2-Door Bronco Previewed to Dealers with Retro Styling, Removable Top and Doors

1. blksn8k

blksn8k Member

Vehicle(s):
    1975 Bronco 393W/NV3550, 2007 Sport Trac, 1970 Mach 1
    Didn't Ford trademark the name "Timberline" about a year ago? Could that be the new off-road brand name? Or is that just another trim level?

2. Wanted33

Wanted33 Active Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 F-150 Platinum, 2006 Mustang GT Coupe
    #17 Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Well boys and girls, this is enough to keep me hooked for awhile longer. :)

loubif likes this.
  3. bucking_bronco

bucking_bronco New Member

First Name:
    Buck
    Vehicle(s):
    91 Bronco
    My excitement builds more and more as the information on these trickle in!

loubif likes this.
  4. Bronco II

Bronco II Member

First Name:
    Doc
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang Ecoboost convertible 50 Year Appearance Package
    That great news a 2 door Bronco can't wait to see it

loubif likes this.
  5. BroncoRevital

BroncoRevital Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
    This is all very reassuring news. Two big concerns being addressed with the removable top and having a two and four door model being confirmed.

The removable doors is a big bonus I wasn't expecting. That to me really shows they are going for a true off-road focused Bronco and taking on Jeep seriously.

The small truck coming along with it is interesting and I think a good idea. Though I don't really get how they are putting the baby Bronco and this truck in an actual "off-road" package with it being a unibody, but sure why not. I see this small truck being a new updated Courier. If they can make it with some off-road features then even better.

So exciting. I can't wait to see this retro styled Bronco. Sounds like they got it right. I hope it looks as good as this sites model.
    My only concern I have now is the front end suspension...

6. Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    VW Passat, formerly fullsize '84 Bronco
    The removable top and doors does make it highly plausible that they're targeting the Wrangler, but like you've said about the suspension, if the driveline hardware doesn't compete with the Wrangler as well, then I would have to wonder if they're just aiming to make the Bronco a "lifestyle" competitor. All show and no off road substance, competing for the mall crawler segment of the market?

The two unibody vehicles being lumped into a family of "off roaders" along with the Bronco makes this even more plausible. While unibody doesn't completely prevent something from being off-road capable, I don't exactly see them putting solid axles under some compact cars and replicating an XJ Cherokee style vehicle.

For example, while the Falcon ute might have had a solid axle in previous generations, current ones are fully independent. Fine for toting small cargo loads around on city streets, but hardly an off road vehicle by most standards.

Falcon UTE.jpg

BroncoRevital likes this.
  7. BroncoRevital

Vehicle(s):
    #22 Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019

Your argument for this, being the unibody sub vehicles, is my argument for the Bronco not being a grocery getter and lifestyle vehicle. As the Baby Bronco and this new compact truck should be Ford’s carriers for this. Having the off-road “lifestyle” seems to be what these vehicles are going to be designed for. Leaving the actual Bronco to be the real off-roader reference or banner vehicle if you will.

I definitely share your skepticism though. Not knowing the actual driveline and suspension should leave us feeling this way. I’m not convinced they are going for a direct Wrangler competitor. They really can’t without a solid front axle. Maybe they just want to compete with Jeep in general.

However, if they are trying something new with an IFS then you would hope they would have learned from their mistakes with the Twin Traction Beams.
    If they are going with an IFS then they are going for a 4Runner/FJ Cruiser type competitor/vehicle. Removable doors seems a little overkill for something like that.
    Now if they want to do this right and be congruent with what they are saying and seem to be showing then a solid front axle seems the only logical choice and the only way for the Bronco to truly be a banner vehicle for this group of “off-road lifestyle” vehicles and be competitive with Jeep.

The Bronco has to be legit. Meaning fully capable off-road for these other smaller vehicles to be even looked at or taken serious at all.

8. blksn8k

blksn8k Member

Vehicle(s):
    I think some, no - a lot of this depends on Ford's sales volume targets. Sure, a solid front axle might ensure there would be a significant number of sales to hard-core off-roaders and some of those might even be at the expense of FCA (Jeep) but is that the number Ford is targeting? Just like any other company they are in business to make a profit.

There are a lot of other potential factors at play here as well. Because of the fact that the Bronco will be sharing it's platform with the Ranger there may not be as great a need for high sales volumes of the Bronco. That could also affect the next gen Ranger. Let's say the Bronco does get a solid front axle. That could be shared with the Ranger Raptor which rumor says we (North America) will get in the next gen. Again, more sharing of parts makes them more affordable and easier for Ford to justify.

9. 93_SVT_3503

93_SVT_3503 New Member

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle(s):
    Ford Excursion, 1967 Bronco Halfcab, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 1967F250 Hiboy
    If i remember correctly, sometime last year Ford grabbed up the rights to the Courier nameplate again. Pretty sure that is another variant in the works.

10. blksn8k

blksn8k Member

Vehicle(s):
    Ford hasn't built any vehicles, including Falcons, in Australia since Oct 2016.

11. Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    VW Passat, formerly fullsize '84 Bronco
    They did stop building Falcons. That hasn't stopped them from selling vehicles down under though -- they're just built in Thailand / Malaysia / whatever. The development team in Australia has/does play a big part in Ranger design also.

12. 007-FJC

007-FJC Member

First Name:
    Mo
    Vehicle(s):
    Toyota FJ Cruiser, Toyota 4Runner, Lexus LS, Peterbilt, V8 Cressida
    Whether it has IFS or SFA, it'll do great offroad. 4Runners, Tacos and FJs are very popular offroad and do extremely well right out of the box with IFS/SRA combo and you guys seem to forget that. The wrangler with its SFA is practically a single purpose vehicle. It does great over massive axle crossing obstacles but driving it from the driveway to those obstacles is a chore. Im not sure why everyone is quick to writing off the Bronco if it has IFS. The Raptor is awesome with its IFS. Bronco will be the fun and rugged 4x4 for those who want a better quality built rig than what Fiat offers. There's plenty of Ford fans that don't want a Jeep or Toyota but they want their offroadability coming out of the blue ovals plant. As long as it has a solid rear axle, it'll be great.

JAG and phillyfx4 like this.
  13. BroncoMike

BroncoMike Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
    They sure sell a lot of those trucks that are a "chore" to drive. And with as many as I see at the mall, commuting, and on vacations far from their home zip code, it appears their "single purpose" is whatever the driver wants to do with them.

Have you driven a JL? Do we think Ford can't do a solid axle as well as Jeep? Jeep manages to sell every unit they assemble, and they don't apologize for handling or ride quality.

I won't shed a single tear if the Bronco winds up with IFS (I'll mostly just chuckle and move on)... but that will be the litmus test of who Ford wants to sell to.

14. BroncoRevital

Vehicle(s):

I don't think many people are discrediting the Bronco as an off-road capable vehicle if it is IFS. Just putting it in a different category as a competitor to the Wrangler. Toyota's do very well with IFS and the ride quality is indeed better. It's definitely not a deal breaker for me if the Bronco is IFS. However, there is no real debate that a straight axle is more ideal for this off-road intended Bronco. The Raptor is intended for higher speeds off-road and an IFS is more ideal for the F-150 and Ranger Raptor but for a Bronco that is more built for trails would benefit better with a solid axle.

Again, still not a deal breaker. A full size Bronco that has the TTB is already a pretty damn bumpy ride so if we can get a Bronco that's smoother on the road I'm for that but just not at the expense of it being more fragile and less capable. IFS can be very capable but if Ford is truly serious and wants the Bronco to be taken as a truly serious off-road trail SUV then it should come with solid axles.

Stampede.Offroad likes this.
  15. Husker

Husker Member

Vehicle(s):
    Ford
    If it's Solid Axel equipped...Then I'm Out. I'm representative of prospective buyers that will Rarely if Ever go Off-Roading...I want it for the looks/styling/masculinity/cool-factor + creature comforts combined with a comfortable ride while driving it as a DD.

People on these type of Forums are NOT the majority of Buyer$ or Pro$pective $hopper$!

Chance it comes Solid...IMO, & My Two Friends:

56-15-1-20-11-51-57m.jpg