silveragemarvel

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Are the cam shaft gears driven by metal timing chain or synthetic belt?

IV.f

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JK
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It took me four attempts before I succeded in changing this completly wrong information at Wikipedia.
It´s CGI in both Nanos.
The lower part of the block is in aluminium but the main parts with higher loads are CGI
https://www.chastangford.com/static/dealer-18817/pdf/Specs-Houston-TX.pdf

Ford Bronco 2.7L CAST IRON BLOCK - WHY? 1597423198748

Ford Bronco 2.7L CAST IRON BLOCK - WHY? 1597423198748

from
https://www.sintercast.com/market/sintercast-passenger-vehicles/

You are correct even per ford the 3.0 is CGI (only direct injection though)

https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/models/explorer-st/

Ford Bronco 2.7L CAST IRON BLOCK - WHY? 1597424861657

mrklas

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HRV
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I keep trying to get over this, but I don't want the 2.3, and I don't want an auto. I think about waiting for the V8 from Jeep, but then I drink my first cup of coffee of the day, and realize that Jeep will not put a manual behind the V8, only the 8-speed ZF, so I'd be left with the 3.6 Pentastar if I want a manual in a Jeep. I bought a very average truck (3rd gen Tacoma) when there were better options in the market - because I wanted a manual. The limited options provided by manufacturers are making it so manual-buyers have to sacrifice power, even reliability (in some cases), and choice, to stick with the stick. At first I was more conciliatory, and I was like "Its cool Ford at least provided a manual with the base engine, and the creeper gear is awesome" now I'm more "F-that, how can I feel good about buying a less powerful, less reliable engine engine when the 2.7 is sitting there on the dealer's lot, like a temptress." Aaaand, maybe the coffee was too strong.
Stickshifter I can empathize with you. BMW used to offer every car as a manual - even their luxury oriented 7-series. And since the 90s manual sales volumes have dropped.

Ford and other OEMs need to be financially prudent so R&D $ for powertrains are the highest.

One thing to remember - driving a car will be equivalent to manual versus auto in the next few decades. Automotive journalists have forecast children born after Febuary of 2017 are less likely to get a driver's license than have a driver's license based on the expectation of driverless cars!

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sponsored

Nethark

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2015 F150 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Nethark

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2015 F150 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
METRICVALUE
Engine familyEcoBoost
Displacement3.0 liter
AspirationTwin turbo
Configuration & cylindersV configuration, six cylinders
Vehicle engine orientationTransverse / longitudinal
Valve configurationDual overhead cam (DOHC) with variable camshaft timing (VCT)
Assembly sitesLima, Ohio
PredecessorFord Duratec V6
SuccessorCurrently none
Specifications
METRICVALUE
Bore85.0 mm
Stroke86 mm
Compression ratio9.5:1
Max power @ RPM494 hp @ TBA
Max torque @ RPM630 lb-ft @ TBA
Cylinder headAluminum
Cylinder blockCast aluminum
Camshaft driveChain

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It took me four attempts before I succeded in changing this completly wrong information at Wikipedia.
Just proving that Wiki anything is complete
bull.gif
People can write anything true or false but mostly false, but sheeple will believe because they saw it on the internet.
thanks for correcting it. ?

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It does have me thinking that when it comes time to rebuild the tired 2.7L that I've put way too many miles to just go ahead and punch it out to 3.0L?. Now I'm curious what's different, if anything, about the heads, intake, turbos to account for that increased displacement.

Sponsored

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This was a very informative thread and confirmed what I knew. Thanks guys.

Dking79bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
D'Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not enough
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My concern for the 2.7 is how much plastic is used in the engine package. The plastic oil pan is my main issue. Also does anyone know how many main journals bearings is holding the crank down

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My concern for the 2.7 is how much plastic is used in the engine package. The plastic oil pan is my main issue. Also does anyone know how many main journals bearings is holding the crank down
Mechanic here - plastic oil pans are amazing. Unless there's an error in the mold you really don't have to worry about them unless you plan on dropping the engine on a rock. Regardless of pan in that situation though, you're going to be losing your oil. That's why there's skid plates.

It's a V6... there's four. It's also REALLY cool how they attach. They're fracture-split, the same way you're starting to see new connecting rods. The block gets cast with the main journals as one piece, then they laser-etch where the bearing cap and block are going to be split. They use a special machine to essentially break off the caps from the block. This is an extremely strong setup. What once took six studs to secure a main cap to a block now only takes two bolts, while still being stronger. The big downside is that if you mess up either the block's or the main cap's mating surface, then you need a new block.

Paccar has been using CGI blocks for over a decade now with the MX-13, and even longer in Europe where the engine originated. IMO they have the toughest long block in the industry. The technology is beyond proven and very strong. So much so that all of the next-gen Cummins engines that will based on their modular platforms (like the upcoming X12) are going to be CGI blocks. It's so much stronger and much, much lighter than traditional iron since you don't need as much material.

Main caps:

Ford Bronco 2.7L CAST IRON BLOCK - WHY? 1601826098436

Maiting point of a con-rod (notice how you can't see it since it was originally made as a single unit then fracture-split)

Ford Bronco 2.7L CAST IRON BLOCK - WHY? 1601826223407
Sponsored