Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It locks with the spring wave. The spring wave makes it more solid in my opinion than the factory plug which just quarter turns and has no tension.

Ford Bronco 2.7L Oil Change Tips + Replacement Drain Plugs F0492CB8-C10E-4FBD-961B-D021AB15F4F4

The two tangs on the factory plug snap into grooves to keep the plug from backing out under vibration. I was curious if the Ronin plug was anti-rotated as well, or just held in with the spring load. Really prefer a mechanical locking method vs. friction locking.

I've noticed that the UPR plugs and other aftermarket plugs are anti-rotated like the OEN plug.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Laura Z. Wrote an article for Bronco Ford spec fluids…

https://thebronconation.com/the-recommended-fluids-filters-and-components-of-the-2021-ford-bronco/

According to Ford they specify 5W-30 WSS-M2C961-A1.
822DCB9C-FA13-46A1-9F3C-D600DFC07311.png

So whatever oil you chose make sure you see the Ford WSS-M2C861-A1 spec that meets or exceeds this specification.

28C82361-EE6E-465B-86B1-BF3BF20C4353.jpeg

Ford via Bronco Nation article for all fluids
F0492CB8-C10E-4FBD-961B-D021AB15F4F4.png
I still can't get over how they recommend a synthetic blend instead of full synthetic. It seems like the consensus is to go full synthetic. Wish I knew it was simply cost cutting or there was more to it.

OS Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The two tangs on the factory plug snap into grooves to keep the plug from backing out under vibration. I was curious if the Ronin plug was anti-rotated as well, or just held in with the spring load. Really prefer a mechanical locking method vs. friction locking.

I've noticed that the UPR plugs and other aftermarket plugs are anti-rotated like the OEN plug.
The installation instructions call for inserting the Ronin plug with a groove it has in it at the 7 - 8 o'clock position then rotating it clockwise to 12 while pushing it in. It sits the same way the original plug does, but uses the spring washer to ensure that it won't vibrate out.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Resurrecting this thread to ask the early users if they are still happy with their aftermarket oil drain plugs.

So, are you still happy with your aftermarket oil drain plugs? I was planning to just reuse my factory plastic but since it needs to be replaced sooner than later, probably going with an aftermarket. Those who do shorter interval oil changes will end up saving money with a better plug. So the question is, IS your Plug working OK?

Really hoping to hear about the Fumoto (?) that is being beta tested.

Sponsored

Lucky Nut

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Resurrecting this thread to ask the early users if they are still happy with their aftermarket oil drain plugs.

So, are you still happy with your aftermarket oil drain plugs? I was planning to just reuse my factory plastic but since it needs to be replaced sooner than later, probably going with an aftermarket. Those who do shorter interval oil changes will end up saving money with a better plug. So the question is, IS your Plug working OK?

I installed the Ronin plug during my first oil change. Seems to be doing the job. No leaking. I haven’t gotten to change #2 yet so I can’t really give a good answer, sorry. I’m excited at the idea of that oil not coming at me at 100mph.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just did my first change. And boy did that factory plug (with hot oil) real make a helluva mess.
Installed the Ronin, was concerned because it doesn’t “lock in” like the factory, seems a bit loose but I’m trusting the spring washer to do what it is designed to do.
no leaks while run testing, so should be fine.
still makes me nervous though!
Ford Bronco 2.7L Oil Change Tips + Replacement Drain Plugs 2C995ECC-E106-4D6A-8BBB-95419A8A139E

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just did my first change. And boy did that factory plug (with hot oil) real make a helluva mess.
Installed the Ronin, was concerned because it doesn’t “lock in” like the factory, seems a bit loose but I’m trusting the spring washer to do what it is designed to do.
no leaks while run testing, so should be fine.
still makes me nervous though!
2C995ECC-E106-4D6A-8BBB-95419A8A139E.jpeg
The Ronin plug should not be loose, so if you can, tighten it hard by HAND only ... the spring is supposed to crush .... the only reason to take it off later is to see if the magnet has caught any metal shavings, otherwise its install and forget.
If you do take it off, make sure you order a new spring before doing it.
my 2 cents

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I wish I found this thread before I did my first oil change.

I opened the filler cap, removed the skid plates, drained the oil (made a mess), opened the oil filter housing, then let it drain for half an hour.

I put in 6 quarts of Amsoil OE full synthetic 5W-30. After 10 minutes, I flat foot cranked it anf checked the dipstick which was halfway in the hatch. So I added more. Whoops. After driving it for half an hour, I came home, shut it down, let it set, and checked again. WAAAAAAY overfilled. Had to drain out about a quart and a half.

I'll check it again tomorrow morning.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I opened the filler cap, removed the skid plates, drained the oil (made a mess), opened the oil filter housing, then let it drain for half an hour.

I put in 6 quarts of Amsoil OE full synthetic 5W-30. After 10 minutes, I flat foot cranked it anf checked the dipstick which was halfway in the hatch. So I added more. Whoops. After driving it for half an hour, I came home, shut it down, let it set, and checked again. WAAAAAAY overfilled. Had to drain out about a quart and a half.

I would do some research. At least one thread here has reported a 7qt fill and that the full reading is above the hash marks (in the “twist of the dipstick). I did the 7qt fill and came up with the same mark on my dipstick.

Sponsored

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would do some research. At least one thread here has reported a 7qt fill and that the full reading is above the hash marks (in the “twist of the dipstick). I did the 7qt fill and came up with the same mark on my dipstick.
Mine was over the top hole “max“ mark and into the twist from the factory. Drained and measured 7 quarts came out. Put 7 quarts back in.

B67BFF1E-DFF2-421A-99DA-43439CF552F0.jpeg

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine was over the top hole “max“ mark and into the twist from the factory. Drained and measured 7 quarts came out. Put 7 quarts back in.

Ford Bronco 2.7L Oil Change Tips + Replacement Drain Plugs B67BFF1E-DFF2-421A-99DA-43439CF552F0
Similar here. I think it’s the right level. I have had no obvious adverse effects.

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just added a half quart (meaning I've put in 6 quarts total) and the oil is above the max fill hole. As others have said, I've changed a lot of oil in my 56 years and never had to arm wrestle a dipstick like this.
Ford Bronco 2.7L Oil Change Tips + Replacement Drain Plugs E7BBB6ED-7DA7-4631-903A-D010BC1D16DE

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

6.5 qts should be good ...... unfortunately you cant go by the dipstick Ford has suppled with the Bronco

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just added a half quart (meaning I've put in 6 quarts total) and the oil is above the max fill hole. As others have said, I've changed a lot of oil in my 56 years and never had to arm wrestle a dipstick like this.
Ford Bronco 2.7L Oil Change Tips + Replacement Drain Plugs E7BBB6ED-7DA7-4631-903A-D010BC1D16DE
I wonder if they changed the dipstick on the 22's or if they will keep ignoring their customer base
Sponsored