First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I still wonder about this. If it is important and Ford built it as a feature, why did we/I have to learn about it on an Internet forum.

Did I miss it when I read the manual? Do my other 2 Eco-boost engines need this and their owners manual not mention it?

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

???
what do you mean they redesigned the heads? where did you hear that?
There are boatload of threads about the 2.7 engine And I follow many of them so I don't recall exactly which.

But I believe all the information about the part number changes in the engine updates are part of the big 2.7 blown (currently 31) thread.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So far the only data I have is:
- Completely cold (right below full hole)
- 15 mins after being at full temp (3/4 to top hole, right near top of hatched area)
- Several hours after being at full temp (right below full hole)

And this is with 6qts
It's kind of odd if I'm reading it correctly because it sounds like you are reading are pretty consistent. Yet we've seen many others whose state that their oil level will go from the max line all the way up into the twist if they let the engine sit long enough.

This has to be one of the biggest unsolved mysteries still outstanding on this forum. (Well besides Ford's decision making process)

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's kind of odd if I'm reading it correctly because it sounds like you are reading are pretty consistent. Yet we've seen many others whose state that their oil level will go from the max line all the way up into the twist if they let the engine sit long enough.

This has to be one of the biggest unsolved mysteries still outstanding on this forum. (Well besides Ford's decision making process)
its no mystery .... @NotApplicable said he put in 6 qts .... at 7 he would be up the twisty

Sponsored

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

its no mystery .... @NotApplicable said he put in 6 qts .... at 7 he would be up the twisty
Still a mystery when the engine takes 7 quarts but the dipstick tells me I'm way over filled.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Still a mystery when the engine takes 7 quarts but the dipstick tells me I'm way over filled.
oh yeah, THAT! well, its not a mystery, its Ford at its best, cuz they keep ignoring it!

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hopefully I’ve got enough in there… the dipstick says so! Lol

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah the mystery is the whole quart versus dipstick reading.

But even with the people that are up in the twisty, I didn't think that they were in the twisty at the 10-15 minute check? And only got there after say an hour or more.

Last edited:

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so now that people are getting their broncos...and changing their oil - are we getting a full 7 quarts? what's the consensus? changing oil on my new truck shouldn't give me this much anxiety.

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
OP
OP
bytheway

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Getting ready for my 2nd change and there’s still no answer. Last time I started with 6 and added another 1/2 quart even though my dipstick showed full with 6. Added more after @flip said his engineer confirmed 7qt capacity. So basically ignore the dipstick and ignore the manual and shoot the gap in between for me.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Getting ready for my 2nd change and there’s still no answer. Last time I started with 6 and added another 1/2 quart even though my dipstick showed full with 6. Added more after @flip said his engineer confirmed 7qt capacity. So basically ignore the dipstick and ignore the manual and shoot the gap in between for me.
Astounding how Ford has STILL not addressed this

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Astounding how Ford has STILL not addressed this
Well they're too busy with all the blown engines to wory about how much oil they need to put in it.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I ended up adding another .125 qt, so right around 6.125 put me at just below the max fill hole, tho reads a tad lower (near top of hatched area) when checked 15 mins after being driven…

I really want to avoid ignoring the dipstick altogether because then we have literally no way to reason about how full it is >.<
Sponsored