Sponsored

2.7L, or 2.3L. Help me make the right decision.

FifthCard

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With a manual transmission crawl gear, the 2.3 would be capable of climbing a vertical wall with a 90:1 gear reduction ratio. That gearing makes the 2.3 liter's 310 ft/lbs of torque at the crank multiply to nearly 30,000 ft/lbs of torque at the wheel (enough to overcome gravity with sufficient traction).
I did forget about the crawl gear but no way are you reaching peak torque at low rpm. Still should be able to handle it. Automatics are screwed šŸ˜‰
Sponsored

Ecobeast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

again she never rock crawled with that 2.3L. That little rock patch they drove over is a normal gravel road to me. I would like to see someone scrape the bumper going up and over some rock ledges crawling up and then tell me you don't notice a difference.

I am sure it is capable but people who rock crawl on the regular are not putting hemi in the jeep because they want bad MPG's.
People have gone rock crawling all over the world with engines far weaker than the 2.3 forever... The 2.3 realistically wonā€™t be a limiting factor in anything that any member on this forum is actually going to do with a Bronco. The only reason to get a 2.7 is because you want it which is plenty valid since itā€™s your money. The 2.3 makes tons of power itā€™s a great engine.

FifthCard

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People have gone rock crawling all over the world with engines far weaker than the 2.3 forever... The 2.3 realistically wonā€™t be a limiting factor in anything that any member on this forum is actually going to do with a Bronco. The only reason to get a 2.7 is because you want it which is plenty valid since itā€™s your money. The 2.3 makes tons of power itā€™s a great engine.
I wanna go fast in a not so fast vehicle

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I ordered 2.7 because, well, I want it. But I had a past experience that suggested horsepower isnā€™t everything. 25 years ago I went to South Africa on a 3 week consulting job. At the end, I went to a wildlife park right up by Kruger Natl Park. They put us in some kind of big old Land Rover and we drove all over the place looking at the wildlife. That thing was all metal, no plastic, open air and seated about 10 of us plus the driver and a ā€œtrackerā€. Anyway, that driver went everywhere, in and out of washes, up steep slopes, even across a small stream. It was wheeling at its best and that heavy old Land Rover went everywhere. We stopped once to stretch our legs and I commented to the driver he must have some kind of British V10 under the hood. (At that time back home I was turning a 302 into a 347 stroker motor for an old Bronco because, you know in wheeling, thereā€™s no substitute for horsepower.) Of course he pops the hood and in there is a little 4 banger. I was amazed and reminded how little I knew. I canā€™t remember what he said but it was something to the effect ā€œskill, torque, gearing,ā€¦.ā€ and he was polite enough not to offer up any comments about stupid ass Yanks. Iā€™ve heard others tell similar stories so I guess 2.3 vs 2.7 really comes down to want vs need.

Last edited:

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

again she never rock crawled with that 2.3L. That little rock patch they drove over is a normal gravel road to me. I would like to see someone scrape the bumper going up and over some rock ledges crawling up and then tell me you don't notice a difference.

I am sure it is capable but people who rock crawl on the regular are not putting hemi in the jeep because they want bad MPG's.
I suspect they're putting Hemis in because the Jeep comes stock with a Pentastar. :)

Ford 2.3L is making 300 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque. 3.6 Pentastar (the same engine used in Dodge Caravan) is making 285 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque. Put in the 5.7L Hemi and you're adding a lot of weight to the front end, but you're getting 345 hp and 375 lb-ft of torque.

Even that wimpy Pentastar is climbing all the things in Moab. I suspect the more than 100 lb-ft of torque is what they're after.

In my case, I ordered the 2.7, but realistically, I'd probably be fine with the 2.3. I'm not changing it, though. I was jaded by my JK experience with 35s, the Pentastar, and the 4.10 gear ratio. The gearing is going to make more difference than anything and the 2.3 is coming with 4.7 gear ratio.

Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP already made the proper choice... still fun to read the arguments though

Bronco B

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BD, 2017 Indian Chief Darkhorse
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For me, it was the gobs of torque that pushed me to the 2.7L. I have a 17' Aluminum fishing boat that I will be towing from time to time. With the trailer, it's around 2200 lbs.
Speaking of which, a buddy of mine has always gone by the golden rule when spec'ing boats - always get the biggest engine they offer, so you have no regrets later. I thought it was pretty sound advice...

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I did forget about the crawl gear but no way are you reaching peak torque at low rpm. Still should be able to handle it. Automatics are screwed šŸ˜‰
Did you forget about the fact that the torque converter isn't locked up until the RPM increases.

1976BRONCO

Badlands
First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 BRONCO, 89GRANDWAGONEER, 2014WRANGLER, 07FJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm lucky and happy to say I am driving a 2.3 Sasquatch Big Bend 2 door right now. I have a 2.7 Badlands 2 door on order.
The 2.3 is plenty FAST. Plenty of torque. No issues at all ever. Plus there is a Sport mode that seems to add punch and torque. Ive got a 302 V8 in my 76 Bronco. a 5.9 V8 in my Grand Wagoneer. and this 2.3 is GREAT by comparison. MUCH FASTER than both old V8's Im considering changing my original order to the 2.3 to get the order pulled. (Ordered Jan 20, 2021)

RCVBAF

Big Bend
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2005 Ranger FX4, & 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I need some guidance folks. My old mind keeps telling me the 2.3L engine is too small for a 4 door OBX w/10 spd auto. I'm old school (and just old also), and the thought that there's no replacement for displacement is ingrained in my way of thinking. If you can help me out here I would certainly be thankful. Do I need the 2.7L, or will the smaller 2.3L be fine?
I had the same issue. I drove both at the Off Roadeo. I got the 2.3L. It has plenty of power. Iā€™ve had my BB for a week and put 34ā€™s on it. I couldnā€™t be more pleased with my choice.

Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I need some guidance folks. My old mind keeps telling me the 2.3L engine is too small for a 4 door OBX w/10 spd auto. I'm old school (and just old also), and the thought that there's no replacement for displacement is ingrained in my way of thinking. If you can help me out here I would certainly be thankful. Do I need the 2.7L, or will the smaller 2.3L be fine?
The 2.3l is proving to be the more reliable engine so far with no reported engine failures while the 2.7 seems to have some engine failures we donā€™t know how big it is cause ford refuses to address the issue

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I went with the 2.7 I take delivery this week but had I known what I know now I would have went 2.3 now I got to pray my 2.7 isent a peice of shit . I went 2.7 cause everyone said it was reliable and same engine in the f150 and come to find out itā€™s not the same 2.7 as in the f150 itā€™s a little diffrent lol so first year problems

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm lucky and happy to say I am driving a 2.3 Sasquatch Big Bend 2 door right now. I have a 2.7 Badlands 2 door on order.
The 2.3 is plenty FAST. Plenty of torque. No issues at all ever. Plus there is a Sport mode that seems to add punch and torque. Ive got a 302 V8 in my 76 Bronco. a 5.9 V8 in my Grand Wagoneer. and this 2.3 is GREAT by comparison. MUCH FASTER than both old V8's Im considering changing my original order to the 2.3 to get the order pulled. (Ordered Jan 20, 2021)
I have two orders in. One a 2.3 and one a 2.7 (Sasquatch). . . The 2.7 sas got pulled first (finally)

11pm
And 11:10 pm reservations. So šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I went with the 2.7 I take delivery this week but had I known what I know now I would have went 2.3 now I got to pray my 2.7 isent a peice of shit . I went 2.7 cause everyone said it was reliable and same engine in the f150 and come to find out itā€™s not the same 2.7 as in the f150 itā€™s a little diffrent lol so first year problems
I wouldn't worry to much about the 2.7L Angelo. They have been around a while, and are in a bunch of Ford vehicles. I suspect the ones that had troubles can be traced back to a parts supplier that produced some bad parts. It not a prevalent problem. It just seems that way since we're in a vaccum here on the forum, and see more than usual reported. Be worry free, and enjoy that new Bronco.

BTW, I decided to go with the 2.7L just because that's what I wanted. I test drove a 2.3L BB, and like everyone said it is quite adequate.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think the formula is easy..

4Door + Sasquatch = 2.7
Actual off road/overland build = 2.7

If you are getting a non Sasquatch and don't plan on loading it up with actual heavy off road gear then 2.3 will be perfect.

Fyi, I've driven both. Spent a day at the Moab rodeo in a WT, spend an hour off roading in a 2.3 badlands (all 4 doors). No way I'd want the 2.3. the only way I'd get the 4 banger is if my Bronco falls through and I have to buy a JLU.
Sponsored