Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

A source has told Jalopnik that the 2020 Bronco could get a Getrag 7-speed manual transmission! Full story below.
The 2020 Ford Bronco Could Get A 7-Speed Manual Transmission

The number of new cars available with a manual transmission gets smaller every year, and even sports sedans like the new BMW 3 Series are getting rid of them for the U.S. market. And while trucks and SUVs have overwhelmingly been equipped with automatics in recent years, we might have a new savior in the form of the upcoming 2020 Ford Bronco.

According to sources who spoke with Jalopnik, Ford has tapped Getrag to build a manual transmission for the upcoming 2020 Ford Bronco. The new transmission which is to be dubbed, the MT-88 will be a seven-speed gearbox and will likely be paired with their 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 engine.

Ford currently partners with Getrag to produce the MT-82 six-speed manual for the Mustang, so it is possible that this new transmission will feature some similar components or possibly even end up in the next generation of that car.

This new transmission is being planned for the Bronco at this time, but since the vehicle is still under development, plans for it may change as we get closer to its reveal.

Only a few cars currently on the market use seven-speed manual gearboxes, among them the Porsche 911 and Chevrolet Corvette.

Although the take rate may not be high, the move to add a manual transmission makes a lot of sense if Ford is planning to pit the Bronco against the new Jeep Wrangler, which offers a manual transmission in certain configurations that have been praised in early reviews.

LinkedIn profiles for Getrag employees show that their engineering division in Germany has been working on a new manual transmission since 2015 that is internally called the 6/7MTI550. The base version of this project is the six-speed manual 6MTI550 which can be upgraded to a seven-speed version called the 7MTI550. This numbering scheme would fall in line with their previous projects as the Ford MT-82 was internally called the 6MTI500 prior to being installed on the Mustang.

luknmctmrcntmf1fomzw.png

According to a spec page on the Getrag website, the 6/7MTI550 is a six or seven-speed manual transmission that is rated for 405 lb-ft of torque which would match well to the current rating of 400 lb-ft of the 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine. The spec page also shows a date of 2021 as well as the capability for use in all-wheel drive applications.

Profiles for employees at the Getrag Jiangxi facility in Nanchang, China show that they are working on a project that is coded MT-88, which is not surprising as they contributed to the development of the MT-82 that is currently in the Mustang. The MT-82 is built at that Nanchang facility in China so it is likely that this new MT-88 could be built there as well.

Further searches show that the Dunton Technical Centre in the UK is doing some of the development on the Ford side. According to some profiles for the team members there, they are doing work to improve the torsional level from the MT-82 to the MT-88 as well as working on the clutch and an assumed dual-mass flywheel design. The same team is also working on another mystery manual transmission that is dubbed MT-380 but it is not known at this time what products it might end up in.

We reached out to Magna, which is the parent company of Getrag and they stated that: “Unfortunately, because the new Ford Bronco is a future vehicle program, we are not able to confirm or discuss any potential content we might have.”

We also reached out to Ford and, predictably, were told it does not speculate on future products.

All of the pieces are there, and a plan appears to be in place. Now we just have to wait and see if the manual transmission makes it past the focus groups and bean counters.

Source: Jalopnik
Sponsored

BOFOL

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This seems to be a pure MPG move. I can't see why the Bronco would need 6 speeds let alone 7 speeds.

capitbull

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 CC SB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This seems to be a pure MPG move. I can't see why the Bronco would need 6 speeds let alone 7 speeds.
Whatever the reason it is good news. #savethemanual

Also a smart move since there's many serious offroad guys who will only drive manual and Jeep has and probably always will offer it.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Awesome to hear a manual transmission might be available!

flyfish

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD, 2016 Nissan 370z Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A 7sp MT is pretty neat. My 05 Dodge CTD has a 6sp, really it's a 5 speed with a granny. I still reach for 7th when I'm on the highway after 13 years....

Let's hope Ford follows through with the Bronco, totally disappointed no MT in the Ranger. If no MT, I'm back to looking at a Wrangler or Scrambler for my Dodge replacement.

Newtoford

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango, Wrangler XL
A manual would definitely put the Bronco on my radar as a guy that owns their target competitor - an '08 Jeep Wrangler XL with the 6sp manual that is getting long in the tooth. Actually looking at it to replace both that and my daily driver - Durango RT - if that little ecoboost has the legs.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Could mean a crawler 1st gear 6 regular driving gears.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read 7-speed manual. The low end can be a classic granny gear for soft crawling.

The fact that the reviewers assume it's all overdrive tells you they don't think like the target market.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A source has told Jalopnik that the 2020 Bronco could get a Getrag 7-speed manual transmission! Full story below.

Jalopnik said:
... According to a spec page on the Getrag website, the 6/7MTI550 is a six or seven-speed manual transmission that is rated for 405 lb-ft of torque which would match well to the current rating of 400 lb-ft of the 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine. ...
The 3.0L V6 Ecoboost is a better match, with the HO version seen in the Explorer and Aviator hitting 400lbft of torque and 400hp.

If you're going to take on the burden of a compacted graphite iron engine with twice as many heads etc. (tripple the core weight of the little 2.3 I4 aluminum engine), you had better be getting a real upgrade in performance. The 3.0 V6 Ecoboost has shown much greater potential than the 2.7 (the two are part of the same 'Nano' design family). Those iron turbo pigs weight just as much as the aluminum 5.0 coyote ... which BTW also produces about 400lbft of torque for that MT-88 to throw down.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it doesn't get a manual, then I won't be interested at all.
Exactly.

I already got an auto for DD, don't want another for a weekend toy

Manual in a 2.7tt, cue the delusions of grandeur of taking a coast to coast road trip

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now, I'm a newbie with manuals and torque ratings, so when they say it's rated for 405tq, they mean...?

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read 7-speed manual. The low end can be a classic granny gear for soft crawling.

The fact that the reviewers assume it's all overdrive tells you they don't think like the target market.
From BOF
7 hours ago, jpd80 said:
I said super low first gear, if it just more overdrives I would have said that.
It would seem the likelyhood of the manual being geared low for technical maneuvering is high.

Standard 10R80 Ford automatic with probable Ford differential ratio
Ford Bronco 2020 Ford Bronco May Get A 7-Speed Manual Transmission trans Ford 10R80 standard

Wrangler automatic and gas Rubicon differential
Ford Bronco 2020 Ford Bronco May Get A 7-Speed Manual Transmission trans Jeep Auto

Possible MT88 manual with ratios from current 6-speed, plus granny low
Ford Bronco 2020 Ford Bronco May Get A 7-Speed Manual Transmission trans Ford MT88 possible granny

Wrangler 6-speed manual with gas Rubicon differential
Ford Bronco 2020 Ford Bronco May Get A 7-Speed Manual Transmission trans Jeep Manual

Sponsored