Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My wife and I recently went on a long road trip over the holidays in our 2-door Base. We covered over 3,500 miles total (California to Missouri and back, with some wandering). We made a video for our YouTube channel to record our thoughts on the 2-Door Base's suitability for long road trips:

For those who don't want to watch, the major take-away is that the Bronco was a fun, comfortable road-tripper. Long days in the saddle without much driver fatigue. Fuel mileage not so good, and ECO mode sucks for highway. Really cool being able to take a side-trip to Hot Springs ORV for a few hours of dirt to take a break form all that pavement. More details in the clip.
Sponsored

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds awesome! Most of my “long” trips are gonna be within FL. Planning a trip to key west and back shortly - good to know it’s a great highway truck. The smooth ride is incredible. I’m averaging 18.6 mpg over the first 1000 miles.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good to know. I've been wondering how the road trip comfort compares to an F150. Went on a road trip with my pops in his Diesel F150 and it got crazy gas mileage and felt really luxurious (king ranch with nice leather).

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ll have to watch this when I get home today. Planning on a 7000+km road trip to the Yukon and back through Banff and Jasper in the summer with my 2 door

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sounds awesome! Most of my “long” trips are gonna be within FL. Planning a trip to key west and back shortly - good to know it’s a great highway truck. The smooth ride is incredible. I’m averaging 18.6 mpg over the first 1000 miles.
Our average was probably right around that range. With the 35's and no speedo recalibration, the average on the dash isn't accurate. For the first few days of our trip I calculated MPG based on actual gallons used and miles traveled (via GPS, not the trip-meter) and it varied quite a bit depending on how hilly the road was and whether I was driving or my lead-footed wife LOL. Worst we got was around 12.5, during a moderately hilly stretch with her driving, and testing "not so" ECO mode.

Good to know. I've been wondering how the road trip comfort compares to an F150. Went on a road trip with my pops in his Diesel F150 and it got crazy gas mileage and felt really luxurious (king ranch with nice leather).
I'm guessing a modern F150 would ride even nicer than the Bronco, especially if there's a bit of a load in the back to pre-load the rear suspension a little bit. I'm sure the F150 is quieter inside. But I doubt the seats are any more comfortable.

I’ll have to watch this when I get home today. Planning on a 7000+km road trip to the Yukon and back through Banff and Jasper in the summer with my 2 door
Now that sounds like an awesome trip!

Sponsored

SPK4102

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
If I only had my base model to do a road trip!:) I just ordered it so it’s gonna be a while.

Guess you cannot expect great gas mileage with those 35’s but it sure does look good!

Enjoyed the video, thanks!!

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If I only had my base model to do a road trip!:) I just ordered it so it’s gonna be a while.

Guess you cannot expect great gas mileage with those 35’s but it sure does look good!

Enjoyed the video, thanks!!
Thanks! What's funny is I remember when MPG's in the high teens were unheard of, only "compact cars" got that good of mileage. Of course gas was a buck and a half a gallon back then. We thought nothing about hopping into these massive land yachts at 8 MPG for a long trip with an acre of seat to stretch out on LOL.
Sponsored