Sponsored

2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision.

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Since you didn’t express monetary constraints or an extreme desire for the manual transmission as limiting factors then this isn’t even a legitimate question. “I wish my vehicle didn’t have all this extra power”......said no one ever.
I just bought a 2021 Ranger last week and although the power is fine and MPG is acceptable I can’t say I don’t wish a 2.7 was available.
Absent the previously stated issues regarding money or MT, and perhaps a little extra at the pump I can’t think of a single advantage of choosing the 2.3 over the 2.7.
The Op did mention a desire to be practical, but being practical without necessity isn’t practical.......it’s irrational.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think the real question is which transmission the op wants
The auto for me is not an option and if a few years down the line i decide to put some other powerplant in it manual will be simpler.

Rlack75

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.3L will make you a fine engine. The one in my little Ranger is a breast in disguise. If someone says anything, just give the "little engine that could" full pedal. All they'll see is your license plate. I had all plans to go with the 2.3L, and be happy. But at my age this will probably be the last new vehicle I'll buy (probably), and I wanted the 2.7L just because.
Just Because!! đź’Ż

My response in another thread.....I’m at the point in my life where I buy what I want. If I don’t need it that’s a bonus!
AKA-Just Because!!!

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just Because!! đź’Ż

My response in another thread.....I’m at the point in my life where I buy what I want. If I don’t need it that’s a bonus!
AKA-Just Because!!!
Yes sir Ron, with more years behind me than in front of my it's about what I want now. I've been through just getting what I need.

Sponsored

Mtea

Big Bend
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr 2.3 Auto, Porsche Cayenne Diesel Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Same question on another thread. My answer:

Manual vs Auto vs 2.3 vs 2.7: My original BD build had a manual. Bronco is for fun and will almost never be driven in an urban area. That was before I found out the you couldn’t get the 2.7 with a manual so 2.3 or 2.7? My answer: torque. My other vehicle is a Cayenne diesel that has 406 pound feet of torque. And it is a beast to drive. Step on it on a mountain pass and it just pulls away. The 2.7 is tuned more for torque (148 pf/liter; 114 hp/liter) and the 2.3 is tuned more for horsepower (135 pf/liter; 117 hp/liter). I’ll take that extra helping of torque. I don’t think the mpg will be that much different (and I do like mpg; I get 31 mpg with diesel Cayenne when driving 80 mph).

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Factory FX4.

I haven't driven a 2.7. I came from a coyote to this, so it's a big change. Had that four years, before that a 4.3 v6 in a chevy I drove almost 10 years.
The 2.7 smokes the coyote F150 to F150. I have had both and drag raced the Coyote vs. 2.7 multiple times. Have also raced the 2.3 vs. 2.7 and it’s closer than the 5.0 (again, Ranger is lighter). I loved my Coyote, mostly for sound. My 2.7 also gets about 2mpg better average economy.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't race the trucks, so I can't speak to that. I'm definitely saying coming from a v8 the 2.3 is a very different truck. It sounds different, shifts different, feels very different in a way I don't care for. I liked my coyote for work and off road. It feels smooth, I don't get that boost-y peak push feeling. It's a fine engine, but it's distinctly different.

The ranger's brakes are another INSANE issue, but that's for another thread. I hope they do not use the same in the Bronco.

You like one thing, I like another. I'm still getting the 2.7, but I still can't recommend the 2.3 if you have a choice. Pop over to the ranger forum and read about all the issues folks are having.

I'm in NO way saying it's a bad engine or not good enough or anything like that. I just know I don't like it. I don't like reading about the problems, and I'm going to spend 1900 bucks to get a step up.
I like all three motors, the 2.7 being the best I have had and it is my first choice. I was just surprised at the 2.3 and how it performed once we had one. I have also had all three motors in personal vehicles, so I have experience to compare. I have read the Ranger forums and TBH, the numbers and issues are pretty small on the 2.3L. Even the poll posted only has 97 respondents and it from 14 months ago. The poll itself isn't scientific and most of the comments are actually of reporting no issue. I talked to an engineer that works on emissions controls (for a tier 1 supplier, not manufacturer) and he mentioned that the DI motors have a challenge on cold start up that can add to fuel dilution. The manufacturers are always tweaking the system to meet EPA requirements and customer expectations of cold start performance. So far my 5.0l, 2.7 and 2.3 have all been equally problem free and none have had issues with oil level "rise" or needing oil between changes. I will still go 2.3 if the delay is severe on the 2.7, I am getting inpatient!!!!

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have never in my life wished for less power. For those opting for the 2.3 in a 4 door, I hope you are the type that trades vehicles every a few.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You haven’t stated the primary decision: 7MT or Auto: if your going auto either way, then the decision is easy: 2.7 — especially with the four door.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've had the 3.5l in my 2017 F150. It was pretty nice. Decent mileage and went good. I had a modded 2019 2.3l mustang. Intercooler, downpipe, Bov, exhaust, plugs, filter and custom tune that took a while to dial in... It was quick... 330rwhp, 395 rwtq. 10 speed. Was still decent on gas. Now I have a 2.3 Ranger..10 speed. Stock it was impressive. Got about 25 mpg.. pretty quick. Then I got the 2.5" level and 33's. Now it feels doggish and gets about 19mpg. Putting in sport feels a bit better. But the tires did have a big effect on the get up and go... And mpg. Thus knowing this I went for the 2.7. I think it'll get around the same mileage as a modded ranger. But feel better with the gearing and the big jump in TQ. I'd expect both motors to get around the same mileage when 33's+ figure into the power ratio. But the 2.7 to feel better while doing it.
You sound like one of the most experienced on the board in this area. Thanks for the feedback. My last experience with Ford engines were 20 years ago.

I'm likely getting the 2.7L as well but may actually downsize Sasquatch tires after the factory set is used up to get better gas mileage. Though with how I drive it may not be that big of a deal! (Slow)

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I need some guidance folks. My old mind keeps telling me the 2.3L engine is too small for a 4 door OBX w/10 spd auto. I'm old school (and just old also), and the thought that there's no replacement for displacement is ingrained in my way of thinking. If you can help me out here I would certainly be thankful. Do I need the 2.7L, or will the smaller 2.3L be fine?
I have PTSD after driving a four banger on the highway with three meat-and-potato-eating adult passengers and the AC on. I could barely get out of my own way. Now of course this was nothing like the more advanced 2.3 available to us today, but I’m still going with the 2.7.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak