2-Door Bronco Previewed to Dealers with Retro Styling, Removable Top and Doors

1. OX1

OX1 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 86 Capri 5.0, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
    I worked in a local shop in the early 80's. I got to see plenty of these new or barely used.
    Ford warantee was only 12/12K back then, so when they were not right, they didn't all go back to Ford.

IF you do nothing but drive down perfectly straight smooth roads with the smallest tire (235), then maybe.
    As soon as you load up gear, tow, put plow on or off, as you have shown, you get severe toe changes that tears
    up tires.

I agree, many issues on older lifted trucks were worn parts. But stock TTB's wear parts faster than SA, RA, as the entire
    geometry is constantly working against itself. Tie rods not correct arc vs traction beams, Radius arms too short (much shorter
    than stock SA rad arm susp), constant camber changes. Even a minor spring settling more on one corner than
    the other, and you have cross caster issues. Most swapped out TTB to get rid of these issues, not to gain
    strength, as most went to a 70's full size D44.

We can agree to disagree, but TTB gets a bad rap for way more than worn parts.

Stop posting up videos of perfectly dry, high traction terrain. Near me, even if it's not totally wet,
    there is still low traction rocks, moss, wet leaves, slippery barkless trees, and mud tracked all over
    everything.

I wheeled recently with some toys and they busted CV's left and right, doing very stuff you show in these videos.
    So some of you had said they use weak parts. So lets see some vids of IFS (even beefed up stock configurations)
    GETTIN it. It is pretty easy for many backyards to mounts and swap/upgrade a solid axle. Not so much if you
    have to fab control arms that hold ball joints and bushings.

2. phillyfx4

phillyfx4 Active Member

FWIW..... on youtube this morning - solid axles front and rear and other info i.e. powered by an ecoboost engine, 7 speed manual etc......

@ the 1:45 mark

3. OX1

OX1 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 86 Capri 5.0, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
    I really don't believe it and will be stunned if it happens.
    Mainly because Ford said it will not compete head to head in
    rock crawling. Maybe they changed their mind.

4. BroncoMike

BroncoMike Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
    Awesome - a slide show of recycled unofficial renderguesses, complete with synthetic voice repeating numerous previously known mundane details, rumors, and undocumented/unsubstantiated speculation.

BONESTOCK, AUcruiser100 and phillyfx4 like this.
  5. phillyfx4

phillyfx4 Active Member

:crackup: I hear you

BroncoMike likes this.
  6. JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 F150
    Need someone in Detroit to get a better belly shot of those ugly Mules scooting around.

7. BroncoMike

Vehicle(s):
    I would like to know where they pulled the info on the solid front axle from, though, to see if that little gem can be substantiated.

8. mikonrad

mikonrad Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2011 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 1979 Ford F-150, 2002 Yamaha RS Warrior
    #68 Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Yeah, there's a lot of that, but I admit it feels good every time it gets retold. :)

I would also be curious about the source of the solid axle as I believe the video did mention that came from that dealer meeting and who knows what could have been shared there that just isn't official at this point. The closest I've heard about the front susp is a 4/2018 Motor Trend article apparently paraphrasing Jim Farley at Ford *hinting* that the Bronco would take on a "desert runner" approach as oppose to taking on the Wrangler "head on". Not sure really what that means at this point but the IFS seems to be relevant here. Here's the article:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ford-bronco-what-to-expect-reborn-off-roader/

As for the manual, this all falls back to that Jalopnik article from October. Interesting, and kinda wild research - digging through LinkedIn profiles. But I am hopeful - Ford has been more aggressive already than I thought they would be with the removable doors and roof. But we really have no idea at this point. Not gonna lie tho, I'm happy with either an IFS or solid axle - the manual is what would make it for me. I mean, a seven speed - aka a six speed with a 1-low? Shut-up and take my money, I didn't want it anyway.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ford-...ite&utm_source=jalopnik_copy&utm_campaign=top

JAG likes this.
  9. JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 F150
    Right?!

You had me at 7 speed manual, now there’s going to be removable doors and a soft retractable roof.

I don’t/won’t care if they’re extra.

Me at the dealership:

“FUN OPTIONS!”
    giphy.gif

mikonrad likes this.
  10. BroncoMike

Vehicle(s):
    #70 Apr 1, 2019
    The Motortrend article paraphrases Farley, not directly quoting him and turning it to their own interpretation. "With the Jeep Wrangler all but owning the rock-climbing scene, Ford head of global markets Jim Farley hinted that the Bronco would follow the Raptor's desert-runner path rather than taking Jeep head-on." I'm always suspicious of those who won't post their sources or give a direct quote; it generally means they either don't trust you with the truth, or in some way benefit from you swallowing their interpretation without question. We have an epidemic of lazy and incompetent media sourcing each other's incorrect (at best) information today, people should strive to ascertain facts.

Here is an actual quote from Farley, the one that I believe Motortrend is paraphrasing, from a Ford press conference on March 15, 2018:

"For Jeep, it’s all about rock crawling in Moab, but our premise is completely different," "We want to give people true off-road vehicles that are comfortable at higher speeds, on two-track trails and do well in deep sand on the beach. And they don’t want their SUVs to look like doomsday vehicles or have spartan, government-issued interiors."

https://autoweek.com/article/rumormill/ford-bronco-may-get-new-seven-speed-manual-report-says

Now, take from that what you will, but it doesn't mention desert-runners OR Raptors, images of which could conjoure up a radically different set of renderguesses that will be as inaccurate and uninformed as dozens of them already out there polluting the web. I agree the quoted statement does not lend any support to the solid axle argument, but it allows people to reach their own conclusions rather than place a particular image in your mind.

If there IS a quote from Farley that references desert-runners and Raptors in relation to the new Bronco, I'd love to see it and will happily concede the point.

11. NMBronco

NMBronco Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1975 Bronco
    #71 Apr 1, 2019
    I am a finesse kind of guy when it comes to wheeling. The easier you can make an obstacle look the better. Only the uninformed think throttling through everything is the way to do it. They are the ones who are always working on their rigs instead of wheeling them, but to each their own. I have no idea what Marlin has done to that Tacoma, but I don't see any component on that IFS system lasting very long on 40s if it is anywhere near stock and that truck were used on the kind of trails that warrant that kind of gearing and tire size. I get the impression it is more of a show/demonstration rig than a hardcore wheeling rig. That said, it is a good looking rig, but its primary purpose seems to be grabbing attention/advertising for Marlin.

Have you wheeled much with modified JK Rubicons? They are shockingly capable in stock form, and really all they need is a lift and tires to run hard trails. The factory axles hold up well to 37s assuming you aren't jumping your jeep (the axle tubes themselves are a bit on the weak side for how much armored 4 doors weigh). My point is that you can run hard trails with a bone stock Rubicon drive train, which is something which can't be said for any IFS vehicles I know of. Sure, with enough custom fabrication, you can make literally any vehicle into a hardcore wheeling machine, but the less that has to be done, the more viable the rig is for your average wheeler. Most people don't have the fabrication abilities to do a solid axle swap or the money to pay someone else to do it. If the Bronco comes with a solid axle from the factory it will be a much more appealing wheeling platform and much more likely to be embraced by the aftermarket.

For reference, all four of the rigs I posted I've run on hard trails. The 2005 Jeep LJ has a stock drivetrain (4.0L, 42RLE, NP231, Dana 30, Dana 44) save for the lockers and 4.56 axle gears. The 1975 Bronco had the original 3 speed (garbage) swapped out for an NP435 (6.69:1 first gear) to get better gearing and a detroit locker put in the rear. The front axle was bone stock. Both the IFS rigs (The Bronco IIs) had their puny Dana 28s swapped out. The '84 got a Dana 35 from an Explorer and the '85 got a Dana 44 put in. So out of the rigs I've run, the Solid axle ones have remained much closer to stock.

The primary reason I posted the pictures of rigs on extreme trails was to counter your statement that a solid front axle isn't necessary, which I showed, they in fact are. Like I said, I would be more than happy to guide anyone with an IFS rig through those trails simply because I have never even seen them attempted with an IFS rig. IFS can meet the usage demand of many people but it is definitely a compromise on a dedicated trail rig. I believe a solid axle on the street is a much smaller compromise than an IFS on the trail.

This is exactly the point I have discussed with others. People argue that most Wrangler buyers don't really use them offroad or if they do, not to the extent of their capabilities, so why shouldn't manufacturers focus more on how the majority of their customers actually use their rigs? Well my counterpoint is that people buy Wranglers for the fact that they are the baddest production offroader the average person can afford, and they want something they could take on hard trails, even if they never will. It is kind of an image thing, much like all of the people that buy heavy duty diesel trucks to haul maybe a dirt bike or ATV once in a while. Their needs would probably be much better met with a midsize truck, but they buy the heavy duty diesel for the fact that they could haul a triple axle gooseneck loaded down with construction materials if they wanted to someday. The same logic goes for sports/muscle cars. How many people actually need 400+ HP? These cars are way too fast and capable to exploit their capabilities on the street, but how many of them actually see a track?

If Ford builds the Bronco as a hardcore trail machine, people will buy it simply because they like the idea of owning something capable and the image associated with it.

Again, you hit the nail on the head. Mustangs were built with solid rear axles all the way up to the most current generation. The 2011-2014 Mustangs were repeatedly lauded for excellent handling, and many reviewers expressed amazement that the solid axle was almost indistinguishable from an independent rear in those respects. The V6 performance package was on Car and Drivers best handling cars list despite its solid axle.

I guess my TTB must have been blessed by Jesus himself then, because otherwise it would be impossible for my TTB to be holding its alignment with my 37" Pitbulls that weigh 104Lb.s each mounted on my aluminum wheels. Not to mention my rig sees harder trails than the vast majority of TTB rigs ever will. Never mind my other TTB rig that has been 100% issue free.

I think it is funny how the '80-'97 twin traction beam (4WD) gets a disproportionately bad reputation despite the twin I-beam (2WD) basically having the same geometry and wear components and still being in production to this day. Any chance their could be a correlation with improperly modified (lifted) TTB suspensions and the likelihood that 4wd trucks get abused (i.e. worn out) more?

Stampede.Offroad likes this.
  12. JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 F150
  13. Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    VW Passat, formerly fullsize '84 Bronco
    JAG likes this.
  14. Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    VW Passat, formerly fullsize '84 Bronco
    This one is could be a bit more applicable, although I'm not sure what to take from this caricature of the vehicle. It looks like they may have used the Troller for the drawing. That mirror seems rahter impractically placed (though, to be honest, thats where the side mirrors are on my side by side).

Vehicle door removal and storage
    US20180326897A1

"A vehicle includes a hinge assembly rotatably coupling a vehicle door to a frame of the vehicle. A first light assembly is positioned proximate the door and configured to illuminate the hinge assembly. A door retention system having a housing defining a slot is configured to accept the insertion of the vehicle door. A second light assembly is configured to illuminate the slot."

US20180326897A1-20181115-D00000.png US20180326897A1-20181115-D00002.png US20180326897A1-20181115-D00006.png

15. Nickp

Nickp Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle(s):
    Mazda 3
    That looks EXACTLY like a troller, I wouldn’t put any stock into the looks of it from that picture. Just looks a bit too... weird.