Sponsored

2020 Bronco Off Road Angles (Approach/Departure)

99Discovery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Discovery 2, 07 Hummer H3, 03 Range Rover
Hi guys!

I've lurked for awhile, and particularly enjoyed the awesome renders shared on this site. I'm not artistically inclined, but I do have access to some CAD software, so I decided to put the "teaser sheet" photo to scale and try to guess as to what some of the angles are going to be.

We've heard manufacturers claim that they are "competing with Wrangler" before; and when the vehicle is released, it's a dud. But judging by the teaser photo, it looks like Ford is actually serious this time. The numbers work out quite well and compare quite favorably to the Wrangler.

I'm actually excited now rather than just curious....Another body-on-frame off-road capable SUV is a great thing.

Here is my video below:

Sponsored

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Cool analysis. Would be impressive approach and departure angles even if not as high as the Wrangler. But would be significantly better than the 4Runner and that might be good enough. The Wrangler makes certain compromises to claim its crawling king crown but the Bronco could split the difference between the Wrangler and 4Runner and carve out a nice little niche for itself.

OP
OP

99Discovery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with that. I also tried to contact Michael Clark if I could use his awesome rendering he did for Road and Track rather than relying on the "sheet" photo. I didn't hear back either way, so I decided to play it safe and just use Ford's released image.

But I did scale and run Michael's photo through my program and discovered that he also used the same 255/75r17 tires, and got a sweet 100" wheelbase and his renderings had even better angles, matching (and I think exceeding the departure) of the JL Wrangler.

I'll have to upload the file when I get back to that computer.

93lightningBronco

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 ford bronco. 3rd one
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Vert cool video, i wish but probably not that they would do a coil spring solid front axle. ARTICULATION. LOL .I mean how hard would it be to use a dana 44 coil springs and drag link. The ride is good but it creates sooooo many options and the after market companies would be alllllll over it. Ive had 4 92 to 94 broncos the ttb front end is ehh but the 78,79 setup on a smaller scale with better teck .Perfection. Thats a Jeep competitor. IFS and even talk about goung after jeep is a mistake. If its ifs your not even in the same realm as jeep. Dont kid yourself .Its juat a smaller version of the full sized blazer from 94.

Sponsored
OP
OP

99Discovery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry guys, it's been awhile since I've been back at my workhorse computer. As promised, here is Mikes/Road and Track's famous rendering with the dimensions overlayed. I would have loved to have featured this rendering in my video, but I didn't receive any confirmation from Mike or Road and Track that it would be kosher, so I opted to play it save and just deal with the Ford release photo.

These dimensions also assume a 255/75R17 tire size. Once to scale, you can see that the wheelbase is even shorter than I predicted (100" vs 103") and the angles are just phenomenal. You can't see it very well on my photo, but the 43 degree line is if Ford installs a 4" or so removable air-dam for MPG reasons.

I can see why this is the rendering everyone wants to be reality, because it just works. Especially if it is solid front. While I'm not against IFS (or even IRS if properly designed), it's not the ideal setup for modders, and everyone is correct: If you want to challenge Wrangler, solid axles are a must.

bronco dimensions.JPG

B2C

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sorry guys, it's been awhile since I've been back at my workhorse computer. As promised, here is Mikes/Road and Track's famous rendering with the dimensions overlayed. I would have loved to have featured this rendering in my video, but I didn't receive any confirmation from Mike or Road and Track that it would be kosher, so I opted to play it save and just deal with the Ford release photo.

These dimensions also assume a 255/75R17 tire size. Once to scale, you can see that the wheelbase is even shorter than I predicted (100" vs 103") and the angles are just phenomenal. You can't see it very well on my photo, but the 43 degree line is if Ford installs a 4" or so removable air-dam for MPG reasons.

I can see why this is the rendering everyone wants to be reality, because it just works. Especially if it is solid front. While I'm not against IFS (or even IRS if properly designed), it's not the ideal setup for modders, and everyone is correct: If you want to challenge Wrangler, solid axles are a must.

bronco dimensions.JPG
That would be awesome dimensions and proportions both for looks and for approach angles. About solid axle though, hasn't it already been confirmed that the front will be IFS?

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Any chance to overlay a two door Wrangler on that to see the size comparo?

Bronco Logic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 King Ranch, 96 White Sport, 76 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That would be awesome dimensions and proportions both for looks and for approach angles. About solid axle though, hasn't it already been confirmed that the front will be IFS?
Not exactly, it has been confirmed however that Dana will be producing the axles for the Bronco and Ranger with their new Advan-tek gear technology but its produced for both IFS and SA configurations no its a toss up. I do believe the Bronco will receive live axles. If it was going to have IFS it would have already been mentioned and Ford wouldn't keep touting its off-road capability aspirations. Just one Bronco lovers opinion.......but its right! ;)

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not exactly, it has been confirmed however that Dana will be producing the axles for the Bronco and Ranger with their new Advan-tek gear technology but its produced for both IFS and SA configurations no its a toss up. I do believe the Bronco will receive live axles. If it was going to have IFS it would have already been mentioned and Ford wouldn't keep touting its off-road capability aspirations. Just one Bronco lovers opinion.......but its right! ;)
AFAIK the Troller T4 has solid axles, and it's running on the same T6 platform that is shared by half a dozen Ford vehicles, so they already have the know how. With several other models like the Explorer in the Ford fleet with a focus on comfort and road handling, there is no good reason not to make the Bronco have proper off-road chops with solid axles and perhaps some active dampening coil-overs or similar one-upsmanship borrowed from the Raptor to rub in Jeep's face.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for this video. Ive been meaning to post here for a while but you did make a new subscriber when I saw this.
These angles are very impressive and the whole size is what Ive been wanting Ford to make for almost 30 years now. A mid size Bronco with these dimensions seems ideal to me. Once again great video and thanks for the work on it.

AFAIK the Troller T4 has solid axles, and it's running on the same T6 platform that is shared by half a dozen Ford vehicles, so they already have the know how. With several other models like the Explorer in the Ford fleet with a focus on comfort and road handling, there is no good reason not to make the Bronco have proper off-road chops with solid axles and perhaps some active dampening coil-overs or similar one-upsmanship borrowed from the Raptor to rub in Jeep's face.
I sure hope they go with solid axles and they could. If not then I'd hope they would give us the front end of the Raptor Ranger but I think that would be too costly and too wide. So a solid axle makes more sense but we'll see.
Sponsored