Blacktip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette/Element
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hello:

I am new here and looking forward to place my order this month. I want to order the 2.7 V6, but I am concerned about reliability. I know there are issues with the engine, and I want to know whether Ford has fixed them, and how reliable the V6 overall.

I am planning on using the Bronco to go and drive on remote beaches, cape Lookout, Hatteras, etc. So, a reliable car is a must. I am considering Badland with Sas, and Everglade. Everglade is not available with V6, but I like the winch and the snorkel. Badland is overkill for what I need, but the way Ford structure the options doesn't give me many choices. I want the rubber floor, vinyl seats, LED lamps, and the 35". I may tow small camper, or load the car with camping gears - haven't decided yet.

Any info is appreciated.
Sponsored

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If there are any engines in the affected Julian date range not installed, there is the possibility. However, I think they are all spoken for. With that in mind, I think the 2.7L is a good choice. BTW, my engine was in the affected batch and I have almost 19,000 on it.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.3 litre engine in the Everglades is going to be more than enough for what you need. It's not a weak engine design and the power transfer is really good. Estimated 300 HP with 325 fpt if you're using premium fuel.

Plus you get the winch, snorkel, and the cool wheels. Fuel economy is better. And you have fewer gremlins to worry about.

I drive a 2 Door Badlands and it's fit for purpose. But, I feel like it's a little overkill for what I absolutely need. If I could turn back the dial, knowing what I know now, I could see myself switching to the 2.3L engine.

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We have one of each. My 2.7 is a week before the known order reported failuresšŸ˜³šŸ˜³. Is it fixed? Yes seems they have found the issue and isolated when it occurred. The 2.3 is a fine motor even thin ours gets worse MPg than my 2.7. I attribute some of that to how my wife drives. That said the 2.3 is a very capable motor esp off road. You donā€™t get any more towing capacity going to the 2.7. Is the 2.7 faster seat if the pants says yes. But the 2.3 isnā€™t exactly a slouch. If I were to do it over Iā€™d probably saved the $$ from the 2.7 and put it towards a high or lux package badlands.

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

check out my post in this thread. Alludes to some changes/updates in newer production vehicles. Makes me feel better.

Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2.7L is fixed until it breaks again. There are reports of engines built in 2022 that are failing.

Read the issues section and consider if the Bronco is a reliable vehicle for your needs.

There are a few reports of Broncos going off-road and the fuel pump failing, and tie rods snapping from a wrong move, all failures that will leave the owner stranded. No amount of Ford sponsored free laminated poker cards will help you with the wait for the tow truck when you are off-roading.

I know it's a cool vehicle, my wife wants one and I ordered her one but do your research if you are going solo off-roading.

Carl Sagan

Wildtrak
First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco WIldtrak HOSS 3.0
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Order your 2.7L and donā€™t look back man. So few of them happened. I have had 3 fords including the bronco now with the 2.7L. Not one issue with my engines.

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 2.3 litre engine in the Everglades is going to be more than enough for what you need. It's not a weak engine design and the power transfer is really good. Estimated 300 HP with 325 fpt if you're using premium fuel.

Plus you get the winch, snorkel, and the cool wheels. Fuel economy is better. And you have fewer gremlins to worry about.

I drive a 2 Door Badlands and it's fit for purpose. But, I feel like it's a little overkill for what I absolutely need. If I could turn back the dial, knowing what I know now, I could see myself switching to the 2.3L engine.

Pretty sure fuel economy on 35's is not better with the 2.3 and I doubt there are actually any more 'gremlins' with the 2.7.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The great info collected on this site shows the issue was resolved in late 21. I would have no reservations about ordering a 2.7 now. And having driven both, and owning the 2.7 since last year, no way I would order a Bronco with less than the 2.7.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Buying a used 2.7?? If so, then just make sure the motor production date doesn't fall within the known failure range for the 2021's to give yourself peace of mind

Buying a new 2.7? Nothing to be concerned about.

Looks like identically optioned models with the mid package and 2.3 nets EG at 54.6k vs BL at 55.4k (August MY22 pricing). So less than a grand difference in price but differences in options:

EG would include:
winch
12" screen
squarish fenders and flares
snorkel
light gray MGV
unique wheels
very low take rate so extra uniqueness factor

BL would include:
stabilizer disconnect

If you are happy with the mid package and the 2.3 then go EG. If you feel you need more power or options then BL is the choice. More power is always better but the 2.3 (hp=270,tq=309) is very comparable to my 2013 Jeep (hp=285,tq=260) which I wheeled pretty hard and the Bronco has much better gearing.

Sponsored

xpathf1nderx

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This engine has been in use since 2015, is in my bronco, and my wife's Edge ST. The impacted concerns were date code related, and was like a year ago. I dont think there are any more concerns with this engine as others.

miami2823

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Firstly, you're going to get a lot of cope from people on this thread trying to say the "2.3L is enough and almost the same as the 2.7L" ... when it is not and not even close. Its just what some folks tell themselves at night to help them sleep better.

As other people have stated, it seems like it was just a bad batch of engines during a specific timeframe last year. It has been sensationalized to be bigger than that cause, ya know, clicks and views. You're good to go to get the 2.7L.

frdfan

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BB Sasquatch HPRM
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hello:

I am new here and looking forward to place my order this month. I want to order the 2.7 V6, but I am concerned about reliability. I know there are issues with the engine, and I want to know whether Ford has fixed them, and how reliable the V6 overall.

I am planning on using the Bronco to go and drive on remote beaches, cape Lookout, Hatteras, etc. So, a reliable car is a must. I am considering Badland with Sas, and Everglade. Everglade is not available with V6, but I like the winch and the snorkel. Badland is overkill for what I need, but the way Ford structure the options doesn't give me many choices. I want the rubber floor, vinyl seats, LED lamps, and the 35". I may tow small camper, or load the car with camping gears - haven't decided yet.

Any info is appreciated.
Get what you want, it has a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty with roadside assistance.

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sorry to be mean but you will not be able to order a Unicorn this month. I hate to say but ordering is not till September now.
Sponsored