2-Door Bronco Previewed to Dealers with Retro Styling, Removable Top and Doors

JAG

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Need someone in Detroit to get a better belly shot of those ugly Mules scooting around.

mikonrad

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fiesta SFE, 1979 Ford F-150, 2002 Yamaha RS Warrior
Awesome - a slide show of recycled unofficial renderguesses, complete with synthetic voice repeating numerous previously known mundane details, rumors, and undocumented/unsubstantiated speculation.
Yeah, there's a lot of that, but I admit it feels good every time it gets retold. :)

I would also be curious about the source of the solid axle as I believe the video did mention that came from that dealer meeting and who knows what could have been shared there that just isn't official at this point. The closest I've heard about the front susp is a 4/2018 Motor Trend article apparently paraphrasing Jim Farley at Ford *hinting* that the Bronco would take on a "desert runner" approach as oppose to taking on the Wrangler "head on". Not sure really what that means at this point but the IFS seems to be relevant here. Here's the article:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ford-bronco-what-to-expect-reborn-off-roader/

As for the manual, this all falls back to that Jalopnik article from October. Interesting, and kinda wild research - digging through LinkedIn profiles. But I am hopeful - Ford has been more aggressive already than I thought they would be with the removable doors and roof. But we really have no idea at this point. Not gonna lie tho, I'm happy with either an IFS or solid axle - the manual is what would make it for me. I mean, a seven speed - aka a six speed with a 1-low? Shut-up and take my money, I didn't want it anyway.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ford-bronco-could-get-a-7-speed-manual-transmi-1829563048?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=jalopnik_copy&utm_campaign=top

Last edited:
Reactions: JAG

JAG

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Yeah, there's a lot of that, but I admit it feels good every time it gets retold. :)

I would also be curious about the source of the solid axle as I believe the video did mention that came from that dealer meeting and who knows what could have been shared there that just isn't official at this point. The closest I've heard about the front susp is a 4/2018 Motor Trend article apparently paraphrasing Jim Farley at Ford *hinting* that the Bronco would take on a "desert runner" approach as oppose to taking on the Wrangler "head on". Not sure really what that means at this point but the IFS seems to be relevant here. Here's the article:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ford-bronco-what-to-expect-reborn-off-roader/

As for the manual, this all falls back to that Jalopnik article from October. Interesting, and kinda wild research - digging through LinkedIn profiles. But I am hopeful - Ford has been more aggressive already than I thought they would be with the removable doors and roof. But we really have no idea at this point. Not gonna lie tho, I'm happy with either an IFS or solid axle - the manual is what would make it for me. I mean, a seven speed - aka a six speed with a 1-low? Shut-up and take my money, I didn't want it anyway.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ford-bronco-could-get-a-7-speed-manual-transmi-1829563048?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=jalopnik_copy&utm_campaign=top
Right?!

You had me at 7 speed manual, now there’s going to be removable doors and a soft retractable roof.

I don’t/won’t care if they’re extra.

Me at the dealership:

“FUN OPTIONS!”
giphy.gif

BroncoMike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
The Motortrend article paraphrases Farley, not directly quoting him and turning it to their own interpretation. "With the Jeep Wrangler all but owning the rock-climbing scene, Ford head of global markets Jim Farley hinted that the Bronco would follow the Raptor's desert-runner path rather than taking Jeep head-on." I'm always suspicious of those who won't post their sources or give a direct quote; it generally means they either don't trust you with the truth, or in some way benefit from you swallowing their interpretation without question. We have an epidemic of lazy and incompetent media sourcing each other's incorrect (at best) information today, people should strive to ascertain facts.

Here is an actual quote from Farley, the one that I believe Motortrend is paraphrasing, from a Ford press conference on March 15, 2018:

"For Jeep, it’s all about rock crawling in Moab, but our premise is completely different," "We want to give people true off-road vehicles that are comfortable at higher speeds, on two-track trails and do well in deep sand on the beach. And they don’t want their SUVs to look like doomsday vehicles or have spartan, government-issued interiors."

https://autoweek.com/article/rumormill/ford-bronco-may-get-new-seven-speed-manual-report-says

Now, take from that what you will, but it doesn't mention desert-runners OR Raptors, images of which could conjoure up a radically different set of renderguesses that will be as inaccurate and uninformed as dozens of them already out there polluting the web. I agree the quoted statement does not lend any support to the solid axle argument, but it allows people to reach their own conclusions rather than place a particular image in your mind.

If there IS a quote from Farley that references desert-runners and Raptors in relation to the new Bronco, I'd love to see it and will happily concede the point.

Last edited:

Stampede.Offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
This one is could be a bit more applicable, although I'm not sure what to take from this caricature of the vehicle. It looks like they may have used the Troller for the drawing. That mirror seems rahter impractically placed (though, to be honest, thats where the side mirrors are on my side by side).

Vehicle door removal and storage
US20180326897A1

"A vehicle includes a hinge assembly rotatably coupling a vehicle door to a frame of the vehicle. A first light assembly is positioned proximate the door and configured to illuminate the hinge assembly. A door retention system having a housing defining a slot is configured to accept the insertion of the vehicle door. A second light assembly is configured to illuminate the slot."

US20180326897A1-20181115-D00000.png
US20180326897A1-20181115-D00002.png
US20180326897A1-20181115-D00006.png

Nickp

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER 4 DOOR MT
This one is could be a bit more applicable, although I'm not sure what to take from this caricature of the vehicle. It looks like they may have used the Troller for the drawing. That mirror seems rahter impractically placed (though, to be honest, thats where the side mirrors are on my side by side).
That looks EXACTLY like a troller, I wouldn’t put any stock into the looks of it from that picture. Just looks a bit too... weird.

BroncoMike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
That looks EXACTLY like a troller, I wouldn’t put any stock into the looks of it from that picture. Just looks a bit too... weird.
For the purposes of patent application and review, the line drawing of the vehicle is of zero relevance.