First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
YES!! There are no shortcuts in semiconductor. Especially in the automotive sector. And as far as unions go and unskilled workers, this was not a strike event. So all of those skilled workers are probably chomping at the bit to get going on builds.
Additionally the reference to "non-union" workers on a semiconductor assembly line seems like pure BS. Given where most are made - either Asia or in very non-Union states in the U.S., I'd be shocked if there are are any facilities where there's union labor at play.

Sorry, O.P., but I call bull.
Sponsored

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Additionally the reference to "non-union" workers on a semiconductor assembly line seems like pure BS. Given where most are made - either Asia or in very non-Union states in the U.S., I'd be shocked if there are are any facilities where there's union labor at play.

Sorry, O.P., but I call bull.
You are not correct. We have union operators here in our clean room (although, it's not common practice). There are also plenty of discrete devices and ICs being manufactured here in the US and not over seas. As a matter of fact make power discretes for automotive applications. You probably have a few of our chips in your car. :)

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I will say in my line of work (truck upfitter) we've seen quality/reliability dip in the last year from our manufacturers. Warranty claims in the last 8-10 months with typically pretty good vendors is way up. Customers are tired of the "Covid excuse" when explaining that some of these factories have been shut down and restarted multiple times. It's been frustrating for sure, I feel by the time my Bronco is built we should be out of the worst of it hopefully. If not it has a warranty and I have other vehicles to drive, I'm making the choice to order a brand new vehicle without even touching one.

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Unless Ford decides not to include the 3/36000 warranty I am not the least bit worried.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are not correct. We have union operators here in our clean room (although, it's not common practice). There are also plenty of discrete devices and ICs being manufactured here in the US and not over seas. As a matter of fact make power discretes for automotive applications. You probably have a few of our chips in your car. :)
OK . . . but in the context of the OP's post . . . how many of those union operators have been replaced with non-union operators?

Sponsored

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

OK . . . but in the context of the OP's post . . . how many of those union operators have been replaced with non-union operators?
Yes, None. His fears regarding unskilled laborers are unfounded.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are also plenty of discrete devices and ICs being manufactured here in the US and not over seas.
Saw an article recently that Samsung and TSMC are investing multi-billions into new chip factories in the U.S.(y)

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I spent some time building super chargers for Roush and every temp except one in all my time there had just as good of work quality as the full time employees. The temps were actually more motivated in some cases because they were hoping for full time offers afterwards. It was all great quality work and there were many phases on the different lines for people to double check and I assume it’s no different working for Ford.

The one temp who did not meet quality standards didn’t make it long. He was an engine builder, had a brain fart, and tried to hammer in a camshaft... yikes.

Big Island Bronco ?♂️

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, 1971 Z28 R/S
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Let me start by saying that I feel confident that my 2021 First Edition Bronco will be a quality vehicle. But years from now we will be referring to some vehicles as “covid cars/trucks”. It’s not that auto manufactures hired unskilled people off the street to replace the dozens of Covid stricken employees but rather the discombobulated working environment from having new employees and employees distracted, worrying about covid, their jobs, etc. Back in December I talked to an employee at Webasto Roof Systems. They told me the issues with the Bronco’s hard top was because of chaos brought about by Covid at their plant. Here they were setting up a new plant to produce a new product and there was no continuity in the workforce. People were coming and going from there other plant to fill in and it really threw a monkey wrench into the whole process. This is something that in 2020 also plagued most of the tier 1 suppliers for the big three along with the rest of the auto manufacturers. As my next-door neighbor said last year who is personally working on the Bronco, “before Covid we were all under one roof working together and now we’re all working from home!” It took some adjusting to get used to it but now things are running very smoothly. Something that should put peoples minds at ease is that Jim Farley the CEO of FORD enacted a new rule that says suppliers would share 50% of the warranty costs. I believe this right here is one of the main reasons why Webasto has been slow to ramp up production as they want to make sure every hard top they produce is a quality product. If anybody is worried about the quality of the new Ford Bronco then I would suggest for peace of mind you buy an extended warranty.

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Saw an article recently that Samsung and TSMC are investing multi-billions into new chip factories in the U.S.(y)
I haven't seen that one. We need it. TSMC is ginormous, Samsung too. I hope they build in one of the more southern states. Maybe I'll move. lol.

Sponsored

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The biggest problem I can see affecting quality would be supply chain issues and parts constraints. All manufacturing is experiencing this due to COVID. Hopefully ford will keep to their standard suppliers, which with the delays, it seems that they are.

'68'72'95'21

Badlands
First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Remember, this is also the same company that designed, engineered, produced, and raced the winning car at LeMans in a very short time frame... Twice. I'm a 'glass 51% full' guy, and all these pre-production Broncos we've been seeing are to flesh out as many issues as possible, I'm confident they will have them pretty sorted out when we get them.
Sponsored