Sponsored

2 Door, 2.3L, BD Audio Upgrade Build (Thread)

11clayton

Black Diamond
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Planning my build for my Bronco which was supposed to arrive yesterday. Now stuck in limbo :)

Details:
AMP: JL VXI 700/5i DSP, 75w x 4 + 300w x 1
JLDRC-205 control knob (Volume, sub level, and DSP setting to toggle between tuning for doors/roof on and doors/roof off)
SUB: JL TW3v3, 400w max RMS wattage
Speakers: UP FRONT Focal 165A3, 3-way component set (6.5", 4", and 1" tweeter), 80w RMS
REAR: Focal 100AC 4" 2-way Coax
JL Amp Kit
Factory Integration: JL Fix 82, This sums the factory settings to a flat signal to feed into the VXI amp via an Toslink optical cable

I'll take pics of the Focal speakers once they arrive tomorrow along w the various stages of the installation.

IMG_4926.jpg
Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

awesome, following this

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Planning my build for my Bronco which was supposed to arrive yesterday. Now stuck in limbo :)

Details:
JLDRC-205 control knob (Volume, sub level, and DSP setting to toggle between tuning for doors/roof on and doors/roof off)
Speakers: UP FRONT Focal 165A3, 3-way component set (6.5", 4", and 1" tweeter), 80w RMS
JL Amp Kit
Factory Integration: JL Fix 82, This sums the factory settings to a flat signal to feed into the VXI amp via an Toslink optical cable

I'll take pics of the Focal speakers once they arrive tomorrow along w the various stages of the installation.

Ford Bronco 2 Door, 2.3L, BD Audio Upgrade Build (Thread) IMG_4926
How are you planning to mount the rear speakers? Also, following.

79BKO

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Bronco, 21 Bronco Big Bend SAS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Following!

Sponsored

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Details:
JL Amp Kit

Ford Bronco 2 Door, 2.3L, BD Audio Upgrade Build (Thread) IMG_4926
I've been outta car audio for so long.. Jeez
So you say volume control... Is this just pre-amp volume (gain) and you still have volume control from the head unit?
And I assume the 6.5"s will fit in the kickers? 1" tweeters going into the A-pillars I assume? And do the Focal's come with a 3 way x-over?
Are the rear channel speakers just gonna be powered by the head unit then....?
And finally.... What are we looking at $$$ for this setup? 👍🏻

OP
OP

11clayton

Black Diamond
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've been outta car audio for so long.. Jeez
So you say volume control... Is this just pre-amp volume (gain) and you still have volume control from the head unit?
And I assume the 6.5"s will fit in the kickers? 1" tweeters going into the A-pillars I assume? And do the Focal's come with a 3 way x-over?
Are the rear channel speakers just gonna be powered by the head unit then....?
And finally.... What are we looking at $$$ for this setup? 👍🏻
Yes, it's similar to a gain control. The 6.5"'s will be in the kick panels and I'm planning on fabricating some pods to hold the 3" mid-bass drivers and the 1" tweeters. The Focal's have a 3-way crossover which allows me to power the front and rear channels with a 5 channel amp. Overall costs are approx $1K for amp, $400 for sub, $500 for Focal 3-ways, $200 for Focal 4" coaxes , $400 for Fix 82, $150 for amp kit.

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Inside the pods that hold the factory 4" speakers
Alrighty, I was hoping you might have come up with an alternative since the biggest complaint is the location of the pods. But I guess there really aren't many options for alternatives.

Sponsored
OP
OP

11clayton

Black Diamond
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Alrighty, I was hoping you might have come up with an alternative since the biggest complaint is the location of the pods. But I guess there really aren't many options for alternatives.
I agree that it's a bit odd of placement, but I guess because the designers didn't want the cross bar in center of the vehicle like a Wrangler there was nothing else they could do. I don't think the Soundbar aftermarket offering by JBL will be such a wise choice...just my preference...due to it limiting visibility to the rear.

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree that it's a bit odd of placement, but I guess because the designers didn't want the cross bar in center of the vehicle like a Wrangler there was nothing else they could do. I don't think the Soundbar aftermarket offering by JBL will be such a wise choice...just my preference...due to it limiting visibility to the rear.
Makes sense. I was testing out the sound system in a mannequin and it just seemed... lacking. The front facing pods just seem too far away and I couldn't balance it out without it sounding like it was at a -10 or -20 fade. Just came through a little weak.

I'm thinking a custom three way box might be in order, but I lack the technical savvy to craft one.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A few questions...

If one wanted to avoid fabrication it would be OK to do your exact setup but with just 6 coax speakers e.g. 2 pairs C2-400X and single pair of C2-600X? Or would a 6-channel amp then be required?

I'm in HBG every couple of months, up for a meet / listening session perhaps? Can bring one of my BMWs w/ fully upgraded audio. Alternatively if you're in Philly ever that works too.
Sponsored