Sponsored

2 Door Race red Wildtrak build. Custom FAB and CNC machining!

Talon2006

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150l, 91 Eagle Talo n
Your Bronco Model
Base
My name is Shaun and my wife and I live in Houston, Texas. I have drooled over the bronco since they came out. When the wife's car blew up I tried to get her to buy one. Needless to say, there was nothing out there at the time and she got an explorer ST... which is also a lot of fun to drive. Almost a year later, I got a Bronco! It also took me all of 4 hours to cave to the urge to try it out on a little off road in the front yard.
Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! Garage

This little rock pile was all too tempting for me...
Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! Temptation

It also didn't take me long to want to try the ditch. The previous owner told me he tried it in his jeep once, and didn't make it. Needless to say we did! My wife Crystal approves! ( for a second I thought she was gonna bury me)
Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! Ditch

I was having my driveway redone as well.... and needless to say I couldn't resist.
Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! On Mountain

We have our first wheeling trip planned in two weeks, and those stock plastic skids and steps are not going to holdup.... I have a small addiction to metal fab, so I am going to need to fix that. A little back story here, when I was in graduate school I came across a build thread for a CNC plasma table, which would later lead to an obsession. As a kid I played with with RC cars, rebuilt lawn mowers, and anything l could take apart. I always dreamed of being able to make my own parts at home. I downloaded a hobbyist license of Fusion 360 and forced myself to learn how to draw in CAD. I later joined a local makers space that had a CNC plasma table and cut a few of my early designs out. One of them was a bumper for my truck. Needless to say right after graduating grad school I built a small CNC plasma table in my one car garage at my apartment. My wife was not trilled to say the least.

That brings us up to now, and getting the bronco on the lift, in my slightly larger garage.

Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! On lift

Got it up on the lift to start scanning... It hurts me to know I scratched those skids already.

Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! Scan

Got the first scan done and am working diligently on the rest of the skid plates now!
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My name is Shaun and my wife and I live in Houston, Texas. I have drooled over the bronco since they came out. When the wife's car blew up I tried to get her to buy one. Needless to say, there was nothing out there at the time and she got an explorer ST... which is also a lot of fun to drive. Almost a year later, I got a Bronco! It also took me all of 4 hours to cave to the urge to try it out on a little off road in the front yard.

This little rock pile was all too tempting for me...

It also didn't take me long to want to try the ditch. The previous owner told me he tried it in his jeep once, and didn't make it. Needless to say we did! My wife Crystal approves! ( for a second I thought she was gonna bury me)

I was having my driveway redone as well.... and needless to say I couldn't resist.

We have our first wheeling trip planned in two weeks, and those stock plastic skids and steps are not going to holdup.... I have a small addiction to metal fab, so I am going to need to fix that. A little back story here, when I was in graduate school I came across a build thread for a CNC plasma table, which would later lead to an obsession. As a kid I played with with RC cars, rebuilt lawn mowers, and anything l could take apart. I always dreamed of being able to make my own parts at home. I downloaded a hobbyist license of Fusion 360 and forced myself to learn how to draw in CAD. I later joined a local makers space that had a CNC plasma table and cut a few of my early designs out. One of them was a bumper for my truck. Needless to say right after graduating grad school I built a small CNC plasma table in my one car garage at my apartment. My wife was not trilled to say the least.

That brings us up to now, and getting the bronco on the lift, in my slightly larger garage.

Got it up on the lift to start scanning... It hurts me to know I scratched those skids already.

Got the first scan done and am working diligently on the rest of the skid plates now!
Looks good

OP
OP

Talon2006

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150l, 91 Eagle Talo n
Your Bronco Model
Base
Having a nice Saturday morning, planing with the transmission skid. Not entirely sure which way I’m going to go with it yet.

Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! 7B361C59-BDB4-46C1-AA24-2D88D3525677

OP
OP

Talon2006

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150l, 91 Eagle Talo n
Your Bronco Model
Base
I really wanted to write a much longer post going into the details and fab portion of this…. But IMHO this turned out great first shot!

I do need to pull them down and weld it them up!
Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! C21C4E43-FDD5-4CA4-B2F6-7AAE712223B4

WonkyBronky

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wildtrak, '20 Raptor, Porsches, track cars
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks very good. Fitment seems to be spot on.

What thickness did you end up going with, and estimated weight added?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Talon2006

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150l, 91 Eagle Talo n
Your Bronco Model
Base
Quick morning update.
At our breakfast stop. There is my F-150, wife is driving the Bronco and we are pulling my buddies international scout that is on 40’s with a 7.3 power stroke in it.

:p.
Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! EBD21294-3C1C-456D-94F6-43316C3E0592

OP
OP

Talon2006

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150l, 91 Eagle Talo n
Your Bronco Model
Base
I got a little behind on this. Had a ton of Fun at Katcemy Rocks! According to Shaine the only other paper plate bronco out there was bronco buster's!

Skid plates did great! I was pretty happy with how they held up. I am debating if I want to try to recess the bolt heads, or just add rock domes. Each has its pro and con, and I am really leaning towards the rock domes as welding can be a chore.

Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! 1669224944357

Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! 1669224972130

Having this extra brace right at the brake over on the front skid seemed to add a TON of strength. Having a full boxed piece right behind both of those plates really made them solid. Not having rock sliders, and knowing I had my skid under there I took the unorthadox approach of putting all the big rocks under the center of the bronco. Needless to say I hit a lot of stuff under there and didn't have anything get bent up.

Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! 1669225210851

Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! 1669225243226

I did the same thing back here with the transfer case, and made a cross brace to support the transfer case. I always hated how most will cantilever the transfer case between the frame rail and cross member. The extra support seemed to pay off as the plate took several hits. I might redesign my OEM fuel tank skid to tie into this brace as well.

Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! 1669225586524

As far as the transmission plate, I might make it a little wider, but it performed really well. I know a ton of people talk about how the OEM cross member braces will get hung up on everything. With how wide I made the skid did not have an issue. I also didn't beat up the exposed area on the frame rails. I may make my next set a little wider to cover that area up, but I really don't think it will be necessary.

Next step, is going to be working on some rock sliders!

OP
OP

Talon2006

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150l, 91 Eagle Talo n
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s been a while since I have been back here. There are a few videos of me taking this thing through Pritchett Canyon at Moab.

Just gonna drop some photos here of the next upgrade in progress.
Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! E4774A28-C8ED-4044-BADA-17145A3AAA81

Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! 29864D53-E3D8-49CB-816A-229B9217E19C

Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! BAD271D0-67B9-4CE3-8CB1-EB173EAAAEB9

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Cool. You got my attention. This will be interesting.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How much does one of those portals weigh?? curious how much they add to each corner. 😁

Sponsored
OP
OP

Talon2006

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150l, 91 Eagle Talo n
Your Bronco Model
Base
Watching, when you going to post some pictures of your skid?
The 4 Cylinder flat one I said I would do?

Prototype is sitting here in my shop. Hoping to test fit and test them this weekend too.

Ford Bronco 2 Door Race red Wildtrak build.  Custom FAB and CNC machining! 41825F5B-5711-4295-BA64-1DF54895EF0A

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 4 Cylinder flat one I said I would do?

Prototype is sitting here in my shop. Hoping to test fit and test them this weekend too.
Sweet! That looks awesome. I want to see what your skids look like after Pritchard canyon.

Last edited: