Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I just ordered the Ronin drain plug... as much as I'm not looking forward to doing my oil changes cause I'm sooo lazzzyy... but I'll do what I have to I guess. And a torq plus tool kit...cause the factory kit for whatever reason is not "plus"... Would have to had search forever and find out the hard way on these couple things if it wasn't for the B6 family lol. Thanks for helping me spend more money guys. Lol
Factory kit is torx plus, but there's only 2 sizes and they aren't the right sizes for all the fasteners.

I ordered the Ronin as well, I do my own oil changes anyway. Never seen a plastic drain plug before. But then again, I've never had a plastic oil pan before!
Sponsored

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Factory kit is torx plus, but there's only 2 sizes and they aren't the right sizes for all the fasteners.

I ordered the Ronin as well, I do my own oil changes anyway. Never seen a plastic drain plug before. But then again, I've never had a plastic oil pan before!
Yeah I noticed when removing my end caps off the modular bumper that the bit in the kit left something to be desired. Loose fitting. I was extra careful. I also didn't have any torx that fit already in my tool box. So I got the plus kit cause I'll be doing a fair amount of things that I wouldn't have otherwise had a proper bit for... Kind of silly to have a kit in the bronco that doesn't work on some main bronco bolts... 😬

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch, Chevy Suburban, Kia K5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

this is what an overfilled oil level looks like in a 2.7
9179C4AD-9F66-41A1-9043-B27621BB683E.jpeg

Notice the oil is past the second hole up into the twisted part.
Out of curiosity, I checked mine this morning after letting it sit overnight and it looked exactly like this picture. I only have 500 miles on my Bronco, so this is factory fill level. Not sure if it is overfilled or just too much time allowed to drain down into the pan resulting in a higher reading?

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Out of curiosity, I checked mine this morning after letting it sit overnight and it looked exactly like this picture. I only have 500 miles on my Bronco, so this is factory fill level. Not sure if it is overfilled or just too much time allowed to drain down into the pan resulting in a higher reading?
You let it sit overnight of course pretty much everything is going to drain to the pan. I don't know why so many people are letting it sit from hrs- overnight then checking to see if it's in the range. Nowhere have I read does it say to do that. That's why instructions say 15 mins. Operational oil level warm temp is within the specs. Start your motor, get to operational temp. Sit 15-30 mins even. Then check. Bet the dipstick reads different.

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr BL SASQ, & 1975 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

my original factory pour came with oil well into the twisted part of the dipstick.

In my opinion it was overfilled when I picked it up.

I had to remove oil to get the level to the second hole….

Again, and I can not stress this enough, it is really difficult to read these dipsticks. Make sure you flip it , one side will reveal the level.

Last edited:

Sponsored

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch, Chevy Suburban, Kia K5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You let it sit overnight of course pretty much everything is going to drain to the pan. I don't know why so many people are letting it sit from hrs- overnight then checking to see if it's in the range. Nowhere have I read does it say to do that. That's why instructions say 15 mins. Operational oil level warm temp is within the specs. Start your motor, get to operational temp. Sit 15-30 mins even. Then check. Bet the dipstick reads different.
Agreed. I wasn’t intending to check it today but was doing other stuff in the garage and just thought about it since I hadn’t done it in the two weeks I’ve had the Bronco. I’ll definitely follow the 15 min drain back with hot oil when I do my 1st oil change at 1000 miles. I may also do a check using the proper procedure in the next few days as well just to compare it to what I saw this morning.

I’ll be installing a Ronin plug at my 1st oil change as well.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've only ever had one vehicle that specifically needed you to measure within a certain window after shutting off the car. And it's specifically stated within 2 minutes of shutting off the car...

If the Bronco engine has some sort of strange engineering where you have to check the fluid not earlier than 15 minutes, but not later than XX minutes... First of all that's F'd up design... Second of all, they need to clearly state that in the manual.

If it says you must wait at least 15 minutes, that means hours later is just fine.

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I used the extractor first .... got about 1.5 liters out .... so no go on the extractor.

BUT, if you have an over fill situation like I did, you can use it to get the extra oil out. In my case it was about 1/2 a quart.
That’s a good point.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've only ever had one vehicle that specifically needed you to measure within a certain window after shutting off the car. And it's specifically stated within 2 minutes of shutting off the car...

If the Bronco engine has some sort of strange engineering where you have to check the fluid not earlier than 15 minutes, but not later than XX minutes... First of all that's F'd up design... Second of all, they need to clearly state that in the manual.

If it says you must wait at least 15 minutes, that means hours later is just fine.
Ummmm not quite .... the post 15 minute window is to measure operating engine oil level ..... if you check hours later you will get a reading of an engine at rest, not an operating engine .... I know I know, its weird but that's how they designed it. However, I dont think the difference will be huge, just err on the side of caution.

But its very important not to have an engine oil overfill, on a twin turbo engine thats almost always under boost.

termin8

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ford edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just ordered the Ronin plug today from amazon,$170 plus tax, boy you guys are lucky down south. Retired last month so trying to save money on the oil changes, but this is quite a hit. For the oil, called a few dealers and they will only sell in 1 qt bottles. The only 5 qt jug I saw that met the ford specs was from Mobil at $60. Are there other oils that meet the spec at a cheaper price or is Mobil the go to oil?

Sponsored

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For the oil, called a few dealers and they will only sell in 1 qt bottles. The only 5 qt jug I saw that met the ford specs was from Mobil at $60. Are there other oils that meet the spec at a cheaper price or is Mobil the go to oil?
The oil that I use in my Dodge Dart can be had much cheaper at WalMart than as any auto parts store. The exact same oil. Mobile 1 Extended, 0W20. I think it's something like $25 for a jug of it at WalMart, compared to almost twice that, maybe even more, anywhere else for the exact same jug of the exact same oil.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just ordered the Ronin plug today from amazon,$170 plus tax, boy you guys are lucky down south. Retired last month so trying to save money on the oil changes, but this is quite a hit. For the oil, called a few dealers and they will only sell in 1 qt bottles. The only 5 qt jug I saw that met the ford specs was from Mobil at $60. Are there other oils that meet the spec at a cheaper price or is Mobil the go to oil?
Walmart is your friend when it comes to oil. Usually can't find it cheaper. Most five qt jugs are $20-$30. Finding one that meets the specs will take a little bit of research but I think there's threads on this form about it already. I want to say there's a Castrol one that does but don't quote me.

As far as replacing the drain valve, I don't totally understand why people are so eager to do this. Is the factory plug so bad that people are spending $200 to replace it? I just never had any issues with factory oil plugs. I think I'm owing ever had to replace one once in my life because when torque down it was still dripping.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Walmart is your friend when it comes to oil. Usually can't find it cheaper. Most five qt jugs are $20-$30. Finding one that meets the specs will take a little bit of research but I think there's threads on this form about it already. I want to say there's a Castrol one that does but don't quote me.

As far as replacing the drain valve, I don't totally understand why people are so eager to do this. Is the factory plug so bad that people are spending $200 to replace it? I just never had any issues with factory oil plugs. I think I'm owing ever had to replace one once in my life because when torque down it was still dripping.
Short answer, yes the drain plug is a pain...it's a composite oil pan, with a plastic/composite plug, takes a full turn to unlock and then have to pull it out. When you pull it out, it's not very controlled and the hole size allows all 6/7 quarts to gush out in 2 seconds flat, estimated...I overfilled my drain pan because the pan couldn't drain down fast enough to keep up...made a mess.
So having a convenient way to control the flow is nice. I will probably have one ready for my next oil change.

Blueoval

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer & 2010 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Question on the Ronin Plug, does it lock into place when seated or does the wave spring hold it in place? I sent a message to the guys at Ronin and got no response.
It locks with the spring wave. The spring wave makes it more solid in my opinion than the factory plug which just quarter turns and has no tension.

D13B87D1-D93E-4A0F-AF09-0465BD00017A.jpeg

OP
OP
bytheway

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You don’t torque down this plug. It’s twist in plastic with an o-ring. It’s not a lifetime part, so if Ford expects you to replace it anyway you might as well get one that makes it more convenient to change you oil and not spill everywhere.
You should be good as long as you use an oil rated API SP.
Sponsored