Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr Black Diamond Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This past Sunday - I met up with the local Bronco group for a drive up to the snow - well, we expected to be done by 2 or 3 pm.. we didn't finish the trail until almost 7:30pm.. I didn't get home until almost 10pm.. things did NOT go as planned... but it was a good learning experience, and of course, I got photos and video.. the video is a little longer than I usually like - but there was a lot of content.

There were definitely quite a few recoveries that day, largely a result of a few factors:
1: Rig setup: Not having a front locker - this is a necessity in snow like this
2: Rig setup: Not having appropriate tires- there was a Non-Sasquatch bronco that kept high centering on the snow - with how deep it was, definitely needed the taller tires. Also, there was a Jeep running on mall-crawler tires that had no business being in the snow - he got stuck about every 50 feet for a while.
3: technique: people going too aggressive on the gas when trying to make progress, they just spun tires and got stuck
4: technique: not maintaining momentum going through the deep snow
5: technique/trail etiquette: the more appropriately equipped vehicles in the front of the group didn't pay attention to the people behind them, resulting in the first 2/3 of the group quickly moving away from the rear 1/3 of the group, causing us to have an ill-equipped bronco inadvertently becoming our lead vehicle, and we couldn't get around him to help when he got stuck.

As far as recovery gear - between several of us, we had a few kinetic ropes and soft shackles, which made it quick and easy to pull people out when they got stuck in a snowbank. We also had some shovels and traction boards (I don't think the traction boards EVER worked for us though).
As far as GOAT modes - I didn't use the goat modes - I put it in 4H with rear locker activated for most of it.. .a couple times I activated both front and rear lockers, and in some of the really deep and wet stuff I went to 4L with both lockers activated (and I disconnected sway bar for as much of it as I could too, just to help with ride quality). I was aired down to 15psi, and I personally never got stuck, but next time will probably go to 10-12 psi for the snow. As far as how the tires did in the snow - this is probably my 4th or 5th time going to the snow, and every time I've been REALLY impressed with how the stock sasquatch tires do in the snow. as far as traction control, I really played that by ear.. I turned it off for a while when I wanted to play and get sideways, back on when I needed the help... back off if I felt like it was hindering my ability to give throttle (and maybe spin a tire or two) if needed to get through deep stuff

When we got done with the trail, I was helping one of the other guys air his tires back up after I aired mine up, and I realized how much of a pain in the butt it is to get to the valve stems on the stock SAS wheels with the bead lock beauty ring in the way... another reason I'm glad I put aftermarket wheels on!

DJI_0010.jpg

DJI_0013.jpg

DJI_0025.jpg

MJB00619.jpg

MJB00659.jpg

MJB00706.jpg

MJB00826.jpg

MJB00854.jpg

MJB01130.jpg

MJB01162.jpg

MJB01204.jpg

MJB01318.jpg
Looks fun! I can tell from the pics, just about no one was aired down low enough. get down to 5-10 psi for the snow. You will see a huge difference. (Except that mall crawler... Theres no hope for 20s)
Sponsored

OP
OP

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks fun! I can tell from the pics, just about no one was aired down low enough. get down to 5-10 psi for the snow. You will see a huge difference. (Except that mall crawler... Theres no hope for 20s)
My understanding is that 8 or lower on non beadlocks is asking to lose a bead. ?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My understanding is that 8 or lower on non beadlocks is asking to lose a bead. ?
Depends on the wheel and tire. I was at 5 psi and didn't pop a bead even when doing a trail turn on the snow covered pavement. I have run down to 2-3psi on certain wheel and tire combos.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So when you guys used kinetic ropes to pull people out, did you just hook them to your trailer hitch?

I've been wondering because seems like the hitch is a weak point on the frame.

Sponsored
OP
OP

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So when you guys used kinetic ropes to pull people out, did you just hook them to your trailer hitch?

no - I don't have a hitch - i use the factory recovery points

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Using the rear factory recovery points last time out. Did notice more side pulling than I liked but we had fun dragging broncos through way to much snow. But using the factory recovery points did cause the vehicle to rotate while being extracted.

I should have put the strap on the other front recovery point in this picture. I took a video but need to edit it but I'm not that technically advanced anymore.
Ford Bronco 20+ Broncos hit the mountain to find some snow... lessons were learned PXL_20230121_035414931~2

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It was cool seeing how much the locker helped in the one scene. We won't be seeing conditions like this any time soon but it's awesome to know it's possible. I like driving (well, passengering, it's my wife's bronco) in situations our previous vehicles couldn't do which is why I loved the water crossings on our recent trip so much. Nothing I have owned prior would have been able to do it and it's neat to know you can go places that would have been impossible in the past.

Also this and another video we recently watched made me go ahead and order kinetic rope and soft shackles, I knew we needed them but never made the leap.

tjzoli

Wildtrak
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This past Sunday - I met up with the local Bronco group for a drive up to the snow - well, we expected to be done by 2 or 3 pm.. we didn't finish the trail until almost 7:30pm.. I didn't get home until almost 10pm.. things did NOT go as planned... but it was a good learning experience, and of course, I got photos and video.. the video is a little longer than I usually like - but there was a lot of content.

There were definitely quite a few recoveries that day, largely a result of a few factors:
1: Rig setup: Not having a front locker - this is a necessity in snow like this
2: Rig setup: Not having appropriate tires- there was a Non-Sasquatch bronco that kept high centering on the snow - with how deep it was, definitely needed the taller tires. Also, there was a Jeep running on mall-crawler tires that had no business being in the snow - he got stuck about every 50 feet for a while.
3: technique: people going too aggressive on the gas when trying to make progress, they just spun tires and got stuck
4: technique: not maintaining momentum going through the deep snow
5: technique/trail etiquette: the more appropriately equipped vehicles in the front of the group didn't pay attention to the people behind them, resulting in the first 2/3 of the group quickly moving away from the rear 1/3 of the group, causing us to have an ill-equipped bronco inadvertently becoming our lead vehicle, and we couldn't get around him to help when he got stuck.

As far as recovery gear - between several of us, we had a few kinetic ropes and soft shackles, which made it quick and easy to pull people out when they got stuck in a snowbank. We also had some shovels and traction boards (I don't think the traction boards EVER worked for us though).
As far as GOAT modes - I didn't use the goat modes - I put it in 4H with rear locker activated for most of it.. .a couple times I activated both front and rear lockers, and in some of the really deep and wet stuff I went to 4L with both lockers activated (and I disconnected sway bar for as much of it as I could too, just to help with ride quality). I was aired down to 15psi, and I personally never got stuck, but next time will probably go to 10-12 psi for the snow. As far as how the tires did in the snow - this is probably my 4th or 5th time going to the snow, and every time I've been REALLY impressed with how the stock sasquatch tires do in the snow. as far as traction control, I really played that by ear.. I turned it off for a while when I wanted to play and get sideways, back on when I needed the help... back off if I felt like it was hindering my ability to give throttle (and maybe spin a tire or two) if needed to get through deep stuff

When we got done with the trail, I was helping one of the other guys air his tires back up after I aired mine up, and I realized how much of a pain in the butt it is to get to the valve stems on the stock SAS wheels with the bead lock beauty ring in the way... another reason I'm glad I put aftermarket wheels on!

Ford Bronco 20+ Broncos hit the mountain to find some snow... lessons were learned PXL_20230121_035414931~2

Amazing.

BroncoDymond88

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What camera did you use on the dashboard? I've been using the DJI pocket 2 and it looks similar. Thanks!

Sponsored
OP
OP

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What camera did you use on the dashboard? I've been using the DJI pocket 2 and it looks similar. Thanks!
it's a GoPro ... I think this was my old Gopro Hero 6 black on the dash, I usually use my Hero 10 black, but was using that for other footage instead of the dash this time

Broncoup

Wildtrak
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974-Bronco; 2014-Grand Cherokee-Summit
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you for the trail advise! Loved the pictures and the video! Bronco on!

Fordmanfrombirth

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Great stuff! Trail etiquette is critical. It’s all about practice practice practice! I think the real challenge is for those of us that did not order a Badlands Sasquatch. I only have rear lockers, with 2 inch lift and Badlands 17s with BFG KO2. I managed to keep up on a moderate trail in Fla this past weekend. I did not do the deep mud to be sure. The BRaptor tore it up out there.

Soundgarden

Badlands
First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands-Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As someone who wheels in the snow a lot, these are all good observations. I think 35s, lockers and a lift kit are all very important to prevent getting stuck in sugar snow with over 2 ft depth.
Sponsored