Sponsored

2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ontario, speeding and impounded car - does that rule apply to the highways, or only country roads? I’ve done my share of driving on 401 (all the way from Windsor to Montreal), the Gardner, the QEW, and 402 (up to Muskoka), and 407 (that privately run über-toll road on the north side of Toronto).

It has always seemed to me that it is legally impossible to be pulled over for speeding on Ontario’s version of the interstate system. Y’all are insane when there’s no stop lights.

Strange thing, though - get off the interstate equivalent and into the city streets of Toronto and people drive nice and easy. They’re worse in Windsor! T.O. goes from Mad Max to Elmer Fudd behind the wheel.

Not Montreal, though. Their motto seems to be, Fuck You Yankee.
its any where in ontario. any road. high population areas people don't know how to drive.
Sponsored

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry folks but I'm not reading 5 pages here.

With that said, go with the V6. 4 bangers are meant for the Prius.

And for those who want to compare a turbo 4 banger to a V8 from 25 years ago, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say my old 351's would probably drag your 4 bangers around the back yard. I'd still take a 351 with a 4 speed auto over this turbo shit any day.
I never had the 2.3 or the 2.7 but I know the 3.5 ecoboost in my 2015 F-150 will run circles around the 351W in my 74' Bronco, even with the headers, 4 barrel, 4.11's and RV cam.
But that 3.5 doesn't sound near as good!;)

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I never had the 2.3 or the 2.7 but I know the 3.5 ecoboost in my 2015 F-150 will run circles around the 351W in my 74' Bronco, even with the headers, 4 barrel, 4.11's and RV cam.
But that 3.5 doesn't sound near as good!;)
Run circles.... Yes.... hooked bumper to bumper?? I'm not sure. Once again, we are comparing a 30 year old motor to a current motor, a lot has happened in those 30 years. With technology today, that 351 wouldn't be pushing 210 hp. And I'd gladly take the 12 MPG (adjust it for inflation ;) and we're looking at 16-18 MPG) any day just to have it! ?

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here is what I would say, and its advice I have always got. "You will never say, man I wish I had LESS horesepower." You will always be searching for more. And for $2,000 it will leave you with no regrets.
In 2017, I got a manual transmission 2016 V6 Mustang Convertible which I bought with 6,500 miles on it for $23K. It was the same price as a brand new Mustang fastback and thousands less than a V8. I got the convertible, a manual trans, and a racing stripe (which makes it look like a V8), a LSD (which makes it more fun to drive), but with a smaller engine at my price point. I paid off the car a few months ago. I bought the car that I could afford and I have no regrets. I did not need to search for more. People love to talk to me about my car, and no one notices it does not have have the big engine.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I need some guidance folks. My old mind keeps telling me the 2.3L engine is too small for a 4 door OBX w/10 spd auto. I'm old school (and just old also), and the thought that there's no replacement for displacement is ingrained in my way of thinking. If you can help me out here I would certainly be thankful. Do I need the 2.7L, or will the smaller 2.3L be fine?
The Rubicon Unlimited can come with a 2.0T and if you get past the folks that feel more cylinders is always better, you'll find that the 2.0T is actually a better engine choice than their 3.6 non-turb'd

My point being, if you are not sure, go test drive a 4 door Rubi with the 4 banger. And remember Ford is 0.3 L bigger and almost always gets better engine performance than competitors.

Now with all that said, I refuse to get the 2.3 simply because of the design/engineering vs the 2.7 in my Sasquatched 4-door. But that is an entirely different thread ( It really is a different thread).

Sponsored

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry folks but I'm not reading 5 pages here.

With that said, go with the V6. 4 bangers are meant for the Prius.

And for those who want to compare a turbo 4 banger to a V8 from 25 years ago, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say my old 351's would probably drag your 4 bangers around the back yard. I'd still take a 351 with a 4 speed auto over this turbo shit any day.
The 6G Mustang 4 cylinder had more HP and more torque than the naturally aspirated V6. They eventually discontinued the V6 (though I love that engine).

Crippy37

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Expedition FX4 (the original 4 door bronco)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Tough decision no doubt. Here's my 2 cents:

From a reliability perspective, assuming you stick with the 10 speed, I view both as equal. The 2.3L-10 speed combo is in a ton of Ford products (Explorer, Mustang, Ranger) as is the 2.7L-10 speed combo (F-150). The 7 speed Getrag transmission is new, so i would be a little more concerned about reliability getting that brand new transmission w/ the 2.3L.

I have driven the 2.3L-10 speed combo in the Ranger and felt it had plenty of power. Ranger will likely be a little lighter and more aerodynamic than the Bronco but I don't see the 2.3L feeling significantly less powerful in the Bronco. As many have mentioned, the 2.7L in the F-150 is really solid all-around. I have driven the Edge ST with the 2.7L (did not have the 10 speed) and felt the engine had a more refined feeling to it than the 2.3L in the Ranger. If you are a lead foot driver and do a lot of high speed highway driving I'd lean more towards the 2.7L over the 2.3L.

Being that you are getting an OBX and are locked into the 10 speed, if you have the money, go for the 2.7L. The OBX is a more well optioned trim level and will likely be heavier and that 2.7L will provide more power for you. You don't want to get a custom ordered Bronco and immediately regret your engine choice.

I'm getting the 2.3L w/ the 7 speed because I prefer the manual experience and cannot afford the 10 speed with my config. Also I don't care too much about reliability as opposed to others hahaha

Hope this helps!
The only thing I would add to this is: the 2.7 is port and direct injected the 2.3 is direct injection only. For me that is important and why I’m going with the 2.7

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I need some guidance folks. My old mind keeps telling me the 2.3L engine is too small for a 4 door OBX w/10 spd auto. I'm old school (and just old also), and the thought that there's no replacement for displacement is ingrained in my way of thinking. If you can help me out here I would certainly be thankful. Do I need the 2.7L, or will the smaller 2.3L be fine?
There are a lot of different viewpoints on this topic, so here’s mine: The 2.3 puts out more than enough hp and torque for all but the most extreme off roading. The 2.7 is $1895 more and only offers 40 added hp at that cost. An aftermarket tune can push the 2.3 easily over 300 hp, even more if you want to do physical mods to the engine. So, while there’s no replacement for displacement might have been valid years ago, nowadays with computer controlled engines, a tune can be opportune to send you to the moon. ?

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Like the OP I have the same question 2.3 vs 2.7 and read all posts here and in other threads:
Below is a simple list of reasons for one over the other if I summarized what I read correctly - I am not a tech when it comes to motors, in my youth I swapped V8 motors out and have done clutch jobs etc...when things were simpler. Never been involved with tunes or turbos.

The 2.7 for the money seems like a no brainer if you have the money. That being said, the 2.3 may be the better choice if the 2.7 capabilities are never to be really utilized.

I think the OP is looking at this issue with the following mindset for the sake of this exercise.
Money is not an issue and not concerned about 2.7 increased HP for general motoring.
OP is more interested in if the 2.3 is the better choice than than the 2.7 when performance vs $$ is doped out.

2.3 & 2.7 Pro & Con list as I read it

2.7 Pro / Con list
Pro 2.7 more stock HP & torque is better
Pro No direct injection issues
Pro 2.7 tried & true in the F150
Pro 2.7 block is made out of better alloy
Pro 2.7 "thought" to more likely to have better longevity - no proof
Pro 2.7 with 10spd auto tranny is good match
Pro 2.7 more HP is always better - better to have it in case you need it

Con 1895. more $
Con takes up more room in the bay and harder to work on
Con 2 turbo's to care for and more complicated = more possible problems
Con 1-2 MPG less

2.3 Pro / Con list
Pro 2.3 1895. less expensive
Pro 2.3 is only choice for standard transmission
Pro 2.3 has enough horsepower
Pro 2.3 can get tuned for additional HP simply & cheaply
Pro 2.3 gets better MPG (not sure if true when a tune is done)
Pro 2.3 plenty of power - can haul 7500 trailer & 1000lb payload in Ranger no problem
Pro 2.3 offer more engine bay room for mods

Con 2.3 has a less attractive torque curve
Con 2.3 with tune requires 93 octane - cost = price of 2.7 upgrade in 10+- years
Con 2.3 has DI causing valve build up issue (problem eliminated with catch can - cost = ?)
Con 2.3 "thought is" the longevity will be less than 2.7 - no proof

You never can take the element chance out of the equation so there are unknowns that may pop up over the life of both. I say go with your gut!

Sponsored

papsblue

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Around here the spread from regular to premium is about 60c/gallon. Being generous and not including the cost of the 2.3L tune and averaging 18 mpg results in a break-even after 56k miles. Getting the stock 2.7L with regular gas will pay for itself in a few years.

Hold up, the 2.7 will take regular? Friggin' game changer.

Hearing my current 3.2L NA V6 (271HP) struggle climbing Vail Pass this weekend certainly pushes me towards the 2.7 regardless.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Around here the spread from regular to premium is about 60c/gallon. Being generous and not including the cost of the 2.3L tune and averaging 18 mpg results in a break-even after 56k miles. Getting the stock 2.7L with regular gas will pay for itself in a few years.
$.60 per gallon? Where I live it's more like $.25-.30
I already figured the extra cost of premium for my anticipated mileage to be around $150 per year. With the lower fuel economy, cost (with tax, interest) it will take about 10 years to break even. And that's if I tune the 2.3L at all, which I might not do. My '06 Pathfinder has a less power/weight and I've never felt the need for more.
Like I said, if the extra $2k up front is ok just get the 2.7L.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hold up, the 2.7 will take regular? Friggin' game changer.

Hearing my current 3.2L NA V6 (271HP) struggle climbing Vail Pass this weekend certainly pushes me towards the 2.7 regardless.
All engines must accept 87 oct. Once
you tune them, that changes things.

Yes you can get better efficiency with higher octane because the ecu doesn't have to pull timing..but it is not required and you won't damage your engine.
Sponsored