Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome footage, great work and looks like a lot of fun.

If you're going to lead more rides, the bronco in front and the tailgunner should have high powered 25-50 watt mobile radios with decent antennas, not handhelds. There's no excuse for losing comms as the radios have gotten rather cheap. I've only joined a few good group rides so far and every time I see a leader with a Baofeng I'm like fuuuuuuck we're gonna get split up. I do my best then to stay in the middle of the pack and be relay man but gosh is it frustrating.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HmrHmr23

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BlackWidow
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This past Sunday - I met up with the local Bronco group for a drive up to the snow - well, we expected to be done by 2 or 3 pm.. we didn't finish the trail until almost 7:30pm.. I didn't get home until almost 10pm.. things did NOT go as planned... but it was a good learning experience, and of course, I got photos and video.. the video is a little longer than I usually like - but there was a lot of content.

Where did you guys go? What mountain and white trail?

There were definitely quite a few recoveries that day, largely a result of a few factors:
1: Rig setup: Not having a front locker - this is a necessity in snow like this
2: Rig setup: Not having appropriate tires- there was a Non-Sasquatch bronco that kept high centering on the snow - with how deep it was, definitely needed the taller tires. Also, there was a Jeep running on mall-crawler tires that had no business being in the snow - he got stuck about every 50 feet for a while.
3: technique: people going too aggressive on the gas when trying to make progress, they just spun tires and got stuck
4: technique: not maintaining momentum going through the deep snow
5: technique/trail etiquette: the more appropriately equipped vehicles in the front of the group didn't pay attention to the people behind them, resulting in the first 2/3 of the group quickly moving away from the rear 1/3 of the group, causing us to have an ill-equipped bronco inadvertently becoming our lead vehicle, and we couldn't get around him to help when he got stuck.

As far as recovery gear - between several of us, we had a few kinetic ropes and soft shackles, which made it quick and easy to pull people out when they got stuck in a snowbank. We also had some shovels and traction boards (I don't think the traction boards EVER worked for us though).
As far as GOAT modes - I didn't use the goat modes - I put it in 4H with rear locker activated for most of it.. .a couple times I activated both front and rear lockers, and in some of the really deep and wet stuff I went to 4L with both lockers activated (and I disconnected sway bar for as much of it as I could too, just to help with ride quality). I was aired down to 15psi, and I personally never got stuck, but next time will probably go to 10-12 psi for the snow. As far as how the tires did in the snow - this is probably my 4th or 5th time going to the snow, and every time I've been REALLY impressed with how the stock sasquatch tires do in the snow. as far as traction control, I really played that by ear.. I turned it off for a while when I wanted to play and get sideways, back on when I needed the help... back off if I felt like it was hindering my ability to give throttle (and maybe spin a tire or two) if needed to get through deep stuff

When we got done with the trail, I was helping one of the other guys air his tires back up after I aired mine up, and I realized how much of a pain in the butt it is to get to the valve stems on the stock SAS wheels with the bead lock beauty ring in the way... another reason I'm glad I put aftermarket wheels on!

DJI_0010.jpg

DJI_0013.jpg

DJI_0025.jpg

MJB00619.jpg

MJB00659.jpg

MJB00706.jpg

MJB00826.jpg

MJB00854.jpg

MJB01130.jpg

MJB01162.jpg

MJB01204.jpg

MJB01318.jpg

lni

Badlands
First Name
Lni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Dr Badsquatch, Porsche GT4, BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can use decent music in your videos if you don't care who makes money off of the video. Van Halen isn't known for shutting things down. They'll take the ad revenue.
Awesome selection of "Where Have all the Good Times Gone". Maybe should have saved it for later in the video when things were going to sh!t. LOL

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Big thing is with 20+ vehicles it's near impossible not to take a huge section of the trail. Imagine a 1/2 mile bronco train running through the trail. I opted for football as the previous outing was to big with 10 broncos, trying to pull over and pass was not happening.

Wentworth Spring is just not the best trail to have a large group on with that much snow.

The Donner dinner party joke is spot on, people have been air rescued out in the past.

Wild Horses 4x4

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildhorses4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome shots! Glad to hear you all were able to make it out safely and in one piece. Accidents happen and mistakes were made but its all apart of the fun and it also turned out to be a great learning experience. Hope to join you guys again on another trail ride soon!

Sponsored

Prkelly

Badlands
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so, did anyone in the Party Have Mud Flaps and if so did they remove them when airing down?

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Chains are great for icy or snowy roads but once the snow gets deep you want to stay on top as much as possible. This is accomplished by airing down to create as big a footprint as possible and compacting the snow. Chains will dig into the snow and as the snow is several feet deep in the high sierras, you would bottom out with chains
Makes sense. Like sand driving. It seems like this trip as the OP described it needs some plan tweaking, given the wide range of vehicle ability with some getting stuck and needing pull out, and the trip extending 5 hours far beyond sunset which can be a recipe for disaster in snow. Limit the # vehicles? Break into teams? Its not a good narrative for a trip leader that I read here.

deejay08

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This past Sunday - I met up with the local Bronco group for a drive up to the snow - well, we expected to be done by 2 or 3 pm.. we didn't finish the trail until almost 7:30pm.. I didn't get home until almost 10pm.. things did NOT go as planned... but it was a good learning experience, and of course, I got photos and video.. the video is a little longer than I usually like - but there was a lot of content.

There were definitely quite a few recoveries that day, largely a result of a few factors:
2: Rig setup: Not having appropriate tires- there was a Non-Sasquatch bronco that kept high centering on the snow - with how deep it was, definitely needed the taller tires. Also, there was a Jeep running on mall-crawler tires that had no business being in the snow - he got stuck about every 50 feet for a while.
3: technique: people going too aggressive on the gas when trying to make progress, they just spun tires and got stuck
5: technique/trail etiquette: the more appropriately equipped vehicles in the front of the group didn't pay attention to the people behind them, resulting in the first 2/3 of the group quickly moving away from the rear 1/3 of the group, causing us to have an ill-equipped bronco inadvertently becoming our lead vehicle, and we couldn't get around him to help when he got stuck.

As far as recovery gear - between several of us, we had a few kinetic ropes and soft shackles, which made it quick and easy to pull people out when they got stuck in a snowbank. We also had some shovels and traction boards (I don't think the traction boards EVER worked for us though).
As far as GOAT modes - I didn't use the goat modes - I put it in 4H with rear locker activated for most of it.. .a couple times I activated both front and rear lockers, and in some of the really deep and wet stuff I went to 4L with both lockers activated (and I disconnected sway bar for as much of it as I could too, just to help with ride quality). I was aired down to 15psi, and I personally never got stuck, but next time will probably go to 10-12 psi for the snow. As far as how the tires did in the snow - this is probably my 4th or 5th time going to the snow, and every time I've been REALLY impressed with how the stock sasquatch tires do in the snow. as far as traction control, I really played that by ear.. I turned it off for a while when I wanted to play and get sideways, back on when I needed the help... back off if I felt like it was hindering my ability to give throttle (and maybe spin a tire or two) if needed to get through deep stuff

When we got done with the trail, I was helping one of the other guys air his tires back up after I aired mine up, and I realized how much of a pain in the butt it is to get to the valve stems on the stock SAS wheels with the bead lock beauty ring in the way... another reason I'm glad I put aftermarket wheels on!

DJI_0010.jpg

DJI_0013.jpg

DJI_0025.jpg

MJB00619.jpg

MJB00659.jpg

MJB00706.jpg

MJB00826.jpg

MJB00854.jpg

MJB01130.jpg

MJB01162.jpg

MJB01204.jpg

MJB01318.jpg
I was up in mammoth about a week ago during the storms and honestly i was really impressed how well the SAS just waltzed around. Pulled out some teslas out of snowbanks and the number of AWD audis etc. stuck and abandoned around the city was insane. Anyone with a 2WD vehicle out on the roads got stuck as well. That Jeep on your trip would have been stuck in a ditch too with those tires. Sierra Nevada snow has been no joke this year.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Traction between the Territory tires from Sasquatch and the BFG KO2 from Badlands non Sasquatch or Raptor?
I absolutely love the Territory in the snow, very impressed. But I never tried the KO2.
The territories are awesome in the snow! Just my opinion from living in the mountains for 25+ yrs., but the BFGs are the most overrated snow tire out there. Because of sizing options and sometimes they came on a vehicle I bought and because years ago they were a good snow tire when they were the best option and no other good ones were out there in truck sizes, I have been on and off with the BFGs. Every time I think to myself how much I dislike like them. The territories grab and bite with so many more edges and sipes. Not the best summer tire but outside of a dedicated snow tire I'm not sure they can be beat right now. The Falken AT3W is damn close.

Sponsored

hallihh

Raptor
First Name
Haraldur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X / Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

4-7 psi gotta go way low in snow. But then you need Beadlock or inner Beadlocks.
I remember going once sub 8 psi in deep snow on a 38" w/o Beadlocks .... lets just put it that way, we needed to take out the starter fluid and a lighter to get home.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Makes sense. Like sand driving. It seems like this trip as the OP described it needs some plan tweaking, given the wide range of vehicle ability with some getting stuck and needing pull out, and the trip extending 5 hours far beyond sunset which can be a recipe for disaster in snow. Limit the # vehicles? Break into teams? Its not a good narrative for a trip leader that I read here.
100% there was a lot of lessons learned from the admin side for these trips. A lot of stuff was already put in place to combat these issues and we are doing a Bronco Academy at a local 4x4 park to get the newer members up to speed on how to use their Bronco

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The territories are awesome in the snow! Just my opinion from living in the mountains for 25+ yrs., but the BFGs are the most overrated snow tire out there. Because of sizing options and sometimes they came on a vehicle I bought and because years ago they were a good snow tire when they were the best option and no other good ones were out there in truck sizes, I have been on and off with the BFGs. Every time I think to myself how much I dislike like them. The territories grab and bite with so many more edges and sipes. Not the best summer tire but outside of a dedicated snow tire I'm not sure they can be beat right now. The Falken AT3W is damn close.
I just did some wheeling up around big bear, helped get a silverado unstuck in some icy mud. My 4DR Badlands and a 2DR ahead of me both had sasquatch and had basically zero issues. Some jeeps we encountered later on were struggling pretty good, most of those were Saharas I think the Rubicons were doing just fine. My Territory MTs now have ~19,500 miles on them and I'm very much inclined to buy other people's take-offs and let others spend top dollar on tires.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so, did anyone in the Party Have Mud Flaps and if so did they remove them when airing down?
I can tell you I just some snow wheeling with Rokblokz on front and rear, left them on the entire time and had zero issues. The only time I intend to remove them is if I'm going to be traversing lots of rocks and flexing alot and even then probably just the fronts.

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

DJI_0010.jpg

DJI_0013.jpg

DJI_0025.jpg

MJB00619.jpg

MJB00659.jpg

MJB00706.jpg

MJB00826.jpg

MJB00854.jpg

MJB01130.jpg

MJB01162.jpg

MJB01204.jpg

MJB01318.jpg