2.7L v6 E85

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3, Mustang, Tacoma, Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I can't find almost any information on this. Does the 2.7L v6 have enough fueling capability to be tuned for E85? I don't want to hear about E85's impacts on the fueling system - you have to pay to play with E85, that's fine. Definitely going to be putting together a plan to do the first E85 Bronco tune.
Sponsored

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That something that's going to be hard to say until it comes out. It wouldn't be out of the question to have to change out injectors and maybe add a booster pump. My question would be is the factory ECU set-up to add in a FLEX sensor. All I had to do on my CTS-V was add the sensor and pin a wire into the stock ECU harness and turn on the FLEX in the ECU.

OP
OP

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's the same motor that's been in the F150 for few years - even with a FLEX sensor it still doesn't take full advantage of the timing potential running E85. Even the stock motor on 87 or 93 doesn't take into account the full timing hence the tune.

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's the same motor that's been in the F150 for few years - even with a FLEX sensor it still doesn't take full advantage of the timing potential running E85. Even the stock motor on 87 or 93 doesn't take into account the full timing hence the tune.
Oh definitely not. That where the custom tuning and more boost come into play. My V makes an additional 90whp from 93 to E65, on the same boost.

OP
OP

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The other question is how much HP and TQ can the transmission, transfer case, rear diff and axles take.. The manual trans is theoretically limited at 400tq - the auto can obviously take that but I wonder about the transfer case, axles etc. I would guess you wouldn't want to run the 2.7L E85 tune full send in 4x4 high. probably best to keep it low key if in 4x4 high.

Sponsored

Ford49

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/'65 Mustang/F-150 Lightning/Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a fusion sport with the 2.7 and I have 93 and e30 tunes. There are a couple of guys that have upgraded the full pump and are currently datalogging/tuning for straight e85

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
E85 is amazing stuff. Been tuned for it on my STis since 2012 and my current STi makes +100 whp and +150wtq over stock.

Ive seen quite a few posts online of 2.7 F150s tuned on E85 making incredible gains Like +80 whp and +100 wtq and quarter mile in the 13s. Pretty crazy for a small 6 in a big pick up.

I really want the 2.7 but I REALLY want a manual

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The 2.7 should be full E85 capable with tuning. The 2018+ F-150's are capable of it thanks to dual injection.

I plan on being full E85 also from day one. We'll see who gets there first ;)

I wouldn't worry about the trans. There are lots of 700hp+ F-150's out there on the stock 10R80. Proper tuning makes them live happily.

With turbo upgrades and free flowing exhaust, you can make 600rwhp on the 2.7.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.7 should be full E85 capable with tuning. The 2018+ F-150's are capable of it thanks to dual injection.

I plan on being full E85 also from day one. We'll see who gets there first ;)

I wouldn't worry about the trans. There are lots of 700hp+ F-150's out there on the stock 10R80. Proper tuning makes them live happily.

With turbo upgrades and free flowing exhaust, you can make 600rwhp on the 2.7.
The potential of the 2.7 Vs the 2.3 is killing me because I want a manual. I will tune either one I end up with and a manual 2.3 with full bolt in’s will be a fun no doubt and with a built motor and bigger turbo would be a beast. Just easier and cheaper to get more out of the 2.7. I’m pretty happy with my FBO E85 STi making around 350whp and 400wtq. I think I could get similar in the 2.3 Bronco with FBO E85 but much heavier than the STi

I just don’t know if I will get more bored of the 2.3 power or more bored with the auto transmission.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The potential of the 2.7 Vs the 2.3 is killing me because I want a manual. I will tune either one I end up with and a manual 2.3 with full bolt in’s will be a fun no doubt and with a built motor and bigger turbo would be a beast. Just easier and cheaper to get more out of the 2.7. I’m pretty happy with my FBO E85 STi making around 350whp and 400wtq. I think I could get similar in the 2.3 Bronco with FBO E85 but much heavier than the STi

I just don’t know if I will get more bored of the 2.3 power or more bored with the auto transmission.
I fully understand your dilemma! What sucks is we don't know how tough the manual is since it's a new trans and we don't know how good of a clutch it will have from the factory. What if even simple bolt-ons and a tune makes it start to slip? I thought I would get tired of the auto in my truck, but after tuning it and feeling it shift, it is fun. A tuned 10R80 bangs through the gears quickly with a nice push into the seat with each shift

Sponsored

spiG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 BD/20 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Tuned e85 2.7 would be lovely to have! e85 is not readily available where I live but have to drive to the city everyday where I can get it.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tuned e85 2.7 would be lovely to have! e85 is not readily available where I live but have to drive to the city everyday where I can get it.
I see you have an STi. Go Cobb flexfuel! my 11 STi has been tuned on E85 since 2012, but back then it had to be E85 or 93 so I would have to run the tank to empty before changing fuels and maps. Last year I got Cobb flexfuel kit which allows me to put any combination in. E85 is amazing and if it can, it will be in the Bronco.

spiG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 BD/20 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I see you have an STi. Go Cobb flexfuel! my 11 STi has been tuned on E85 since 2012, but back then it had to be E85 or 93 so I would have to run the tank to empty before changing fuels and maps. Last year I got Cobb flexfuel kit which allows me to put any combination in. E85 is amazing and if it can, it will be in the Bronco.
Yea I know all about flexfuel on my Sti. Not my first subie to mod. Currently just stage 2 as I have other toys I buy stuff for right now. Thing with the Sti it requires rails,lines,injectors,fuel pump, etc etc.... 2.7l far less needed to do it (i believe), much cheaper to run e85 on then a EJ2.5 (wrx 2.0 DI different story)
Sponsored

Last edited: