Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Even before I finally got my 2 Door Black Diamond back in late November I knew that I was going to be removing the rear seats. I drove from Maine to Utah as I had moved to Utah after placing my order at a Maine dealership. That trip solidified the need to remove the rear seats and build some drawers.

I decided that I wanted the flexibility to be able to put one seat back in, so I designed the drawers to be in two halves, with the driver's side being narrower to allow ample room for the rear passenger seat.
The drawers are not intended to act as a built-in kitchen system but rather simple storage for my gear that is in Pelican cases, as I do not want to be "tethered" to the back of the Bronco when I make camp. The tops of the boxes have tie down rails recessed into them, so that I can secure my water jugs, cooler, and food, and it provides a nice flat surface when I am not on a trip.

The drawers are made from exterior grade baltic birch plywood that I stained black. I put some weather stripping on the underside to keep the plywood from being in direct contact with the Bronco floor. The drawers are secured to the Bronco using the existing seat mounting points.

Ford Bronco 2 Door Rear Seat Delete With Storage Drawers IMG_8736
Ford Bronco 2 Door Rear Seat Delete With Storage Drawers IMG_8764
Ford Bronco 2 Door Rear Seat Delete With Storage Drawers IMG_8781.JPG
Ford Bronco 2 Door Rear Seat Delete With Storage Drawers IMG_8787
Ford Bronco 2 Door Rear Seat Delete With Storage Drawers IMG_8908.JPG

After gluing up the drawers I became aware that the floor is not completely flat and level, but rather slopes to either side. As a result the drawers are tight at the bottom, but have a gap at the top. I attempted to shim to level them, which worked to an extent. However I ended up needing to add a piece of weather stripping at the top between the two to fill the last of the gap.

Ford Bronco 2 Door Rear Seat Delete With Storage Drawers IMG_8960
Ford Bronco 2 Door Rear Seat Delete With Storage Drawers IMG_8971
Ford Bronco 2 Door Rear Seat Delete With Storage Drawers IMG_8965.JPG
Ford Bronco 2 Door Rear Seat Delete With Storage Drawers IMG_8962

My initial design had the top and backs wrap around the cup holder to have a complete top, but I realized that I would not have been able to get them in because of the shape. I will probably put a MOLLE grate there so I can mount some bags or something. I also thought about putting MOLLE grate on the entire back, but will probably end up just mounting my Maglite flashlight and other stuff like that there instead.

Ford Bronco 2 Door Rear Seat Delete With Storage Drawers IMG_8785.JPG

Not that I plan on remaking the entire thing, but I do kinda consider it to be a prototype as there are a number of things I would do differently. I will be taking it on a shakedown cruise next weekend to Moab and will no doubt discover more things I could improve on.
Sponsored

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Very Nice. (y)

mikey_photo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even before I finally got my 2 Door Black Diamond back in late November I knew that I was going to be removing the rear seats. I drove from Maine to Utah as I had moved to Utah after placing my order at a Maine dealership. That trip solidified the need to remove the rear seats and build some drawers.

I decided that I wanted the flexibility to be able to put one seat back in, so I designed the drawers to be in two halves, with the driver's side being narrower to allow ample room for the rear passenger seat.
The drawers are not intended to act as a built-in kitchen system but rather simple storage for my gear that is in Pelican cases, as I do not want to be "tethered" to the back of the Bronco when I make camp. The tops of the boxes have tie down rails recessed into them, so that I can secure my water jugs, cooler, and food, and it provides a nice flat surface when I am not on a trip.

The drawers are made from exterior grade baltic birch plywood that I stained black. I put some weather stripping on the underside to keep the plywood from being in direct contact with the Bronco floor. The drawers are secured to the Bronco using the existing seat mounting points.

After gluing up the drawers I became aware that the floor is not completely flat and level, but rather slopes to either side. As a result the drawers are tight at the bottom, but have a gap at the top. I attempted to shim to level them, which worked to an extent. However I ended up needing to add a piece of weather stripping at the top between the two to fill the last of the gap.

My initial design had the top and backs wrap around the cup holder to have a complete top, but I realized that I would not have been able to get them in because of the shape. I will probably put a MOLLE grate there so I can mount some bags or something. I also thought about putting MOLLE grate on the entire back, but will probably end up just mounting my Maglite flashlight and other stuff like that there instead.

Not that I plan on remaking the entire thing, but I do kinda consider it to be a prototype as there are a number of things I would do differently. I will be taking it on a shakedown cruise next weekend to Moab and will no doubt discover more things I could improve on.
Really awesome job! Doing a seat delete is on my list of things to do and I love seeing everyone’s DIY solutions on here.

do you happen to know what the dimensions of the two bottom panels are? I like the idea of keeping it 2 pieces and from a footprint perspective this looks perfect. đź‘Ť

Ford Bronco 2 Door Rear Seat Delete With Storage Drawers A805D45D-4EC8-41A0-8AF9-487FC6134B4E

OP
OP
TCPR46

TCPR46

Black Diamond
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are these bolted down?
Yes, I used the the mounting points from the seats. I haven’t taken it off road yet, but so far they are very stable

Sponsored
OP
OP
TCPR46

TCPR46

Black Diamond
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Really awesome job! Doing a seat delete is on my list of things to do and I love seeing everyone’s DIY solutions on here.

do you happen to know what the dimensions of the two bottom panels are? I like the idea of keeping it 2 pieces and from a footprint perspective this looks perfect. đź‘Ť

Ford Bronco 2 Door Rear Seat Delete With Storage Drawers A805D45D-4EC8-41A0-8AF9-487FC6134B4E
They are 19.5” and 20.5” wide and 41.5” long. They could be a little longer, but I have the MOLLE bags on the tailgate and wanted to leave ample room.

mikey_photo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They are 19.5” and 20.5” wide and 41.5” long. They could be a little longer, but I have the MOLLE bags on the tailgate and wanted to leave ample room.
Thanks and again... really great job!

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those look awesome! Well done!

The only suggestion I’d have and it’s probably not too late, is to add some rubber matting on the top to protect the surface. It would also prevent things from sliding around, even if not tethered. Awesome work though!

OP
OP
TCPR46

TCPR46

Black Diamond
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Those look awesome! Well done!

The only suggestion I’d have and it’s probably not too late, is to add some rubber matting on the top to protect the surface. It would also prevent things from sliding around, even if not tethered. Awesome work though!
Originally I had planned to put a laminate on the top, but was worried how slippery it would be. So I decided to just leave it raw for now, and if I find it still too slick or that it’s getting damaged I’ll add some non-skid.
Sponsored