Sponsored

2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m old too and when they ask me what engine Is in my Bronco I’m gonna say proudly, it’s got a 4 banger and it goes like hell. I get a kick out of the youngsters who have got to have the 2.7 6cyl. They will be the ones who get a fast start at the stop light next to me and I will coast up to them at the next light. I drove one of those 22R 4 cyl Toyota’s for years and it went anywhere I wanted to go.
Good point Gary. I had a '92 Yota pick-up with the 22RE. It always got me there in plenty of time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Don't forget that Ford Performance has a warrantied tune package for the 2.3/Auto in the Ranger that should eventually port over to the Bronco without much fanfare. :cool:
Um, there is that Dave. Power at a much cheaper price. Good thought to run through my big old dumb head.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m old too and when they ask me what engine Is in my Bronco I’m gonna say proudly, it’s got a 4 banger and it goes like hell. I get a kick out of the youngsters who have got to have the 2.7 6cyl. They will be the ones who get a fast start at the stop light next to me and I will coast up to them at the next light. I drove one of those 22R 4 cyl Toyota’s for years and it went anywhere I wanted to go.
That HiLux with 22R was so reliable. I beat the tar out of it. Plowed LOTS of driveways with it too. It was so good.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm going to save some gas and $2K and go for the 2.3L. If I end up wanting more power (and that's an "IF"), that will be cheap and easy aftermarket. A Ford performance tune kit for the Ranger is a bit over $600 now and brings the HP/Torque up to 315/370 just by running premium gas - and with a factory warranty. The extra cost/complexity/weight of the 2.7L just don't seem justified to me. But then again, to each their own. If budget isn't an issue and you think you want the 2.7, just get the 2.7.

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My dealer is also a friend of mine. He said the 2.3 is plenty capable. The 2.7 will be just plain NASTY though. He also said that the 2.7 is tried and true. Least number of warranty issues of all the engines Ford produces right now.
2.7 - more power -Ok, no biggie
2.7 - flatter power curve - Ok, no biggie
2.7 - most reliable with least warranty issues -SOLD!
I do not want to take the chance of my Bronco being in the shop at all if I can help it.

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the 2.3L 4 cyl has more power than the 351 V8 that came in the Bronco 25 years ago
Sure did, about the same torque as well, problem is the 1995 351 made its full/peak torque right off idle and up to about 2500 RPM. The 2.3 EB is weak below 2500 RPM and needs 3250 RPM to get to peak torque. Gears can make up the difference (at the expense of revving the engine higher), but an off road truck would be better served by having maximum torque down low as a general rule (in my opinion). The 351 low end torque would arguably be more useful in a truck than the same torque pushed up the RPM range (thus giving more horsepower)

The 2.7 will match the torque (and later exceed it) about 500 RPM sooner. If you are going to get an automatic, the 2.7 would probably feel better leaving the stoplight without having to spin the motor up halfway to red-line (assuming they don't open up the throttle a lot more at low pedal inputs for the I4)

If the added cost isn't a big deal for the OP, I would suggest the 2.7 just for the extra torque and power-band characteristics. A 5000 pound vehicle needs low and mid-range torque more than high end horsepower. If he wants a manual, the point is moot.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A 4x4 F-150 with the 2.7 should give a good impression of that engine at approximately the same weight as a Bronco.
I have a 2019 F150 with the 2.7, and had the same power concerns.

Absolutely no concerns after 1 year with the truck, even under towing and load. And this is with a stock tune. There’s lots of cheap hp and torque to release from both this engine and the 2.3 with a simple stage 1 tune.

Don’t forget the 2.3 is the base for a few quick cars like versions of the Mustang and the Focus RS

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sure did, about the same torque as well, problem is the 1995 351 made its full/peak torque right off idle and up to about 2500 RPM. The 2.3 EB is weak below 2500 RPM and needs 3250 RPM to get to peak torque. Gears can make up the difference (at the expense of revving the engine higher), but an off road truck would be better served by having maximum torque down low as a general rule (in my opinion). The 351 low end torque would arguably be more useful in a truck than the same torque pushed up the RPM range (thus giving more horsepower)

The 2.7 will match the torque (and later exceed it) about 500 RPM sooner. If you are going to get an automatic, the 2.7 would probably feel better leaving the stoplight without having to spin the motor up halfway to red-line (assuming they don't open up the throttle a lot more at low pedal inputs for the I4)

If the added cost isn't a big deal for the OP, I would suggest the 2.7 just for the extra torque and power-band characteristics. A 5000 pound vehicle needs low and mid-range torque more than high end horsepower. If he wants a manual, the point is moot.
Good points also Jake. It's really not about the budget. For once in my car buying experience I think I'm just trying to be practical. I don't know if that's gonna work or not, but I'm gonna give it that old college try.

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That HiLux with 22R was so reliable. I beat the tar out of it. Plowed LOTS of driveways with it too. It was so good.
One of the "Unkillables"...buddy had one that was at 350K and still going strong when he gave it to his kid, and HE has yet to kill it...

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the Ecoboost 2.3L 2019 Ranger, and I love it. It has plenty of power, but I am building a Bronco, and I don’t want to regret not getting the 2.7L. That doesn’t help, but a little more power won’t hurt.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

One of the "Unkillables"...buddy had one that was at 350K and still going strong when he gave it to his kid, and HE has yet to kill it...
True. The body on the other hand...

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I need some guidance folks. My old mind keeps telling me the 2.3L engine is too small for a 4 door OBX w/10 spd auto. I'm old school (and just old also), and the thought that there's no replacement for displacement is ingrained in my way of thinking. If you can help me out here I would certainly be thankful. Do I need the 2.7L, or will the smaller 2.3L be fine?
Easy solution. Do you want manual or automatic? If you want auto, get the 2.7. impossible to regret. If you are worried about power, take a look at this
Ford Bronco 2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision. 20210116_094519

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands