Sponsored

2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is exactly me. I know for a stone cold fact the 2.3L is plenty engine for the way I drive. But that kid in me still pipes in with, “go big or go home.”

@BroncoT Like Peter Pan we'll never really grow up. I tell the wife that I'm just a mere man, and she shouldn't expect anything different. :) After all of the great discussion about which engine I should choose the kid in me still wants that 2.7L even though I know that the 2.3L will do the job. The best I can do is to just blurt the size of the engine out when Granger calls me to finalize my order. Then try my best to not look back.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If already an automatic, just get the 2.7. Add that port injection and noticeable performance jump for little cost.
That's what the "left" side of my old worn out brain is telling me Jeffery. I think I need some mental health. :)

J_Meh_Cray_D

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's what the "left" side of my old worn out brain is telling me Jeffery. I think I need some mental health. :)
I’m almost mad. Such an easy decision to go to 2.7 haha. I just did the ranger/f-150 engine comparison test drive.
But for me to get 2.7 I’d have to lose manual transmission. Sad. Then I’d have to squatch my BL, which I don’t want to do, just to get the 4.7 gearing for a future tire size increase 😅

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m almost mad. Such an easy decision to go to 2.7 haha. I just did the ranger/f-150 engine comparison test drive.
But for me to get 2.7 I’d have to lose manual transmission. Sad. Then I’d have to squatch my BL, which I don’t want to do, just to get the 4.7 gearing for a future tire size increase 😅
See, that's the craziest thing about my decision. I have a Ranger, and the 2.3L will haul some ass when you throw the coals to it. I'll just set us both up an appointment with a good therapist when this is all over. :)

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Unless you want a manual or are pinching pennies, then go 2.7L. It's just a better engine in-and-out.

Sponsored

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Even for me a 2.3 automatic would be ok because I live in the big city and stick shifting is alot of drama light to light. If I lived in a desert community or a rural area a stick would be my choice . The 2.7 is a well proven motor so it's my first choice.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I need some guidance folks. My old mind keeps telling me the 2.3L engine is too small for a 4 door OBX w/10 spd auto. I'm old school (and just old also), and the thought that there's no replacement for displacement is ingrained in my way of thinking. If you can help me out here I would certainly be thankful. Do I need the 2.7L, or will the smaller 2.3L be fine?
If I was getting an auto, I’d get the 2.7. Especially on the four door. Heck if it came with the 7MT, I’d getting it on the two door.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Unless you want a manual or are pinching pennies, then go 2.7L. It's just a better engine in-and-out.
I'm not so much pinching pennies, there's just rather options I'd rather have for my budget. Could I afford to go over budget, yes. But part of my brain just has a limit its willing to spend on a vehicle

J_Meh_Cray_D

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not so much pinching pennies, there's just rather options I'd rather have for my budget. Could I afford to go over budget, yes. But part of my brain just has a limit its willing to spend on a vehicle
What is this superpower called and where can I get it? Congrats on your discipline!

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As soon as another Bronco with removable top and doors, 4x4, manual transmission vehicle besides a Wrangler was announced to be coming back, I knew I wanted one and it comes with a 2.3 EB. I would prefer the 2.7 but not if I have to drive auto. I have an auto (CVT )in my Camry Hybrid. That’s enough auto for me:)

Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
agreed. Even before the Bronco came out, I knew I would only spend about $40k on it. That’s just what this type of vehicles value is for me.

Ive also been looking at used GT350s and $55k is the number for them.

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Understanding that there is a difference in weight - but that 2.3 in the Ranger is great. If I was not going with the Wildtrak, because I want the black accents and wheels, I would absolutely spec the smaller engine and save the $$. Have the 2.7 in my work XLT and it's also perky - again noting the weight disparity - but the difference in barely noticeable. And . . . if I was younger and it was available I'd think that 2.3/man/sas would be the way to go!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am of a similar mind. I set myself a cap at $50k and if I want the high package BL V6, it exceeds my cap (Z Plan with/Tax), so I am trying to decide if I want the High package or 2.7 more. I am fortunate to have owned a couple of 2.7 F150s, my son has a 2.3 Ranger, and I got to experience the 2.3 Bronco 4dr SQ, so I am making a decision with more exposure to the power trains than many. My decision will be influenced by how long the 2.7 delay runs too. I have decided to turn my current lease in April (Ford already extended mine from last August). I will be riding my DR350 and borrowing my wifes' Explorer until my Bronco comes in, so I will be even more motivated to get my Bronco.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What is this superpower called and where can I get it? Congrats on your discipline!
Haha I mean there's still time to change my mind but right now I'm set lol.

agreed. Even before the Bronco came out, I knew I would only spend about $40k on it. That’s just what this type of vehicles value is for me.

Ive also been looking at used GT350s and $55k is the number for them.

Yep. This will be the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased so making sure I stay in a pre set budget.

I am of a similar mind. I set myself a cap at $50k and if I want the high package BL V6, it exceeds my cap (Z Plan with/Tax), so I am trying to decide if I want the High package or 2.7 more. I am fortunate to have owned a couple of 2.7 F150s, my son has a 2.3 Ranger, and I got to experience the 2.3 Bronco 4dr SQ, so I am making a decision with more exposure to the power trains than many. My decision will be influenced by how long the 2.7 delay runs too. I have decided to turn my current lease in April (Ford already extended mine from last August). I will be riding my DR350 and borrowing my wifes' Explorer until my Bronco comes in, so I will be even more motivated to get my Bronco.
Nice. If I built mine the exact way I want it it comes out to 55 haha. Just no way I'm paying that much.....well maybe if I had a trade in I would but since just throwing some cash down I'll stick with my budget of 45 lol
Sponsored