Sponsored

2.7L w/ manual trans (is Ford listening?)

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

MallCrawlinBranco

Badlands
First Name
stevo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco 30-65k
C7 Corvette 60k -140k yes 2-3x on average.

the ford 7 speed is a completely new transmission. Meaning if they wanted a 2.7 manual they would have to make up their own gearing. Which takes HOUR AND HOURS TO RND. Test driving. Computer models. And test after test for mpg and performance. Not to mention the EPA and IIHS testing. so it would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to fully develop. And as I said for what 2,000 more customers that would have likely bought the bronco any way? Sorry they would not have made up their costs
So here is where I lose the plot: If they were going to get 2000 more customers if they paired it with the 2.7, why not develop ONLY for the 2.7? It makes no sense that they would go for the 2.3 only. Its as if they let that marketing decision go to an old fool who still buys into the "manual transmission owners only buy that because its cheaper". Maybe on a mitsubishi mirage, but on an enthusiast vehicle? Manual buyers are enthusiasts or old timers resistant to change. Both of those groups have the mentality of "more cylinders more better" so what all of us complaining about the 2.7 want to know is what the hell was ford thinking? You can talk all day about how ford won't make it available for the 2.7 NOW, which I'd agree with since they need to double down on their mistake, but why was the mistake made in the first place?

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2-3X price is funny. The first edition bronco costs 10k more than the base price of a c7 vette. Sure the highest optioned vette can top 100k+, but the ones they sell the most of are more like 70-80k give or take. Which is maybe double a base model bronco without too many options, but doesn’t even double higher trims or fully optioned broncos. The ZR1 is the most expensive model and they only had that one year of the c7 and only made 2500 of them. And given that broncos will likely sell triple or more a year than vettes easy, even IF they were triple the price it evens out. And even if your estimated 2k buyer increase was solely people going from a 2.3 to a 2.7 for manual, at say maybe an randomly estimated 3k price difference, that’s a $6million increase for ford, think that would pay off the hundreds of thousands spent on the transmission in one year, let alone multiple years. Even more when you included people that won’t even buy the bronco unless they make a 2.7 manual as that would be a full price of a sale that wouldn’t have happened otherwise. And have you looked at how many different gearing options they made for the 6060? You can make the same transmission with perfect gearing for 2 engines if tremec can make that in multiple different gear ratios for engines ranging from 400hp to 800hp(not to mention holds over 1200hp behind severely modded engines) with anywhere from 6cylinders to 10cylinders, at least one of which being a turbo engine. Yes there are differences, but I think you exaggerate them more than they really are. Ford could have made it, without that much extra cost, and would have recouped their cost within a couple years at least. They just chose not to.
Agreed!

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd even take a de-rated V6. I want that port injection, and a lighter load means a happier engine .... Seems like it would be no problem getting people to upgrade to a more powerful engine, but only getting the lowest tier certainly turns plenty off. I don't get what Ford was thinking here...
I don't think Ford was thinking, they just added the manual because Jeep had one. The bronco is carefully crafted to beet the jeep JL in every way by just a little. 7 speed is one more the the 6, More HP then jeep. 35" tires are just the next size up from the jeep's 33's. Lockers on more trim levels then the jeep.

If Jeep had a manual with more of their engine options I bet Ford would have too. Maybe we need to be asking Jeep to have a manual with their upcoming v8 .

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't think Ford was thinking, they just added the manual because Jeep had one. The bronco is carefully crafted to beet the jeep JL in every way by just a little. 7 speed is one more the the 6, More HP then jeep. 35" tires are just the next size up from the jeep's 33's. Lockers on more trim levels then the jeep.

If Jeep had a manual with more of their engine options I bet Ford would have too. Maybe we need to be asking Jeep to have a manual with their upcoming v8 .
True, but wranglers manual is on their V6 engine, and they have 3 engines but only one with manual. One upping them shoulda been Ford putting manuals on both their engines, or at least on the turbo 6 vs their NA 6.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
True, but wranglers manual is on their V6 engine, and they have 3 engines but only one with manual. One upping them shoulda been Ford putting manuals on both their engines, or at least on the turbo 6 vs their NA 6.
But the 2.3 is a better motor than the 3.6 Jeep. 3.6 Jeep only has 260lbft ford has 310

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
But the 2.3 is a better motor than the 3.6 Jeep. 3.6 Jeep only has 260lbft ford has 310
Never said it wasn’t, the 2.3 is a turbo too. And Jeep puts their 2.0 turbo over the 3.6. But the 3.6 is still a 6 cylinder, and that’s all some people care about. So a turbo 6 is closer comparison and that much better than the NA 6 in Jeep.

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m more worried about AC cents in the second row!

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want that port injection
A more reasonable request would probably be to add port injection to the 2.3L. Although, be careful what you wish for; Toyota's V6 became even less responsive once they added direct+port injection. More fuel injection wizardry=more chances a computer will ignore your inputs and do something else for emissions reasons (i.e. rev hang).

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think they did the math and realize they can only sell the 2.3 if it's the only way you can get a manual. There is no reason anyone would want the 2.3 when the 2.7 is only 2-3% more $$$. The 2.3 will get the same MPG of the 2.7 plus or minus 1. I see no upside to the 2.3 and I'm only considering it for the manual.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Grandkids.
When i was their age we didnt even have room in the backseat, had to sit in the window shelf cooking like a lizard!

Joking that was actually my brother who is about 19 years older than me sleeping up there in my dads torino that he sold before i was born.

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
When i was their age we didnt even have room in the backseat, had to sit in the window shelf cooking like a lizard!

Joking that was actually my brother who is about 19 years older than me sleeping up there in my dads torino that he sold before i was born.
In my family growing up (three kids), there was this eternal struggle to not have 'the hump seat.'
I called no hump seat! No, I did first! But I had it last time! Etc. Pretty much every time we drove anywhere together as a family. My parents drank.

Nate
Sponsored