Sponsored

2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I went with the 2.7 I take delivery this week but had I known what I know now I would have went 2.3 now I got to pray my 2.7 isent a peice of shit . I went 2.7 cause everyone said it was reliable and same engine in the f150 and come to find out it’s not the same 2.7 as in the f150 it’s a little diffrent lol so first year problems
Well, I just cleared 2500 miles on my 2.7, which has been reliable so far, however I am not going to consider it reliable until 3k (as all of the known failures have happened under 3k miles).
Sponsored

balucipher

Big Bend
First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I did 1500 miles in my 2.3 manual this weekend. I was initially a little disappointed with the power because I was shifting too early and the dealer filled it with regular fuel. Switched to premium and noticed a huge performance jump and stopped shifting it like the 6spd Cummins dually I last dailied with a manual and I think it's a great engine with plenty of power.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

2.3 is fine….. I’ve driven both a lot and would honestly take either motor with no reservations.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Go drive both. It's a matter of preference.

For me, the 2.3 is not enough power for a vehicle in this price bracket. It has good throttle response but runs out of breath under acceleration. May be a good option for 2 door or lower trim levels, but for me, I would be disappointed with the purchase. The 2.7 has room for improvement but is adequate.

Again, personal preference. You should really go out and drive both.

Broncodude@

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can only tell you my opinion… i just picked up my 2.7 yesterday. Very pleasantly surprised. That being said, I test drove the 2.3 and thought to myself… this is much more than enough and thought about switching down to the 2.3. Prior to receiving my Bronco. My point… I believe you would be happy with both or either. ;)

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'd like to try a 2.3 with the automatic. With a wife that doesn't want to learn to drive a manual, I'd have to drive one before I decided to downsize from the 2.7. If a manual were an option for me, I would switch in a heartbeat. That is one of the best shifting modern manuals I've driven.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I were getting the auto there is no question I’d go 2.7 because there is no reason not to, extra power is always better. I went with the 2.3 because I’d rather have the manual than the extra power. 2.3 with the automatic wouldn’t even be a consideration for me.

I briefly considered doing a base with the 2.7 automatic after my knee started having problems, but I still went manual and will see how it goes. I do think the base 2.7 auto would be the fastest Bronco available on the stock tires.

Heart2

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I chose the 2.3L. I have that engine with a 10 speed auto in my '19 Ranger. Plenty of power for my needs as a daily driver. But, I might think differently if I towed something. My lifetime MPG (18500 miles/18 months) is 22.3. When I don't warm it up or cool it down, I've averaged as much as 24.2. I'm expecting similar results with my Bronco. It is a little lighter then the Ranger (<200lbs), but less aerodynamic.

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It’s not a sports car. I have a 3.8L JKUR w/ 202 hp and 240 ft-lbs torque. I tow 4500 lbs, and have hauled all manner of stuff to all manner of places.

So at 275 to 315 hp and 315 to 410 lb-ft (both developed at lower rpm’s) the 2.3 and the 2.7 are capable.

The thing I keep asking myself is:
1) The 2.7 seems to be having problems/constrained
2) The 2.7 has an extra brace hanging down in the breakover clearance area
3) The 2.7 is in the way of that Rough Country hidden winch
4) 7MT …

5) The 2.3 May need an oil catch can to avoid carbon buildup.
6) We’ve seen one with a 7MT that had some mysterious problem.

I have a 2.7 two door on order. I waiver every day … of course if 7MT on a 2.7 were available, that would be my choice. 🤣

Last edited:

Sponsored

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks Dave, that would help. I think I'm really trying to convince myself the 2.3L will do the trick in the Bronco. That's what's giving me "night sweats". :)
I know there are ppl who insist the 2.7 is the way to go, but I went for the 2.3.
My badlands got delivered in Oct and I have about 1500 miles on it. I can tell you that the 2.3 is no slouch and has more than enough power and torque to accommodate any on road or off road situation. Is the 2.7 faster? Probably, but come on, it’s a Bronco not a Mustang and racing is not why you buy a Bronco. I’ve had the Bronco in mud up to the floor boards and it never lacked for power. I’ve climbed some hills that made my butt pucker and it never stuttered or even breathed hard. The only thing I wish were different is the exhaust note; it sounds like a 4 cylinder.
Lastly, I had a friend activate the sport mode using forscan and that introduced a whole new level of acceleration in case you feel like challenging a rice burner or something. It certainly adds more fun when cruising around town.
Bottom line is that I have absolutely no regrets with the 2.3, especially in light of all those on this forum and elsewhere who have had serious failures with the 2.7.
Hope that helps with your decision point and gets you over your night sweats. 😁

EXO Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Audi S4, Raptor (Previously)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Easy choice. :LOL:

Buy a 2.3L and then spend years convincing yourself and others that ask that it's "surprisingly powerful" and has "plenty of power"....

Or

Buy a 2.7L and have the highest power option possible... avoiding the need to constantly tell people about why you made the decision to get the small engine.

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As all have said, it's not a race car. For me, this comes down to trans choice....it was MT or no Bronco. Period. If a 6.0 V8 was available but only with an auto, I'm out. For those who want an auto, 2.7L all the way.

NOTE: I am concerned about the sound of the 2.3l, however. I suspect something can be done with exhaust but the fact that it will sound ball-less is concerning to me. The 2.7L isn't much better though...so there's that.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

“There’s no substitute for cubic inches,” (or liters). 😎

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It’s so funny to see people on here did ding the 2.3. It gives up less than half a liter in displacement to the 2.7. Has less thank 15-40hp difference depending on fuel and less then 100lbft of torque. By any standard the 2.3 is better than every bronco engine before it and with a ford performance tune almost equals the 2.7 and it’s almost 1800 bucks cheaper. I went for the 2.7 Bc money wasn’t an issue when I bought and I selfishly wanted it all. But honestly as I said before 2.3 is great and I should have gotten it.
Sponsored