Sponsored

2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

IMO both are great engines, reliable, and capable. I wonder if people referencing 4-bangers have driven anything modern.

Resell will be fine, bigger impact will be packages. Vehicles are not and should not be looked at as an investment unless you are a collector. If you really want resell get a TRD or something established. F150 does good too so I assume this follows suit unless the release is botched.

For 2K I can go either way. Probably stick with 2.3 and get a tune if I feel it is really needed (doubt). I think a lot of people get hung up with numbers and not reality of those numbers. 90% of the people I know with muscle cars are red light bandits and with lifts rock crawl at the mall or light trail.

If you love the look and/or power and have the cash do it! Again, it's all practicality and how you use it. There really isn't a wrong, it's more of a preference. The Base models are capable out of the gate and I think overall Ford nailed the builds (excluding limiting packages/interior in models).
Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My F 150 crew has the 5.0 . I wish my Bronco would as well. Why does that matter you ask? Because a few weeks ago I ordered ā€œsevenā€ Motorcraft FL 500 oil filters from Walmart. Instead, they sent me ā€œseven cases ā€œ( 12 filters per case) of the oil filters and charged me for only seven filters. I contacted them to correct the error and they said ā€œ donā€™t worry about itā€. The way I figure it, I can change the oil twice a year in my F 150 and I wont need to purchase an oil filter for the next 48 years. BTW, Iā€™m getting the 2.7. ( see how I eventually tied my post into the topic).

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My F 150 crew has the 5.0 . I wish my Bronco would as well. Why does that matter you ask? Because a few weeks ago I ordered ā€œsevenā€ Motorcraft FL 500 oil filters from Walmart. Instead, they sent me ā€œseven cases ā€œ( 12 filters per case) of the oil filters and charged me for only seven filters. I contacted them to correct the error and they said ā€œ donā€™t worry about itā€. The way I figure it, I can change the oil twice a year in my F 150 and I wont need to purchase an oil filter for the next 48 years. BTW, Iā€™m getting the 2.7. ( see how I eventually tied my post into the topic).
I think thatā€™s only enough for 42 years unless you skip a few oil changes.

BenB007

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Last time I was in the market for a car, I originally had my heart set on a Tacoma Limited. Everyone said the v6 was great so I ordered one and took it for an overnight. It felt completely underpowered to the point where I felt like I was overworking the engine on the highway. Ended up walking and getting a great deal on a Tundra Platinum which Iā€™m still driving. I drive fast and aggressive and the highways between me and the places I go move pretty fast. I didnā€™t feel like the engine on the Tacoma could comfortably ride over 80mph. Since then, Iā€™ve been skeptical of smaller engines and Iā€™m even skeptical of the 2.7.

After trying the Defender P400 (3.0 v6), I can definitely see that the smaller engines have come a long way. That thing moved better than my V8 Tundra. But still, no way I would consider the 2.3 or any four cylinder for anything the size of a Bronco. Iā€™d lack any confidence pulling out into traffic, passing cars on a two lane or just cruising for 2 hours at 80 to 90mph. Iā€™d be afraid Iā€™d either get into an accident or blow it up.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Last time I was in the market for a car, I originally had my heart set on a Tacoma Limited. Everyone said the v6 was great so I ordered one and took it for an overnight. It felt completely underpowered to the point where I felt like I was overworking the engine on the highway. Ended up walking and getting a great deal on a Tundra Platinum which Iā€™m still driving. I drive fast and aggressive and the highways between me and the places I go move pretty fast. I didnā€™t feel like the engine on the Tacoma could comfortably ride over 80mph. Since then, Iā€™ve been skeptical of smaller engines and Iā€™m even skeptical of the 2.7.

After trying the Defender P400 (3.0 v6), I can definitely see that the smaller engines have come a long way. That thing moved better than my V8 Tundra. But still, no way I would consider the 2.3 or any four cylinder for anything the size of a Bronco. Iā€™d lack any confidence pulling out into traffic, passing cars on a two lane or just cruising for 2 hours at 80 to 90mph. Iā€™d be afraid Iā€™d either get into an accident or blow it up.
-26 HP, +15 Torque, +500lb for a non SAS over the LR 2.0 v4 and that 2.0 is fantastic. Different tranny in auto (9v10sp). I've been running that 2.0 for over 3y and love it, assume the 2.3 is a little slower in the Bronco but not by much.

2.7 is great, cost 2k more, not in manual, and may cause a delay to 22. IMO both are a win, it's really in what you want and when but would have zero performance concerns with 2.3...

BenB007

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
-26 HP, +15 Torque, +500lb for a non SAS over the LR 2.0 v4 and that 2.0 is fantastic. Different tranny in auto (9v10sp). I've been running that 2.0 for over 3y and love it, assume the 2.3 is a little slower in the Bronco but not by much.

2.7 is great, cost 2k more, not in manual, and may cause a delay to 22. IMO both are a win, it's really in what you want and when but would have zero performance concerns with 2.3...
But I think that LR 2.0 v4 is assisted by the mild hybrid which Bronco doesnā€™t have. Iā€™d be curious as to how much the electric turbocharging actually contributes to the performance specs vs the stop/start feature.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

But I think that LR 2.0 v4 is assisted by the mild hybrid which Bronco doesnā€™t have. Iā€™d be curious as to how much the electric turbocharging actually contributes to the performance specs vs the stop/start feature.
Please tell me the "V" that you guys are using in "v4" means version...

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I, V, everyone gets it. People that get stuck on vernacular when the the concept is clear make me lol

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Youngin's, gotta love 'em. ;) The "V" came into the auto world way back when Chevy came out with the 8 cylinder engine. The block was shaped in a "V" with 4 pistons on each side of the block. The term "inline", i.e. "inline 6" means the pistons form a straight line in the engine head. So, when using the vernacular of yesteryear I think the 2.3L should be called an "inline 4."

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I daily drive the 2.3 in my ranger on 32s.

It's quick but not fast. It shifts really strange (I know that's the transmission but that's what you're getting with the 2.3 in the bronco as well.) It's actually going in to be looked at it's so odd. I have almost 6k miles on it and I don't love it. I've had too many people on the Ranger5g forum have issues with gas in the oil to make me comfortable, but that's a side issue. It sounds super weird, nothing like a truck engine, and the word is maintenance might be an issue due to the absence of certain features to keep carbon from building up.

I would not ever buy another 2.3. for 1900 dollars the resale will be higher and it only comes with benefits. I don't see a single downside unless there is some glaring flaw in that engine I am unaware of.
Just curious, do you have the gearing and speedo matched to the 32s or is it the factory FX4. We have one in our household and it has been very good. The transmission is the same regardless of engine, but it is obviously tuned differently for each motor. I also daily drive a 2.7 in my F150 and prefer it, but in actual performance, the two are much closer than I expected. The Bronco and F150 are both heavier than the Ranger, so itā€™s a bit of apples and oranges, but the Bronco has slightly numerically higher gearing that should equate to similar acceleration to the Ranger. I ordered 2.7, but would have no issue with the 2.3.

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Youngin's, gotta love 'em. ;) The "V" came into the auto world way back when Chevy came out with the 8 cylinder engine. The block was shaped in a "V" with 4 pistons on each side of the block. The term "inline", i.e. "inline 6" means the pistons form a straight line in the engine head. So, when using the vernacular of yesteryear I think the 2.3L should be called an "inline 4."
Yamaha V-Max and possibly Moto Guzzi with v4s. Yamaha for certain.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yamaha V-Max and possibly Moto Guzzi with v4s. Yamaha for certain.
Ford also had the Essex V4 in their older European cars, like the Capri. Honda also has (or had?) a family of V4's for the VF and VFRs. And one cannot possibly forget the engineering marvels that the Ducati V4s are in the Panigale and Streetfighter. Then there's the Aprilia RSV4. As well as the oddball LS-based transverse-mounted V4 from Motus.

I can't tell if it's ignorance or laziness that prompted this.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had the 3.5l in my 2017 F150. It was pretty nice. Decent mileage and went good. I had a modded 2019 2.3l mustang. Intercooler, downpipe, Bov, exhaust, plugs, filter and custom tune that took a while to dial in... It was quick... 330rwhp, 395 rwtq. 10 speed. Was still decent on gas. Now I have a 2.3 Ranger..10 speed. Stock it was impressive. Got about 25 mpg.. pretty quick. Then I got the 2.5" level and 33's. Now it feels doggish and gets about 19mpg. Putting in sport feels a bit better. But the tires did have a big effect on the get up and go... And mpg. Thus knowing this I went for the 2.7. I think it'll get around the same mileage as a modded ranger. But feel better with the gearing and the big jump in TQ. I'd expect both motors to get around the same mileage when 33's+ figure into the power ratio. But the 2.7 to feel better while doing it.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7 ... end of thread šŸ˜‰