Sponsored

2 Door, 2.3L, BD Audio Upgrade Build (Thread)

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Watching
Sponsored

OP
OP

11clayton

Black Diamond
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A few questions...

If one wanted to avoid fabrication it would be OK to do your exact setup but with just 6 coax speakers e.g. 2 pairs C2-400X and single pair of C2-600X? Or would a 6-channel amp then be required?

I'm in HBG every couple of months, up for a meet / listening session perhaps? Can bring one of my BMWs w/ fully upgraded audio. Alternatively if you're in Philly ever that works too.
Hey! In my last car I was running this same 5 channel amp and had JL C2650s in all four doors and the sub in the rear. It sounded great. For the Bronco I wanted to see what it's like having a dedicated mid-bass speaker since the acoustical environment is a lot different than my little Audi A3 hatch that I just sold. If you did all Coaxes in each of the factory locations in the Bronco you could have the rears play off of the head unit power and still use just a 5 channel amp which would power the 2 x 6.5"'s in the footwells and the 2 x 4" coaxes in the dash.

I'll let you know once I get everything done and I'd always be up for meeting up w fellow bronco owners/owners to be.

OP
OP

11clayton

Black Diamond
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
awesome, following this
Thx!
Makes sense. I was testing out the sound system in a mannequin and it just seemed... lacking. The front facing pods just seem too far away and I couldn't balance it out without it sounding like it was at a -10 or -20 fade. Just came through a little weak.

I'm thinking a custom three way box might be in order, but I lack the technical savvy to craft one.
You may be able to find templates online or already made items on eBay. I saw a bunch of stuff that would work for a 3" speaker and 1" tweeter on eBay, although always buyer beware when going that route vs trying to fabricate yourself or going to a trusted shop. I watch a ton of YouTube videos about car audio...check out Five Star Car Stereo, Car Audio Fabrication, and Matt Schaeffer....his stuff is UNREAL, like the top of the top type builds.

OP
OP

11clayton

Black Diamond
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've purchased my various build items from:

Crutchfield.com Good Selection, good prices, instant shipping
Abt.com They had items that crutch field did not, specifically the Focal speakers and Fix 82
Sonicelectronix.com Good selection and pricing, instant shipping

Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If youā€™re doing a build... to share with forum members as kind of a how to thing, and need a couple pieces made of metal that you can make drawings of... let me know. Iā€™ll make and send them to ya for free... as long as they arenā€™t overly complicated. @Cappy

OP
OP

11clayton

Black Diamond
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've purchased my various build items from:

Crutchfield.com Good Selection, good prices, instant shipping
Abt.com They had items that crutch field did not, specifically the Focal speakers and Fix 82
Sonicelectronix.com Good selection and pricing, instant shipping
Also, there are some handy apps out there for iOS and Android to measure things like decibel levels (say, to see how much louder your Bronco is w roof off at various speeds), Real Time Analyzers (RTA) to measure the frequency responses of your stock speakers vs anything you replace them with, etc.

AudioTools: Sound Pressure Level (Decibels), RTA, FFT, Speaker testing for polarity/phase
MobileTools by Audio Control

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If youā€™re doing a build... to share with forum members as kind of a how to thing, and need a couple pieces made of metal that you can make drawings of... let me know. Iā€™ll make and send them to ya for free... as long as they arenā€™t overly complicated. @Cappy
Thanks for the offer! I'm still waiting to see if my Bronco actually manifests too. I have a HunniDo list for the Bronco with about 16 items on it so far. All of which hinge on having the vehicle on hand.

I certainly keep you in mind, though. And I'm bookmarking that post. :D

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'll let you know once I get everything done and I'd always be up for meeting up w fellow bronco owners/owners to be.
Awesome. I'm likely fine doing 95% of this install myself but may have a few things crop up along the way... fair warning I may show up with a few wiring connections that require attention ;)

My current setup I used Bavsound speakers throughout (BMW-specific plug and play) along with an Audiotech Fischer amp (again BMW direct swap), custom harness to plug that in but keep factory amp installed as well to maintain CAN BUS connection. Then I've got JL amps and Focal subs in the trunk with all associated remotes hardwired to armrest.

All that is to say I basically know what I am doing but it's very BMW-focused.

OP
OP

11clayton

Black Diamond
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Awesome. I'm likely fine doing 95% of this install myself but may have a few things crop up along the way... fair warning I may show up with a few wiring connections that require attention ;)

My current setup I used Bavsound speakers throughout (BMW-specific plug and play) along with an Audiotech Fischer amp (again BMW direct swap), custom harness to plug that in but keep factory amp installed as well to maintain CAN BUS connection. Then I've got JL amps and Focal subs in the trunk with all associated remotes hardwired to armrest.

All that is to say I basically know what I am doing but it's very BMW-focused.
Awesome stuff!

Sponsored

airstreamin

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250, ā€˜21 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looking good. Following
Hey! In my last car I was running this same 5 channel amp and had JL C2650s in all four doors and the sub in the rear. It sounded great. For the Bronco I wanted to see what it's like having a dedicated mid-bass speaker since the acoustical environment is a lot different than my little Audi A3 hatch that I just sold. If you did all Coaxes in each of the factory locations in the Bronco you could have the rears play off of the head unit power and still use just a 5 channel amp which would power the 2 x 6.5"'s in the footwells and the 2 x 4" coaxes in the dash.

I was looking for three way speakers, so will check out the focals. With the VXI amp you chose, you could also dedicate two channels to the mid base speakers and utilize the time delays in the TuN software and then run two channels to the passive crossovers. Something to consider since youā€™re paying a premium for a DSP integrated amplifier. Iā€™m running a 1000 vxi in my F250 power the front stage and sub.

OP
OP

11clayton

Black Diamond
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looking good. Following

I was looking for three way speakers, so will check out the focals. With the VXI amp you chose, you could also dedicate two channels to the mid base speakers and utilize the time delays in the TuN software and then run two channels to the passive crossovers. Something to consider since youā€™re paying a premium for a DSP integrated amplifier. Iā€™m running a 1000 vxi in my F250 power the front stage and sub.
I'm definitely considering that....rear fill speakers are exactly that...rear fill. Making the front stage truly sing via proper tune/time alignment and the control that a DSP gives you to do that via dedicated channels could make quite a difference. The options!!! How do you like the 1000 vxi? What are they powering up front?

airstreamin

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250, ā€˜21 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm definitely considering that....rear fill speakers are exactly that...rear fill. Making the front stage truly sing via proper tune/time alignment and the control that a DSP gives you to do that via dedicated channels could make quite a difference. The options!!! How do you like the 1000 vxi? What are they powering up front?
I have audio frog tweeters and 6x9s mid bass in the doors. They can take the 100 watts per channel easily and then Iā€™m running a JL audio stealth box. The rear doors powered by factory amp.

OP
OP

11clayton

Black Diamond
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
UPDATE: Called Ford order customer service # today and got my first "update" from calling daily since 8/2....they said that shipping is now "in discussion" from what they can see on their end. They confirmed this was a change from what they can see. That's all I got for now :)

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Following
Sponsored