John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I checked the level in the used oil container and it's just under 7 quarts. Take into account the amount I spilled on the garage floor, and I'm calling it 7 even. So I just added the 7th quart back in.
Sponsored

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lol Now I'm freaked out. I checked the dipstick this morning and it's OVER the twist.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

lol Now I'm freaked out. I checked the dipstick this morning and it's OVER the twist.
read this thread from the start ... it should help

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

read this thread from the start ... it should help
I read this one and all 15 pages of another one. Unless I missed it, there's been no official definitive answer.

If I didn't get all the old oil out, I'm overfilled. If I drain out 1 quart, I could be under filled.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I read this one and all 15 pages of another one. Unless I missed it, there's been no official definitive answer.

If I didn't get all the old oil out, I'm overfilled. If I drain out 1 quart, I could be under filled.
There is NO "official definitive answer". Ford keeps ignoring this problem and its customers. THAT is the issue.

Sponsored

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Started it and let it idle until it came up to operating temp. Turned it off and let it rest for 15 minutes. Checked the distick and it's over the max fill hole but not in the twist. That's that. I'm going with it.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’m so confused. The manual says check the oil before starting the engine or after at least 15 minutes. Either way, I find the dipstick very hard to read.

I just did my first oil change at 5150ish miles. Replaced with Mobil 1 truck & suv full synthetic. Carries the required 961 rating according to bottle.

I let it the warm oil drain for 45+ minutes with oil filter housing removed, oil fill cap removed, and even dipstick unseated to allow as much air in as possible. My drain pan doesn’t have exact measurements but it looked above 6 (as judged by eye between 5 & 10 markers). I put 6.5 in, did the flat foot crank, started, idled for 10, and tried to check after 15 mins. Tbh I can’t tell where the hell the oil is on the dipstick.

Then drove around the block, think I’ll check in the morning before starting it (as the manual states), but people in this thread saying you don’t want to check completely cold? That seems to differ from what the manual says.

TL;DR I changed my oil and have no idea how to tell if the appropriate amount is now in there lol. I don’t have a ton of experience doing my own oil changes, but I’ve always been able to read a dipstick…

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’m so confused. The manual says check the oil before starting the engine or after at least 15 minutes. Either way, I find the dipstick very hard to read.

I just did my first oil change at 5150ish miles. Replaced with Mobil 1 truck & suv full synthetic. Carries the required 961 rating according to bottle.

I let it the warm oil drain for 45+ minutes with oil filter housing removed, oil fill cap removed, and even dipstick unseated to allow as much air in as possible. My drain pan doesn’t have exact measurements but it looked above 6 (as judged by eye between 5 & 10 markers). I put 6.5 in, did the flat foot crank, started, idled for 10, and tried to check after 15 mins. Tbh I can’t tell where the hell the oil is on the dipstick.

Then drove around the block, think I’ll check in the morning before starting it (as the manual states), but people in this thread saying you don’t want to check completely cold? That seems to differ from what the manual says.

TL;DR I changed my oil and have no idea how to tell if the appropriate amount is now in there lol. I don’t have a ton of experience doing my own oil changes, but I’ve always been able to read a dipstick…
I felt the same way today... exact same way.

And I am still !@#!@# confused as hell.. 6 or 7 quarts? above the hash marks on the twist or not?

I seriously thought about switching to Royal Purple today so I could see it better.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I felt the same way today... exact same way.

And I am still !@#!@# confused as hell.. 6 or 7 quarts? above the hash marks on the twist or not?

I seriously thought about switching to Royal Purple today so I could see it better.
The fact that the dipstick is hard to read is one thing, and then add to that the confusion about when to read it (people seeing much higher levels when cold vs. 15 mins after shutoff), etc. and it becomes VERY murky. Like, what should I be seeing on the dipstick given my astrological sign, the phase of the moon, barometric pressure, and volume of oil I put in?!

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Started it and let it idle until it came up to operating temp. Turned it off and let it rest for 15 minutes. Checked the distick and it's over the max fill hole but not in the twist. That's that. I'm going with it.
I think this is where mine is right now

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This has me so twisted that I drained half a quart tonight.

It's insanity.
I haven’t put the shield on yet in case I need to drain any, but I didn’t get a fancy drain plug so it would be a nightmare if I have to…

here I was thinking I was safe & in the clear from having to drain any given I let it drain for an hour and put 6.5 in. But now I’m not so sure. Maybe it was overfill from factory and even though I def drained more than 6, it didn’t need more than 6? AHHH! But I’m also not confident that I’m reading the dipstick right OR that the dipstick is even accurate given all these threads…

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven’t put the shield on yet in case I need to drain any, but I didn’t get a fancy drain plug so it would be a nightmare if I have to…

here I was thinking I was safe & in the clear from having to drain any given I let it drain for an hour and put 6.5 in. But now I’m not so sure. Maybe it was overfill from factory and even though I def drained more than 6, it didn’t need more than 6? AHHH! But I’m also not confident that I’m reading the dipstick right OR that the dipstick is even accurate given all these threads…
That's the problem, and it's absurd that a major manufacturer hasn't corrected it. The dipstick needs to be accurate. We can't have a dipstick indicate a massively over filled crankcase (oil past the twist) when we fill it with the required 7 quarts of oil.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

I was able to let a little oil out with the stock drain plug with zero mess. I could regulate the flow just fine.. Don't worry about it.. well the drain plug... Who knows how much oil I have in there or need?
Sponsored