Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They posted on Insta they will be working with the Bronco. Accessport is where it's at. I've used it on 3 different vehicles. That's about all I use from cobb though. The rest of their parts tend to be on the expensive side for what you get. Especially their packages.
Same all I want is a stage 1 93 octane map. Should give a nice power boost and smooth throttle response if it’s like every other map I’ve had from them.
Sponsored

blkreaper

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Camaro SS m6, GX470, E39 & E24 BMW, 2005 Range
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
TFL TRUCK - 2.7 VS 5.0L AT THE DRAG STRIP

This is a great video by TFL TRUCK showing how fast a lightly tuned 2.7L is versus a lightly tuned Coyote V8. This is the main reason I'm happy the Bronco is getting the 2.7 vs the V8. It will be much easier to tune them for more HP, and it will only require a programmer.
There's a huge difference that you're over looking. Never speak in such broad absolutes.

If you want slightly more horsepower, yes the 2.7 is easier.

If you want a lot more horsepower, the V8 is easier.

If you want a smooth power band, you want a V8.

if you want X amount of power, which one do you think is going to be more reliable?

there are many examples but each engine is better in its own area.

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There's a huge difference that you're over looking. Never speak in such broad absolutes.

if you want X amount of power, which one do you think is going to be more reliable?

Maybe you’re right in a general sense, but I can tell you that my 5.0 Coyote is not a low-end torque monster, even after I upgraded to GT350 intake, throttle body, catback exhaust and tune. It does not have a linear power band. It is a dog at low RPM.

Meanwhile the 2.3L in my Ranger gets a surge of torque in the 2000rpm range that doesn’t seem to taper off.

Yeah in a straight line brawl, my Mustang will keep going to 160+mph and stomp the 2.3L, but there’s a reason the Bronco’s speedometer only goes to 120mph. And on the low end those turbo engines are a force to be reckoned with. Better mileage, better low end torque, lighter weight, but they sound like shit. Oh well, you can’t have everything!

Sponsored
OP
OP
BraptorAddict

BraptorAddict

Wildtrak
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Sure... absolutes aren't always appropriate, but let me get specific for a moment:

-The 2.7L V6 was designed, from the beginning, for forced-induction. It is a turbo-motor architecture from top to bottom. The layout, materials and design support high boost and appropriate cooling. Adding additional boost will have a pretty minimal effect on engine life.

- V8's are no smoother than V6's nowadays so either is going to work fine. Modern balance-shaft engine design allows either motor to spin pretty freely.

-Personally I prefer the large amount of low-end torque that the 2.7LTTV6 offers over the more linear (but less useful) powerband in the V8. Moving big tires at slow speeds requires torque, and between the 10spd auto, the low range transfer case, and the low-end torque in the engine, the Bronco should be just fine.

-The Bronco isn't a vehicle that needs crazy-high horsepower... it's not a racecar, it's an offroad/overland vehicle. I personally think that the 2.7L is a STRONG motor from the factory, so I would only ever want a modest increase in power (400hp is a nice, round number).

-The Bronco engine bay is too small (IMHO) for a large radiator. The biggest problem with making a LOT of horsepower is COOLING it. Turbo V8's require MASSIVE radiators to keep them from overheating... there just isn't that kind of room.

-Honestly, I think more people will end up buying the 2.3L V4 than we might expect, because that motor is going to offer PLENTY of capability for the average buyer. Certainly this would be the best 'overland' motor due to the increase in gas mileage (and range).

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had both the 2.7EB and Coyote V8 . I love the V8 sound. Other than that, the 2.7 is superior. Mileage, check, HP, check, smooth power delivery, check. Towing, much better. I drag raced my buddy in his coyote F150 and it isn’t even close in real world driving, the 2.7 just destroyed it and the gap gets wider as speeds increase. Coyotes are starting to get into oil consumption issues as they try and keep it EPA compliant and fuel consumption competitive as well, from what I have read and seen recently (not a mechanic, so this is not first hand knowledge). My last Chevy with its cylinder deactivation and low tension rings used oil like a Subaru ?

ndegnan1992

Big Bend
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sorry for the ignorant questions, I’m just getting into the world of auto tuning and I know almost nothing (but I’m actively attempting to learn).

How much does a tune normally run?
Where does one go to get one of these tunes done?
I’m assuming that adding HP will obviously negatively affect GPM, but how drastically does it fall off?
And last stupid question is does adding a tune void any factory warranty?

Thanks guys, this forum has been crazy informative!

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sorry for the ignorant questions, I’m just getting into the world of auto tuning and I know almost nothing (but I’m actively attempting to learn).

How much does a tune normally run?
Where does one go to get one of these tunes done?
I’m assuming that adding HP will obviously negatively affect GPM, but how drastically does it fall off?
And last stupid question is does adding a tune void any factory warranty?

Thanks guys, this forum has been crazy informative!
Usually a tune is $600-$800 and includes the necessary hardware to plug into the vehicles ODB port and flash the computer(s) - engine control, transmission control, etc.

Some tunes (like Roush or Ford Performance) are sold in “packs” of good, better, best where they come with extra hardware goodies like intakes, oil filters or exhaust upgrades. Those can get much more expensive but also worth it in the long run.

Tuning doesn’t really hurt miles per gallon much unless you’re hot rodding around with a lead foot, which you probably will be ?

Tuning can void engine warranty (not clear cut), but some tunes, again Roush and Ford Performance, come with their own warranties that cover damage linked back to the tune. These are “blessed” by Ford if installed by a dealership or ASE-certified mechanic.

ndegnan1992

Big Bend
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Usually a tune is $600-$800 and includes the necessary hardware to plug into the vehicles ODB port and flash the computer(s) - engine control, transmission control, etc.

Some tunes (like Roush or Ford Performance) are sold in “packs” of good, better, best where they come with extra hardware goodies like intakes, oil filters or exhaust upgrades. Those can get much more expensive but also worth it in the long run.

Tuning doesn’t really hurt miles per gallon much unless you’re hot rodding around with a lead foot, which you probably will be ?
Thanks for the info! Damn i was hoping it would kill the MPG so I could talk myself out of it ?

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi, boomer here and i have a question for y'all ..... does a tune increase the tow capacity? cuz if not, then why are y'all talking about this stuff when the Bronco is clearly an offroad capable vehicle and not a drag racer!

blkreaper

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe you’re right in a general sense, but I can tell you that my 5.0 Coyote is not a low-end torque monster, even after I upgraded to GT350 intake, throttle body, catback exhaust and tune. It does not have a linear power band. It is a dog at low RPM.

Meanwhile the 2.3L in my Ranger gets a surge of torque in the 2000rpm range that doesn’t seem to taper off.

Yeah in a straight line brawl, my Mustang will keep going to 160+mph and stomp the 2.3L, but there’s a reason the Bronco’s speedometer only goes to 120mph. And on the low end those turbo engines are a force to be reckoned with. Better mileage, better low end torque, lighter weight, but they sound like shit. Oh well, you can’t have everything!
problem is the op is not talking about the bronco and is saying it generally. I have no problem with the bronco engine options but generally saying the 2.7 is faster than 5.0 is wrong.

but to that point, why does it matter which one is faster? This is a truck

blkreaper

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not to mention the fact that after a while you get sick of the drone that V8 with an exhaust makes. Sure, it's fun for a while but for me personally I'd rather have a quieter exhaust in the long run. Some aftermarket manufacturers are even creating quieter systems that still get performance benefits or at least an option to quiet the exhaust when say driving long distances on the highway.
ive never had drone. Your exhaust must have sucked

blkreaper

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 5.0 does sound better while losing, so bam!

Funny thing is, my friend has a built Focus ST, faster than my GT. It happens. I love turbos.
I don’t understand you guys. Any built engine can beat any other engine. It’s always the people who have never built an engine that speak the most

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Hi, boomer here and i have a question for y'all ..... does a tune increase the tow capacity?
No, it doesn't affect tow capacity

why are y'all talking about this stuff when the Bronco is clearly an offroad capable vehicle and not a drag racer!
Because I want to shit on Wranglers, Gladiators, Tacomas, 4runners, ZR2's, etc. from a stoplight.
Sponsored