Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does anyone know if the clamshell (rear portion) of the 4 Door hardtop is the same size as the clamshell of the 2 Door? And if they are the same size, why is it that the hardtop seems to be a bigger constraint on the 2 Door than the 4 Door? Would seem to me they follow the same manufacturing process. I feel like us 2 Door losers are getting doubly bent over by Ford. If this has already been asked I apologize in advance.
Sponsored

myrealname123

Badlands
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are some good threads with the specs on here, but the short answer is they are not the same size. Believe the 2D rear piece is a few pounds heavier.

OP
OP
Portapot

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks guys! Still seems like the manufacturing process would be similar. Wonder how Ford determines which sizes are made and in what quantity. Seems to me if they can offer a soft top on the 4 door they should make more of the 2 Door hard tops, just a 2 door guy being bitter ;-)

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The take rate on 2-doors is usually really low and Ford expected that foolishly, not thinking it through. First time a classic is re-done like this in years and you would expect a lot of hard core people first in line to choose the 2-door. Then it would taper down to a small percentage. Another factor, that might be a bean counter thing, is the extra $2500 basically for free on the 4-door. It can't really cost $2500 extra for the 4-door so that is pure take home pay for them and incentive to make more of those. Underestimating take rate and a higher profit on 4-doors is bad for the 2-door guys.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Portapot

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The take rate on 2-doors is usually really low and Ford expected that foolishly, not thinking it through. First time a classic is re-done like this in years and you would expect a lot of hard core people first in line to choose the 2-door. Then it would taper down to a small percentage. Another factor, that might be a bean counter thing, is the extra $2500 basically for free on the 4-door. It can't really cost $2500 extra for the 4-door so that is pure take home pay for them and incentive to make more of those. Underestimating take rate and a higher profit on 4-doors is bad for the 2-door guys.
I think it's more about the margin then it is keeping people happy.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The take rate on 2-doors is usually really low and Ford expected that foolishly, not thinking it through... It can't really cost $2500 extra for the 4-door so that is pure take home pay for them and incentive to make more of those. Underestimating take rate and a higher profit on 4-doors is bad for the 2-door guys.
I agree, it's unlikely that the production cost of the 4 door is $2500 more than the 2 door. In the end, the extra money spent on the 4 door meant that I would have been paying a premium for a heavier, slower, less capable off-road Bronco only to get a little extra space for passengers that I would not likely be carrying or for gear that I could trailer if I needed the additional space (my 4'x8' Harbor Freight fold-up trailer was only $400 when I purchased it and would carry up to 1720 lbs).
Sponsored