of this thread.

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Someone in another thread reported their dealer has two more blown 2.7’s in the shop in Washington state. Obviously can’t count those here unless they happen to be forum members, but is it a sign of what’s happening in the wild? Hope not!
Would not surprise me in the least if there are a number of mannequins that have blown up, that nobody would ever hear about.

For everyone trying to say that it's only 26 and it's a tiny number, the number of owners on this forum is very small. And in some cases, the forum may be giving people hope. The two people I know personally who have taken delivery of their bronco, are both proud owners of blown up 2.7's sitting in a dealership. One joined this forum after I sent him the link and is counted in this thread. The other is a die hard ford fan who wants nothing to do with joining a forum to bash his new pride and joy. He's on zero social media or forums, and for that I'm actually a little jealous. If I were to go solely off my real world experiences, 100% of them are trash.

There is a major issue here, and the number of people blindly burying their head in the sand is astounding.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Doesnt look lean. Ground strap is gone, but I still don't see any slag. I can't see any way to blame this on a tuning issue from spark plug pics I've seen so far. That coupled w/owners not noticing any running symptoms prior to failure leads me to the working theory that manufacturing process was flawed. Must have been somewhat rare to escape QC checks. I think we are close to finding a date range Hotspot that will hopefully help.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would not surprise me in the least if there are a number of mannequins that have blown up, that nobody would ever hear about.

For everyone trying to say that it's only 26 and it's a tiny number, the number of owners on this forum is very small. And in some cases, the forum may be giving people hope. The two people I know personally who have taken delivery of their bronco, are both proud owners of blown up 2.7's sitting in a dealership. One joined this forum after I sent him the link and is counted in this thread. The other is a die hard ford fan who wants nothing to do with joining a forum to bash his new pride and joy. He's on zero social media or forums, and for that I'm actually a little jealous. If I were to go solely off my real world experiences, 100% of them are trash.

There is a major issue here, and the number of people blindly burying their head in the sand is astounding.
26 out of millions of 2.7L made. :p

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Doesnt look lean. Ground strap is gone, but I still don't see any slag. I can't see any way to blame this on a tuning issue from spark plug pics I've seen so far. That coupled w/owners not noticing any running symptoms prior to failure leads me to the working theory that manufacturing process was flawed. Must have been somewhat rare to escape QC checks. I think we are close to finding a date range Hotspot that will hopefully help.
Agreed.

There is no mystery or magic here, it's defective valves, or possibly a specification/engineering error for the valves. Watch some valve manufacturing videos on YouTube, there are a hundred avenues of manufacturing failure, starting with poor alloy raw material.

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here's the data graph I pulled off the heli's computer after the incident. You can see that all was well, then the fuel system went haywire, and at the end, you can see engine shutoff. It's where all the data points fall off as the turbine spooled down. It was just a little crazy.

can't you guys take this shit somewhere else, this is a serious thread and does not need sidetracks! thanks to all for understanding
Sponsored