Sponsored

2.7L w/ manual trans (is Ford listening?)

MallCrawlinBranco

Badlands
First Name
stevo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A more reasonable request would probably be to add port injection to the 2.3L. Although, be careful what you wish for; Toyota's V6 became even less responsive once they added direct+port injection. More fuel injection wizardry=more chances a computer will ignore your inputs and do something else for emissions reasons (i.e. rev hang).
So have them make the lesser of two choices even worse? I think asking for the v6 with a lower output tune is very reasonable. Still more power and cleaner valves. All they need to do is change the bellhousing. Seems like a much easier task than messing with an engine design. Plus it would be unproven. I'm already a second (third if they keep delaying it ;)) year buyer to avoid risk with a totally brand new vehicle.
Sponsored

aonorato

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ, Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey all hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was looking around at a bronco faq for dealerships and one of the questions was about the manual trans. The question is. “Is the manual transmission available on the 2.7 eb? Will it be available later?” The response listed from ford was “No, we have specifically designed the bronco 7 speed manual for the 2.3 liter eco boost engine”. Now ford doesn’t explicitly answer the question about will it in the future but after reading that, and considering the new gt500 is automatic, I wouldn’t hold out hope for manual in the 2.7
Ordering a manual, and was initially disappointed when I found out it will only be the 2.3, but I will wait to pass my judgement until I get to test drive...which hopefully I will get to do before ordering (?)

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R || 2019 Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably not going to happen. The manual probably can't handle the additional power. The autos are just to efficient, strong and programable now.
ah...my 526hp / 429 lb-ft GT350R handles the hp/tq pretty well...

they obviously don't need that manual gearbox (although it would be awesome in the Bronco). They could just put the Mustang GT manual gearbox in there (it certainly handles the power as well)...

I'm guessing the reason for no manual is there are probably a lot of "modes" or off-road features which just don't work in manual. So even though manual would be the choice for some, selecting it would negate so many of the off-road features? I dunno...only guessing here.

I for one love manual trans but I have yet to decide if I want a Bronco in manual. Small, sporty car (Mustang is not small -- lol but feels small once you're inside...it's weird).

I drove a friends jeep in manual, that manual was pretty sad (all sloshy, no f-ing dead pedal...like wtf...they say "you get use to it" ...no I don't Jeeper man). I thought my Golf R gearbox was pretty shitty coming from my GT350R, but then I drove that Jeep and and my Golf R felt like a 911 lol (I almost didn't buy the Golf R in manual because I didn't like the cable shifters in the manual). Also clutch feel is way off in the Jeep...I drove for 30 mins and still had almost no feeling of where or even if I was pushing the clutch. Horrible. And the Jeep guys are saying it's like a bloody sports car. And all I can think is wf sports car are they driving? And if they think this is good, what the hell was it like before lol.

Anyway, my long-winded point is, if Ford can put in an AWESOME manual gearbox in ...I may go manual, instead of taking the "relaxing, chill out, auto box" ...but please, please, don't cheap out on the manual.

Since this is fresh, new 7 speed design with crawl mode I can only assume it will be good...why design a pos from new? Is it a modified gearbox from another vehicle?

That's the only issue, can the gearbox they've designed handle the torque of the 2.7L V6 or can they modify the Mustang GT gearbox to have the crawler gear. And if not to both those, there will be no manual for the 2.7L ...at least this year....I'm guessing here, but there's no way they have enough time to test/design an entire new gearbox...

Lance103222

First Edition
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F250, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Nothing would make me happier to have a manual with a larger engine. We love or Mustang Bullitt with it's 6 speed stick. It is a fast/fun beast to drive.

mrklas

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HRV
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Interesting discussion and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a one just like it by the members of the Bronco team.

Ultimately, they made decisions to optimize the use of resources to attract the broadest demographic.

Ultimately the decision was a cost decision and when comparing transmission space within the driveline and frame have a huge impact on modifications to decide on Getrag, ZF, or the many other suppliers.

Finally, outside of the 'driver engagement criteria' (I've owned numerous manuals - Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, Audi, BMW, Aston Martin and Nissan) automatics (including automated manuals) provide significant benefits in terms of fuel economy, integration with drivetrain and safety systems and ultimately Ford made a strategic decision to invest in development of a 10-speed automatic and offering that as the transmission of choice may tie with future hybrid drivetrain investments.

I can appreciate the desire for a manual but I've embraced the improved automatics in my most recent vehicles including CVT in my Honda, PDK in my last Porsche and the ZF 8 that is in my Aston Martin as well as cars made by BMW, Dodge and others.

In high performance driving the action of shifting is a high risk activity- and the newer automatics reduce that risk significantly.

I'm actually worried about the longevity of the engine, impact of start-stop and steering since I haven't had a Ford without hydraulic steering!

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting discussion and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a one just like it by the members of the Bronco team.

Ultimately, they made decisions to optimize the use of resources to attract the broadest demographic.

Ultimately the decision was a cost decision and when comparing transmission space within the driveline and frame have a huge impact on modifications to decide on Getrag, ZF, or the many other suppliers.

Finally, outside of the 'driver engagement criteria' (I've owned numerous manuals - Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, Audi, BMW, Aston Martin and Nissan) automatics (including automated manuals) provide significant benefits in terms of fuel economy, integration with drivetrain and safety systems and ultimately Ford made a strategic decision to invest in development of a 10-speed automatic and offering that as the transmission of choice may tie with future hybrid drivetrain investments.

I can appreciate the desire for a manual but I've embraced the improved automatics in my most recent vehicles including CVT in my Honda, PDK in my last Porsche and the ZF 8 that is in my Aston Martin as well as cars made by BMW, Dodge and others.

In high performance driving the action of shifting is a high risk activity- and the newer automatics reduce that risk significantly.

I'm actually worried about the longevity of the engine, impact of start-stop and steering since I haven't had a Ford without hydraulic steering!
High pervormance driving IS a high risk activity, buy the ticket take the ride.

jonboy1225

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A long list of 3 pedalers, and various tow trucks
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As much as I would be excited for the first manual EcoBoost V6.....

I seriously doubt there will be a manual option for the 2.7 no matter how loud the response is. This is for several reasons, just to name a few:

•The 2.7 shares it's bell housing pattern with the 3.3, 3.5, 3.7 V6 engines (whether turbo or not)

•The only MANUAL transmission model using this engine family (that I know of) is the Mustang, which uses a vastly different transmission design that doesn't accept a transfer case. That is the 3.7 naturally aspirated engine.

•All new, unique flywheel and clutch to mate to the 2.7 crankshaft.

•Completely new ECU mapping to run an engine that was paired with an electronically linked automatic since the beginning.

•The rated torque of the 7spd and the peak tq number of the 2.7 is right at the limit, and that's down low-ish in the revs. No OEM is going to warranty that. See next point lol

•Simple fact that y'all will break stuff ? Sasquatch heavy tires and stupid low gearing + 400(tuned++)ft.lb. + locked axle traction or in a bind + angry clutch dump wheel hopping = BOOM!!

Just my opinion, and believe me I REALLY want it too.

-=[P@]=-

Badlands
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger 4.0L, '18 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want an Off Road vehicle not a daily driver.

I've loved driving sticks my entire driving life.

Do you think the reason motor cycles cling to manuals is cost driven, no it's the control!

I have a reservation for Badlands and I would love it have 2.7L and manual!

I am really torn which is more important to me, the 2.7L or the Manual.

Paddle shifting is does not compare, the best ones still lag and don't have that snap of a manual!

Automatics make me feel like a passenger not a driver!

FORD, please make me feel like a driver!

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

To be honest I doubt you guys will see a manual with the 2.7. Should be lucky that there are even any manuals left and thst they are offering it all cause in 10-20 years you probably won't see a manual ever again

RadMan24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As much as I would be excited for the first manual EcoBoost V6.....

I seriously doubt there will be a manual option for the 2.7 no matter how loud the response is. This is for several reasons, just to name a few:

•The 2.7 shares it's bell housing pattern with the 3.3, 3.5, 3.7 V6 engines (whether turbo or not)

•The only MANUAL transmission model using this engine family (that I know of) is the Mustang, which uses a vastly different transmission design that doesn't accept a transfer case. That is the 3.7 naturally aspirated engine.

•All new, unique flywheel and clutch to mate to the 2.7 crankshaft.

•Completely new ECU mapping to run an engine that was paired with an electronically linked automatic since the beginning.

•The rated torque of the 7spd and the peak tq number of the 2.7 is right at the limit, and that's down low-ish in the revs. No OEM is going to warranty that. See next point lol

•Simple fact that y'all will break stuff ? Sasquatch heavy tires and stupid low gearing + 400(tuned++)ft.lb. + locked axle traction or in a bind + angry clutch dump wheel hopping = BOOM!!

Just my opinion, and believe me I REALLY want it too.
In general you are on the right track. There are a few good posts on this topic. Honestly, it depends on how the Bronco feels and drives that will determine if a 2.7L is really needed to drive manual sales /or sales in general. The 10-speed is not nearly as smooth as the 8-speed in Jeeps, but how that impacts people's buying habits remains to be seen. If it wasn't for that 8-speed, people wouldn't be switching from manuals, it is truly one of ZF's greatest auto tranny's ever built.

Edit: And FAR better than GM's 8-speed. Yet, GM's 10-speed seems to have favorable reviews relative to Ford's 10-speed, which shouldn't really be the case, but GM's 10's are generally on NA engines while Ford's are on Turbo's, so there is a possibility the turbo lag impacts smoothness of transmission (just a theory, not at all science).

Sponsored
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST, 2013 Jeep JKU, 1979 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan on waiting for the 2022 MY at this point but still keeping my badlands reservation just in case they do put the manual with the 2.7

However, when they release the redesign for the next gen ranger in 22 and IF they let you pair the manual in that truck. I might reconsider the bronco for the utility and towing capacity of a truck that can handle close to a Bronco off road.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan on waiting for the 2022 MY at this point but still keeping my badlands reservation just in case they do put the manual with the 2.7

However, when they release the redesign for the next gen ranger in 22 and IF they let you pair the manual in that truck. I might reconsider the bronco for the utility and towing capacity of a truck that can handle close to a Bronco off road.
I'm right there with you!

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok. We got Mansquatch! Now, let’s get to work on a 2.7L with a stick.

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it will be available in a few years, possibly the midlife update/refresh.

I know people are mentioning the bell housing being different, but the automatic fits on both engines.