Sponsored

2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
please ask him what issues he has seen with the plastic oil pan.

Just as a data point, an old high school buddy posted a 3.5 ecoboost all torn apart in his Snapchat story. Reached out, turns out he’s a tech at a local Ford dealership. Asked him about the 2.7, he said that they’re very solid engines, he has seen no consistent problems EXCEPT the plastic oil pan. Definitely not a deal breaker to me.

Figured this was the most up to date thread on 2.7 so I’d share it here.
Sponsored

mattrb87

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I need some guidance folks. My old mind keeps telling me the 2.3L engine is too small for a 4 door OBX w/10 spd auto. I'm old school (and just old also), and the thought that there's no replacement for displacement is ingrained in my way of thinking. If you can help me out here I would certainly be thankful. Do I need the 2.7L, or will the smaller 2.3L be fine?
Do you have the extra $1,800 for the 2.7L? If so, then go bigger. Are you old and wanting some excitement? If so, go bigger.

If neither of those add much appeal or apply to you, then go with the 2.3L.

$1,800 isn’t much to upgrade from a 4 cylinder to a 6 cylinder.

KEM IA

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm sure this has been said but 2.3 with a manual for fun. If only automatic go for the 2.7.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
please ask him what issues he has seen with the plastic oil pan.
Leaks, which have been reported before on this forum and elsewhere.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do you have the extra $1,800 for the 2.7L? If so, then go bigger. Are you old and wanting some excitement? If so, go bigger.

If neither of those add much appeal or apply to you, then go with the 2.3L.

$1,800 isn’t much to upgrade from a 4 cylinder to a 6 cylinder.
Well shit, I've got the 1800 bucks, and I'm old. Soooooo........;)

Actually, I've decided to go with the 2.7L. I don't want to be driving down the road thinking "I wish". (y)

Sponsored

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have driven the 2.3 in the Ranger, Explorer and Mustang. Has more than enough get up and go to get out of its own way.
Do you think 4 Door Sasq Pkg with 2.3L would be enough? I owned a 2.3L Mustang previously, it is good for what it is, but Bronco is a different game with the Sas Pkg offered.

FifthCard

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well shit, I've got the 1800 bucks, and I'm old. Soooooo........;)

Actually, I've decided to go with the 2.7L. I don't want to be driving down the road thinking "I wish". (y)
I am with you.. I have a habit of not getting something and then later saying I wish.. or should have.

FifthCard

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you think 4 Door Sasq Pkg with 2.3L would be enough? I owned a 2.3L Mustang previously, it is good for what it is, but Bronco is a different game with the Sas Pkg offered.
as an off road vehicle you will notice if you start doing any off roading. Climbing a rock is all about torque. I have seen people saying only noticeable when going up a steep incline. I know in my jeep when I am crawling I am always going up a steep incline. Then if you throw on bigger tires ect... that just bogs down the engine even more. I have not yet seen a video with the 2.3L doing any rock crawling and the turbo is not much help at 1mph crawling speeds.

check out this article. Explains it pretty well
https://www.seaviewauto.net/blogs/1495/jeep/torque-essential-off-roading/

Last edited:

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
as an off road vehicle you will notice if you start doing any off roading. Climbing a rock is all about torque. I have seen people saying only noticeable when going up a steep incline. I know in my jeep when I am crawling I am always going up a steep incline. Then if you throw on bigger tires ect... that just bogs down the engine even more. I have not yet seen a video with the 2.3L doing any rock crawling and the turbo is not much help at 1mph crawling speeds.
The 2.3L has more than enough power for Sasquatch. But don’t ask me... Ask professional off-road driver Shelby Hall:

2.3 Sasquatch Ride Along Video

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For street driving yes, I think it will be fine. Off road I don't know but I am a total novice off road.

FifthCard

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.3L has more than enough power for Sasquatch. But don’t ask me... Ask professional off-road driver Shelby Hall:

2.3 Sasquatch Ride Along Video
again she never rock crawled with that 2.3L. That little rock patch they drove over is a normal gravel road to me. I would like to see someone scrape the bumper going up and over some rock ledges crawling up and then tell me you don't notice a difference.

I am sure it is capable but people who rock crawl on the regular are not putting hemi in the jeep because they want bad MPG's.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am with you.. I have a habit of not getting something and then later saying I wish.. or should have.
Oh yeah babe, I've done that a couple of times. I certainly don't want to do it with the Bronco. "No regerts"......:)

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For street driving yes, I think it will be fine. Off road I don't know but I am a total novice off road.
Yes, I will be driving on Road about 99%, I don't think I will ever do Rock Climbing.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
again she never rock crawled with that 2.3L. That little rock patch they drove over is a normal gravel road to me. I would like to see someone scrape the bumper going up and over some rock ledges crawling up and then tell me you don't notice a difference.

I am sure it is capable but people who rock crawl on the regular are not putting hemi in the jeep because they want bad MPG's.
With a manual transmission crawl gear, the 2.3 would be capable of climbing a vertical wall with a 90:1 gear reduction ratio. That gearing makes the 2.3 liter's 310 ft/lbs of torque at the crank multiply to nearly 30,000 ft/lbs of torque at the wheel (enough to overcome gravity with sufficient traction).
Sponsored