Sponsored

2 inch rough country spacer lift: good or bad idea?

OP
OP
blackdiamondog

blackdiamondog

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OK, I just got done. No binding on the CV's at full droop!
so you think ill be ok to take on some colorado trails with the spacers?
Sponsored

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think your probably safe with a 2” lift but an inch or 1-1/2” lift would be a bit safer. Geometry will be the same regardless of how it gets raised.
It could be that the torn up CV joints are caused by not properly managing the CV joints during installation.
It’s because you change the relationship of the piston in the shock it creates more droop which could overextend the cv. On the flip side if you get air your piston could hit the top of the shock and bend the shock. Both are extremes. Daily drive and light off-roading you will most likely be fine.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm installing the RC 2" lift kit right now. I don't think the new geometry is going to be any different than a Sasquatch equipped Bronco. When I get the other front back together I will check the CV for binding at full droop and let you know. I'm done for the evening but I'll post back tomorrow sometime.
20220122_181713.jpg
You wouldn’t see any major difference unless the suspension is allowed to full droop or fully compress to see if it bottoms out.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You are good to go!
Agree it may wear the CV a little more over time if your constantly at full droop but as long as your not planning to catch air, should be fine.

Sponsored

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Bilstein has a good article out on the web of the effects of spacers and why a coil over is preferable. I’ll be doing the same 2” kit until Ford has released their coil over kits.

Aviboy97

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For $1000 or less you can buy Squatch takeoff coilovers for all 4 corners, easily do the work yourself, and have a lift that increases performance, looks great, and doesn't break the bank.
Doing this won’t change the geometry to the CV’s?

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm installing the RC 2" lift kit right now. I don't think the new geometry is going to be any different than a Sasquatch equipped Bronco. When I get the other front back together I will check the CV for binding at full droop and let you know. I'm done for the evening but I'll post back tomorrow sometime.
20220122_181713.jpg
Can you post more photos from different angles with the stock steelies and tires lifted? Looks awesome

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Doing this won’t change the geometry to the CV’s?

It does not adversely change them. You are just swapping one set of stock coilovers for another, so you are still at stock angles.

Aviboy97

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It does not adversely change them. You are just swapping one set of stock coilovers for another, so you are still at stock angles.
Whereas spacer lifts do change the angles, correct?

Sponsored

Milkbaby

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My dealer installed the 2” rough country before I picked mine up.
285/70/17 what I’m running nothing stressful or oversized tires.
$485 with alignment check

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Agree. Coil-overs typically change the preload which changes the height, but the piston is in the same relationship as stock.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Spacers change the relationship of the mounting points which in effect changes the location of the piston in the shock which increases down travel (which could potentially put a little more bind on the cv over time) and it limits the amount of up travel could bottom out destroying the shock. But with that they are safe in light duty and daily driving. The 5100 ride height adjustable basically act like a coil over with more preload.
Ford Bronco 2 inch rough country spacer lift: good or bad idea? 614D649D-490D-4E58-9B67-617D9B05E8F2

Picture of one that was damaged due to limited up travel....this would most likely take extreme compression such as jumping your bronco.
Ford Bronco 2 inch rough country spacer lift: good or bad idea? 35643D81-DAFD-48CF-9D9C-BE67C720D5C1_4_5005_c

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Think of it this way. Without the spacer, you sit in a neutral position and have a certain amount of movement both ways. When you add a spacer, especially the ones that only go on top of the coilover, you change that neutral position to being in constant droop. Even though that angle was within the normal range of movement at stock, it wasn't at that angle all the time. Then, add a little more droop and you start to get at some unhealthy angles pretty quick.

Normally, full droop on a stock setup is at low speeds on the trail. You just don't get there very often in normal situations. Throw on a top plate spacer and you will see full droop a lot more often and in situations that can overly stress the CV.
Sponsored