Sponsored

2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision.

MBLANCHARD

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The reality is none of us can know and its all a guessing game. So putting aside the actual designs and engineering differences, simple logic would suggest that the bigger engine will have to work less and therefore would have a longer durability.

But anything could happen. So the best we can do is if you think your Bronco is going to be on the heavier end... go bigger engine for better MPG.

If our choices were between turbo vs non, or diesel vs gas we'd have more to debate. But you are talking 2 more cyl, 0.4 more liters, and an extra turbo... so flip a coin.

Thanks, leaning towards the 2.7 since I am going with an automatic either way.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for posting, I have read through all the pages and this is a good recap. Lots of good points, but I am still on the fence. Power is not that important to me, and I did just test drive the Ranger which has a lot more power than my Escape with a 1.6. I am the most concerned with longevity as I keep my cars for a long time and this will be my daily driver. I have reserved a 2 door Big Bend with (Roof Rack, Tube step, Sound Deadening Headliner, and Tow Package for a bike rack). Keeping the stock tires for now. Wondering if this added weight is a concern for the 2.3. I am not opposed to paying the extra for the 2.7 if it would last longer, but not sure if I really need it with my build?
Mark, the Ranger 2.3L is rated at 7500 lbs towing power. Having a Ranger I've read quite a few post that says it's a tow monster. Many have towed at near the top of the rating, and reported the engine preformed really well. From what I can glean the non-squatched Bronco isn't really that much heavier than the Ranger. If I were going with the Squatch package engine choice would be a no brainer for me, but with the standard suspension Bronco I'm leaning toward the 2.3L, and use the $1900 bucks toward other do-dads that I want. However, I'm like an old woman that can't make up her mind right now. :)

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Totally apples to orange... but I recently sold my Jeep XJ. Last summer (It was the very week Bronco got released) we loaded that sucker up so it was heavy, and headed up to a camping spot that was "in the hills". It was 100 degrees and my old 4.0 inline 6 was working hard to carry all that weight up those long grades... so much so that I had to turn off the AC and turn on the heater to keep it from overheating. Which was awesome when its 100+ outside...NOT.

Now the 2.3 is miles above that old ass engine...And I am 99% sure it would have had no issues...but that was the moment I told myself... never again. Days later I made my Bronco Reservation...selected the 2.7 the moment we knew our choices, and never looked back!

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I want to thank everyone for their help, and opinions. I'm going with the 2.3L as it should be just fine for the way I'll use my Bronco. And as a member here stated, if it's not there's a Ford Performance tune out there just waiting to help. :)

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2019 F150 with the 2.7, and had the same power concerns.

Absolutely no concerns after 1 year with the truck, even under towing and load. And this is with a stock tune. There’s lots of cheap hp and torque to release from both this engine and the 2.3 with a simple stage 1 tune.

Don’t forget the 2.3 is the base for a few quick cars like versions of the Mustang and the Focus RS
I test drove an F-150 with the 2.7 and it felt every bit as quick as our 5.4 F-150. It felt more-than-enough for all but speed demons. The 3.5 felt like it was faster than a pickup should be. ?

Also, the 2.3 in the Mustang is only about 6 ticks off the 5.0. It has just about all you could want. We nearly bought one except we couldn't find one with the active exhaust, which, oddly, even though it can be configured that way, dealers aren't ordering.

I think in the Bronco, the 2.3 is fine for those who are fine with good acceleration and power and the 2.7 is for those who always want the most they can get, MPG be damned. ?

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One of my life philosophys is that it's better to have more and not need it, than to need more and not have it.
Really, it's better to understand what you need and buy only that. I can't think of the benefit of buying something and then never using it.

If it's just the idea of owning something that sounds great, put up a picture of it. ? Or, in the case of the Bronco, just add in vroom sounds or whatever to convince you that you have more than you need if you're never going to use it. ?

But, on that note, may I assume you are getting a fully-loaded Bronco, Lux package and all the goodies? Or is "buy more than you need" only for an engine? :LOL:

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If Ford's 2.3 is anything like Jeep's 2.0L it will be pretty good. I drove a 21 Rubicon on 37's with a 2 inch lift the other day and I was shocked the 2.0L was so peppy..didn't even feel the 37's.
I am still going to get the 2.7 on the Bronco because I plan on heavy 37's and armor. BUT...I will say Jeep's 2.0 was impressive.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Really, it's better to understand what you need and buy only that. I can't think of the benefit of buying something and then never using it.

If it's just the idea of owning something that sounds great, put up a picture of it. ? Or, in the case of the Bronco, just add in vroom sounds or whatever to convince you that you have more than you need if you're never going to use it. ?

But, on that note, may I assume you are getting a fully-loaded Bronco, Lux package and all the goodies? Or is "buy more than you need" only for an engine? :LOL:
Honestly it's just a life philosophy. Can be applied to many things ie toilet paper, abrasives, clean underwear and so on. In this case it applies to the motor/hp. I would rather have it now for an extra couple grand than to try and get it later at an unknown cost.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honestly it's just a life philosophy. Can be applied to many things ie toilet paper, abrasives, clean underwear and so on. In this case it applies to the motor/hp. I would rather have it now for an extra couple grand than to try and get it later at an unknown cost.
Those other examples are different. That's just stocking up, or buying in bulk--buying now what you plan to eventually use because buying now is (hopefully) cheaper. But buying something you don't know if you'll ever use is incrementally more of a bad idea the more it costs.

I recommend he really figure out if he thinks he'll use it, or save $1,900-$3,400 if he doesn't. It's not like the 2.3 won't go anywhere and everywhere the 2.7 will. For some, the quicker 0-60 time and feeling of better pedal response is worth it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Those other examples are different. That's just stocking up, or buying in bulk--buying now what you plan to eventually use because buying now is (hopefully) cheaper. But buying something you don't know if you'll ever use is incrementally more of a bad idea the more it costs.

I recommend he really figure out if he thinks he'll use it, or save $1,900-$3,400 if he doesn't. It's not like the 2.3 won't go anywhere and everywhere the 2.7 will. For some, the quicker 0-60 time and feeling of better pedal response is worth it.
Tim, that's where my decision settled. The 2.3 will take me anywhere I want to go, and over any surface that I would go. I'm certainly no accomplished off roader, and don't expect I'll ever be. So, the 2.3L will fit my needs, and the savings will go for other do-dads like aftermarket wheels. The oem wheels on the OBX just don't do anything for me, so they gotta go...........:)

Last edited:

Halfsmoke00

Base
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Ford Escape AWD V6, '91 Plymouth Acclaim V6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Both the 2.3 and 2.7 will run fine on 87. Both the 2.3 and 2.7 will make more power on premium.

I stay in the middle ground and round 89 lol
Anyone know about either engine being able to run on 85 octane when you're in higher elevations? What about being flex-fuel capable?

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Anyone know about either engine being able to run on 85 octane when you're in higher elevations? What about being flex-fuel capable?
85 at high altitude will be fine as long as your just putting around town. If you tow or have a heavy foot I wouldn't run 85. I wouldn't want to have to rely on the knock sensors constantly having to pull timing to save the engine from detonation. Per your second question, Ecoboosts are not flex-fuel capable with a factory tune.
Sponsored