First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's correct. The only accessory top Ford offers is the Best Top. You currently can not purchase the Factory soft top unless it came on your Bronco to begin with, that's what I was referring too. The factory Soft Top made by Ford seems much easier to switch between it and the hard top.
It's the only soft top for the 2 door right now, do we know if dual top get's you a different soft top for 2 door?
Sponsored

Trilifter7

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2022 Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's the only soft top for the 2 door right now, do we know if dual top get's you a different soft top for 2 door?
I have the 4 door so I'm looking for the Factory one. I don't believe I've seen any other options for the 2 door other than the Best Top

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just do not like that it does not fold all the way down.
Kind of a deal breaker for me.

I do like the way it looks fully on.
Same. To long to install, too long to uninstall, doesn't fold back all the way, and doesn't come in the tan colors. We need a Trek Top Ultra in brown or tan.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Instructions say its takes 4hrs to complete the install. Definitely took me more than 4hrs to do it and Im mechanically inclined and had everything I needed within an arms reach in my garage.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same. To long to install, too long to uninstall, doesn't fold back all the way, and doesn't come in the tan colors. We need a Trek Top Ultra in brown or tan.
Yeah I think it’s more like a permanent soft top. You have to be willing to never use your hard top again.

milnicks

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just completed this installation over the weekend. I was watching March Madness intermittently, but would estimate my actual install time (including Hard Top removal and unboxing) around 6-7 hours as I was meticulously watching the install video and referencing the printed guide before making each move.

Ford Bronco 2 door and 4 door Bestop Trektop installation videos Trekto

Very pleased with the end result, but it is definitely a beast of an install. There are 4 total bolt types (T30, T40, TP30, TP40) and switching between tools for all those was one of the more annoying aspects.

I intend to switch back to the Hard Top seasonally, and had that in mind during the install to determine what can be carved out of subsequent conversions to trim the time commitment.

The film and gasket components that are attached to the rear of the truck should be good to leave on, and my hope/plan is to leave the top deck assembly as together as possible during removal (which will cut back on a fair bit of assembly). That said, there are still a LOT of pieces to remove before getting this thing Hard-Top ready. Below is a list I threw together of what I think will have to come off:

PartVehicle SideBolts
Front Door RailDriver2
Front Door RailPassenger2
Main Pivot BracketDriver2
Main Pivot BracketPassenger2
Upper Rear Door RailDriver4
Upper Rear Door RailPassenger4
Retainer, Quarter WindowDriver2
Retainer, Quarter WindowPassenger2
Vertical Window RetainerDriver3
Vertical Window RetainerPassenger3
Belt RetainerDriver3
Belt RetainerPassenger3
Tailgate Bar RetainerDriver3
Tailgate Bar RetainerPassenger3
Top Deck Assembly - Rear Halo BracketDriver1
Top Deck Assembly - Rear Halo BracketPassenger1
Top Deck Assembly - #3 BowN/A4
Top Deck Assembly - Other Bow AttachmentsN/A4
Estimated Total - Bolts (for reinstall)48
Estimated Total - Components (for reinstall)19

So yeah, 48 bolts and 19 pieces (brackets, rails, window panels) are going off or coming on for each swap. Something to keep in mind for those of you looking for convenience!

Last edited:

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Installed my Bestop over the weekend. Watched the video posted on Friday and it was definitely helpful. Some useful hints and tips contained and its somewhat easier to see than read the instructions.

Here's my take...

Instructions say difficulty level is a 3 out of 4 and I think that is accurate. Nothing overly difficult, but attention to detail is key.

Time to install is an interesting subject. The instructions that came in the box (4-door) says 90 minutes. If you download instructions from the website for the 2 door it says 90 minutes. If you download the instructions from the website for the 4 door it says 4 hours. I was probably in the neighborhood of 6 hours, but I had a lot of start and stop because I was cooking ribs on the smoker at the same time. I would say a 4-5 hour time is accurate.

Some helpful hints...

I would recommend laying out all the parts ahead of time and do an inventory. I did this for two reasons. 1)I didn't want to start and get to a point of no return and be missing something. 2) It helped familiarize myself with all the pieces which helped.

I went through all of my socket sets and didn't have all the torx bits needed (25/30/40/50). All I had was a 25 and for the life of me I can't even remember using it. Went to Lowes and was able to get a 30/40 but they were out of the 50s. Was about to table it for another day and then I went through the Bronco tool kit and sure enough there were all the correct sizes.

There are instructions in the packet on certain steps that vary whether you have a hard top or a soft top from the factory. If you have the hardtop prep kit from the factory, with the exception of removing the brackets for the soft top, you need to follow the hardtop instructions. I probably lost ten minutes confused because the instructions made no sense on one of the steps until I figured it out.

When I got it all done, I had trouble getting the three rear panels to fit. I was able to finally fix it by loosening the retention plates for the side windows mounted behind the passenger door. Once I got those in the right place, the three rear panels fit together nicely.

Do I think its worth it?

Yes, I do. It looks much better than the factory soft top and I've gotten several compliments stating as much. As far as it not folding all the way back, I've driven around and from inside the vehicle you don't notice a difference an the rear view is better so I think its a plus. I also like the fact that the corners rear corners are attached to the side windows and not the rear window, as this makes onboard storage of the panels more practical.

I don't have the hard top so I can't tell exactly what it would take to flip back and forth, but I would guess 90 minutes to 2 hours.

Ford Bronco 2 door and 4 door Bestop Trektop installation videos 1647882956841

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been watching for any options on soft-tops like this - from the beginning I had hoped that it would be like their Ultra top and fold down all the way, so I was very disappointed (and convinced that it will come out soon, now that I have gone ahead and ordered this one...)

But, like @Koz44 noted, I think the reality is that I would not put the top all the way down. My dogs love looking around out the back and that would kill the view for them, and likely the visibility for me. I have the MIC top, and I intend (at least for now) to swap seasonally - though after watching the video and looking at the item count that @milnicks did I may regret this...

I too will be a lot more careful about placing the 'sticky goods' on my Bronco than was done in the video, but I do understand it was for 'illustration purposes only' and appreciate that they made it. I would like to see @Bestop_Team do a video on the removal to the point where you store it and can replace your MIC top. It looks like removing the top as a unit (once it is assembled) is not all that difficult, but getting all the attachment pieces off will be a chore, and a checklist will be needed to know what comes off, and what bolts go back. I may hit the ones that get removed with a dab of paint in the bit area to make it easy to tell, leaving the factory bolts that get returned "normal".

With the current backorder I expect to get mine some time in April, and will post my thoughts on the install as well. I am probably going to spring for the Gearshade after seeing the disappointing reviews on the Bestop Bimini - but one thing at a time for now. I just hope it is really easy to open the back window - I do a lot of cycling and keep my road bike in there and need more clearance than the factory soft top would have given for opening.

Sponsored

milnicks

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been watching for any options on soft-tops like this - from the beginning I had hoped that it would be like their Ultra top and fold down all the way, so I was very disappointed (and convinced that it will come out soon, now that I have gone ahead and ordered this one...)
I had similar concerns about a better option coming out prior to jumping for this one, and was definitely second guessing myself during install. But I will say - once on, the top looks fantastic. It was 70 degrees in KY yesterday, and I put the top back 3 different times throughout the day. With my MIC top, I would have likely only taken the panels out and enjoyed open air on one of those trips. I havent taken it on the interstate yet with the top open, but on local and highway roads (55mph) havent had any issues with noise/flappyness like I expected.

I am probably going to spring for the Gearshade after seeing the disappointing reviews on the Bestop Bimini
I put the Bestop Bimini in as I installed the Trektop. I think I am going to remove it for now; it is nice to have the shade, but I do feel like it reduces the magic of having pure open air. I will probably change my mind in the middle of the summer when I start getting roasted by the sun.

I just hope it is really easy to open the back window - I do a lot of cycling and keep my road bike in there and need more clearance than the factory soft top would have given for opening.
I can corroborate the point made by @Kos that it was a big challenge to connect the three panels in the back. I found the side panels a difficult to feed into the channel, and it was a struggle to get them to snap in at the corners. The biggest challenge was getting the rear window to connect to the side panels - I am very hopeful this loosens up a bit over time, because I had to phone a friend to help me wrestle it together. I'm going to give it a couple more days to see if it gets any easier; if not, I may need to make adjustments to my install to help them marry up better.

mark2215

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bringing this one back since it's almost that time of year to switch back to hard top. Has anyone done this yet?
Sponsored