Sponsored

2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I need some guidance folks. My old mind keeps telling me the 2.3L engine is too small for a 4 door OBX w/10 spd auto. I'm old school (and just old also), and the thought that there's no replacement for displacement is ingrained in my way of thinking. If you can help me out here I would certainly be thankful. Do I need the 2.7L, or will the smaller 2.3L be fine?
Sponsored

saban

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I need some guidance folks. My old mind keeps telling me the 2.3L engine is too small for a 4 door OBX w/10 spd auto. I'm old school (and just old also), and the thought that there's no replacement for displacement is ingrained in my way of thinking. If you can help me out here I would certainly be thankful. Do I need the 2.7L, or will the smaller 2.3L be fine?
the 2.3L 4 cyl has more power than the 351 V8 that came in the Bronco 25 years ago

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you want a roof rack or paint protection film? ;)

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Best thing you can do is go test drive a crew cab ranger. That is what is giving me piece of mind with the 2.3

I have driven the 2.3 in the Ranger, Explorer and Mustang. Has more than enough get up and go to get out of its own way.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Toyota 2.2/2.4/3.0 - all considered to be capable
Ford Bronco 2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision. Capture4.PNG

Ford Bronco 2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision. 2_3Capture.PNG

Ford Bronco 2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision. 2_7Capture.PNG

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A 4x4 F-150 with the 2.7 should give a good impression of that engine at approximately the same weight as a Bronco.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Best thing you can do is go test drive a crew cab ranger. That is what is giving me piece of mind with the 2.3

I have driven the 2.3 in the Ranger, Explorer and Mustang. Has more than enough get up and go to get out of its own way.
I have a 2.3L Ranger, and you're right. That little thing will scoot, and still return some good mpg's. But, the Ranger does have better aero dynamics. I don't know if that would make much difference with today's engines though.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Toyota 2.2/2.4/3.0 - all considered to be capable
Capture4.PNG

2_3Capture.PNG

2_7Capture.PNG
I wouldnt call a toyota capable:ROFLMAO:

Sorry but a bronco II with a 2.3 or 2.8/9 thats something capable! Or move the oil filter and drop a 5.0 in it!

As for the OP. The 2.3 can be built to the hilt and is sturdy enough to tow 7500lb(ranger). However you are getting OBX so im guessing no manual. Then I would go for the V6 for the price its worth the torque.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A 4x4 F-150 with the 2.7 should give a good impression of that engine at approximately the same weight as a Bronco.
Thanks Dave, that would help. I think I'm really trying to convince myself the 2.3L will do the trick in the Bronco. That's what's giving me "night sweats". :)

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a 2.3L Ranger, and you're right. That little thing will scoot, and still return some good mpg's. But, the Ranger does have better aero dynamics. I don't know if that would make much difference with today's engines though.
I don't think it would make much difference. These aren't race cars lol.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't think it would make much difference. These aren't race cars lol.
Kinda what I was just telling the bride. I don't have anywhere to go in a hurry anymore. Now, when I was a kid it was wide open every day. :)

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wouldnt call a toyota capable:ROFLMAO:

Sorry but a bronco II with a 2.3 or 2.8/9 thats something capable! Or move the oil filter and drop a 5.0 in it!
Thanks Dave, that would help. I think I'm really trying to convince myself the 2.3L will do the trick in the Bronco. That's what's giving me "night sweats". :)
Hey Jim.

I'm the same way. I'm going 2.7 myself. However, not for power numbers but rather the shape of the curve. The 2.3 provides the same power, actually a touch more, than my Vic. But the 2.7 seems flatter and fatter. The scale is off in those graphs but 150 hp comes on around 500 rpm sooner. I don't think I've even seen 150 in the Vic yet and it is still "enough".

Garye

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m old too and when they ask me what engine Is in my Bronco I’m gonna say proudly, it’s got a 4 banger and it goes like hell. I get a kick out of the youngsters who have got to have the 2.7 6cyl. They will be the ones who get a fast start at the stop light next to me and I will coast up to them at the next light. I drove one of those 22R 4 cyl Toyota’s for years and it went anywhere I wanted to go.

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't forget that Ford Performance has a warrantied tune package for the 2.3/Auto in the Ranger that should eventually port over to the Bronco without much fanfare. :cool:
Sponsored