Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I REALLY wonder if Ford corrected this issue with the dipsticks on the 2022's! Given Ford's track record I sincerely hope so!
Any 22 owners that can confirm an accurate oil reading?
Sponsored

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If anyone has a 22 can you post a pic of your dipstick stock number?

Scott2373

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford F150, '18 Wrangler Sahara, 08 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I just bought the Dorman yesterday. I still have a couple thousand miles until my next oil change, but I anticipate this one being the best choice, since it's most closely related to the factory design. After the flow is under control, this can be removed, like the factory one, to get all the rest of the oil out. I always ride up the front on ramps to ensure I get as much old oil out as possible.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One idea... Check you dipstick after the engine has been sitting all night and mark or take a picture.

Drain your oil for at least 1 hour if not longer. Longer if you actually started it after letting it sit overnight.

Measure what you drained out. Should be 7 qts. If so, you now know where 7 qrts is on your dipstick.

The key to this puzzle is that stupid check after 15 minutes rule. We know, without a doubt, that It takes much longer than 15 minutes for all the oil to drain back to the pan. So Ford is basically telling you to check your oil at some random period in the middle of the drain back cycle.

It will never be consistent.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Iā€™m so confused. The manual says check the oil before starting the engine or after at least 15 minutes. Either way, I find the dipstick very hard to read.

I just did my first oil change at 5150ish miles. Replaced with Mobil 1 truck & suv full synthetic. Carries the required 961 rating according to bottle.

I let it the warm oil drain for 45+ minutes with oil filter housing removed, oil fill cap removed, and even dipstick unseated to allow as much air in as possible. My drain pan doesnā€™t have exact measurements but it looked above 6 (as judged by eye between 5 & 10 markers). I put 6.5 in, did the flat foot crank, started, idled for 10, and tried to check after 15 mins. Tbh I canā€™t tell where the hell the oil is on the dipstick.

Then drove around the block, think Iā€™ll check in the morning before starting it (as the manual states), but people in this thread saying you donā€™t want to check completely cold? That seems to differ from what the manual says.

TL;DR I changed my oil and have no idea how to tell if the appropriate amount is now in there lol. I donā€™t have a ton of experience doing my own oil changes, but Iā€™ve always been able to read a dipstickā€¦
Try this:

Pull your dipstick out, and instead of trying to look at it, place it horizontally on a clean shop towel and slide it. Basically you're wiping off the oil crossways which should leave a clear mark on the rag that you can see and compare to the line on the dipstick.

Sponsored

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I contacted Ford customer service through the chat feature on Ford.com
The person that helped me said the dip stick part number for my VIN (2021 Badlands with the 2.7L) is MB3Z-6750-B

My dipstick part number is FT4E-6750-BF.
Ford Bronco 2.7L Oil Change Tips + Replacement Drain Plugs Bronco dipstick

Online customer service couldn't help beyond that and directed me to my dealer.
I called my dealer and talked to two people and transferred to a 3rd. They want me to bring it in and check it out themselves. They said they'd even do an oil change from start to finish for a more thorough examination. I'd do that if they replaced my fresh Amsoil with Amsoil and an Amsoil filter.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I contacted Ford customer service through the chat feature on Ford.com
The person that helped me said the dip stick part number for my VIN (2021 Badlands with the 2.7L) is MB3Z-6750-B

My dipstick part number is FT4E-6750-BF.
Bronco dipstick.jpg

Online customer service couldn't help beyond that and directed me to my dealer.
I called my dealer and talked to two people and transferred to a 3rd. They want me to bring it in and check it out themselves. They said they'd even do an oil change from start to finish for a more thorough examination. I'd do that if they replaced my fresh Amsoil with Amsoil and an Amsoil filter.
So I checked completely cold this morning, and while itā€™s very hard to discern where the ā€œlineā€ is, I assume was reading over because the max fill hole had oil in it.

Drained 0.5qt (which puts it at exactly 6 going in), and it now reads just below the max fill hole completely cold.

So it looks like my experience is mirroring others in that even after letting drain for an excessive amount of time, it only took 6 to get to maxā€¦

Will re-check warm (15 mins after turning off). This is so dumb. One part of your gut says to assume the stick is wrong because of how long you let it drain and the fact that they claim it has 7qt capacity. But the stick is the only measuring tool we have, so to disobey it means youā€™re 100% blind guessing.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Damn....is this confusion still going on? I read this thread back in October, and figured by the time I took delivery of my 2.7 (Next week or so), we'd finally have some clarity. Never in my life have I seen such bewilderment over an oil change..... check it hot, check it cold, check if after 15 minutes, after 2 hours of draining..... is it 6, 6.5, 7....

I'm dreading my first oil change now bc I'm gonna have zero idea what to do. Ha

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Damn....is this confusion still going on? I read this thread back in October, and figured by the time I took delivery of my 2.7 (Next week or so), we'd finally have some clarity. Never in my life have I seen such bewilderment over an oil change..... check it hot, check it cold, check if after 15 minutes, after 2 hours of draining..... is it 6, 6.5, 7....

I'm dreading my first oil change now bc I'm gonna have zero idea what to do. Ha
A known issue that is NOT addressed by a manufacturer will keep coming back!

I assume/hope you're getting a 22 next week ... if so can you plz take a picture of the p/n on the dipstick and check you oil level ...

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I assume/hope you're getting a 22 next week ... if so can you plz take a picture of the p/n on the dipstick and check you oil level ...

Yea, lemme get over to the 1/3 thread l. Several guys have taken delivery.

@daddycreswell is yours a 2.7?

Sponsored

daddycreswell

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
These guys need a pic of the oil dip stick to see if it changed.

Assuming yours is a 2022
I guess in particular the part number of the dipstick, might not ā€œlookā€ all that different even if they have changed itā€¦

daddycreswell

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

These guys need a pic of the oil dip stick to see if it changed.

Assuming yours is a 2022
Yep mine is a 22, picture attached. My p/n is ET4E-6750-BF D454A

20220124_120112.jpg

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yep mine is a 22, picture attached. My p/n is ET4E-6750-BF D454A

Ford Bronco 2.7L Oil Change Tips + Replacement Drain Plugs 20220124_120112
This looks to match the ā€˜21. Sadface, looks like no new clarity to the issue!
Sponsored