First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Project took about an hour and cost me maybe $30 in materials. Ive seen some attach a 2x4 board to the rear straps then rest the hardtop on the board, But is there a reason NOT not just hook the top from the bottom with the hooks attached to the cam straps (like I did)?I did not find any FMC specific documentation/warnings about this

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg
Sponsored

Shawn of the Dead

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Focus, 4 motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I will be interested in folks replies. This looks quick and easy. Does the top flex at all where the hooks attach ?

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Picture of underside? How did you hoist it.

OP
OP

JT01

Big Bend
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I saw no flexing at all, and this it was super easy to construct and lift. Lowering it will take a second set of hands to be safe (but haven't done yet)...Lower so pins are near holes. Release straps then shift into holes.

I hoisted it by going around to each strap and raising it a bit at a time. Hooks are simpy on bottom edge of hardtop at logical balance points

Last edited:
Reactions: Arc

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would add another set of straps and loop around the bottom of the top and attach them to the same eye bolts. You are currently putting a lot of weight on 4 very small sections of the top, stressing those points. Another strap can relieve that weight and also act as a safety.

Sponsored

STX Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 SuperCrew 22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would add another set of straps and loop around the bottom of the top and attach them to the same eye bolts. You are currently putting a lot of weight on 4 very small sections of the top, stressing those points. Another strap can relieve that weight and also act as a safety.
Agreed. Seems like a pinch point to get it up and how do you bring up all 4 at one to not contort the hell out of the top.

OP
OP

JT01

Big Bend
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Didn't notice any flexing. Top weighs just 80lbs/ or 20 lbs per hook.

Robs

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Project took about an hour and cost me maybe $30 in materials. Ive seen some attach a 2x4 board to the rear straps then rest the hardtop on the board, But is there a reason NOT not just hook the top from the bottom with the hooks attached to the cam straps (like I did)?I did not find any FMC specific documentation/warnings about this

Ford Bronco 2 Door Hardtop lift / storage DIY with just (4) eye hooks and (4) cam straps IMG_0057

Ford Bronco 2 Door Hardtop lift / storage DIY with just (4) eye hooks and (4) cam straps IMG_0057
I liked the idea of using a 2x4 at the bottom in front AND back, and connecting the straps to those, vs connecting to the top itself. this way its more like the way the top sits on the vehicle when installed.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finally someone who understands lifting from the roof rack points in the opposite direction as intended is a bad idea. 🫡

zedster

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco 2 dr Badlands SAS, '22 F150 PowerBoost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is each eye hook in a stud or joist? I have seen other posts where once it is up they put a 2x4 on the bottom with eye hooks to support the roof.
Like the 7-minute mark of this video:

Sponsored

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the vehicle, bolts keep lateral force at bay. I'd worry about the outward force spreading the sides apart.

Last edited:

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is literally my exact setup. Never had an issue. Cost me all of $25. No flex in the hardtop.

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I saw no flexing at all, and this it was super easy to construct and lift. Lowering it will take a second set of hands to be safe (but haven't done yet)...Lower so pins are near holes. Release straps then shift into holes.

I hoisted it by going around to each strap and raising it a bit at a time. Hooks are simpy on bottom edge of hardtop at logical balance points
I lower mine on my own without issue. As long as you align the pins when you park and lower each strap a little at a time, it's easy.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Another “but I’ve never even had this top off” warranty claim in 3….2…1….

but seriously, given the availability and cost of MIC top I’ll just leave it at “you’re playing a dangerous game”.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Finally someone who understands lifting from the roof rack points in the opposite direction as intended is a bad idea. 🫡
I never thought of this before, I often wished ford would design the rear top with a rack that was designed for that though.
Sponsored