Sponsored

2020 Ford Explorer ST 400 horsepower

Could this be a engine option for Bronco Raptor version?

• Total voters

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've advocated for the use of the 3.0L V6 twin turbo Ecoboost in the Ranger and Bronco for a long time. The detuned version could come in around 330hp or whatever beats the competition in that midsize segment, and this engine would still have plenty of room left for the high output version with 400hp that could be used in the Raptor or whatever performance name gets attached to Bronco.

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There's quite a few possibilities will Bronco use Rangers 270hp 2.3 then have as a option the Explorers 300hp 2.3 and as a further option the Explorers Platinum's 365hp 3.0 then possibly the 400hp 3.0 for the Bronco "Raptor" Food for thought.

HTX1811

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SXT 4x4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I bet that will scoot down the road pretty good.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What do we think the bronco will weigh. Ranger is real close to 4000 at it's lowest, right?
I don't see how a 2.7/3.0 ECO is going to be lighter than my fusion, which weigh between 4000 and 4180
(depending upon options).

I can see optioned up 2.7 bronco with beefier drivetrain, larger wheels/tires, more structure for roof and or
doors that come off, tech out thwe wazo, being 4600 lbs easy. I think the 2.7 is the minimum engine I would
accept at that weight. Ford is dismal at making light vehicles (which I realize is the tradeoff for keeping prices down).

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What do we think the bronco will weigh. Ranger is real close to 4000 at it's lowest, right?
I don't see how a 2.7/3.0 ECO is going to be lighter than my fusion, which weigh between 4000 and 4180
(depending upon options).

I can see optioned up 2.7 bronco with beefier drive train, larger wheels/tires, more structure for roof and or
doors that come off, tech out the wazo, being 4600 lbs easy. I think the 2.7 is the minimum engine I would
accept at that weight. Ford is dismal at making light vehicles (which I realize is the tradeoff for keeping prices down).
I know this is oversimplified but I would start with looking at the wrangler and ranger, we know it should be pretty similar to both of these. The added body and beefy suspension and driveline of the bronco will add a few hundred pounds over the base ranger i'm sure, and its also pretty fair to assume it wont be over 5k since that gets into f-150 territory. I bet it will be a bit heavier than the jeep since it will probably have more powertrain and driveline beef, and vehicles arent getting any smaller. We also have to assume that there is a good hundred pounds in short vs long wheelbase, and maybe another hundred or so if we get a bigger engine than the 2.3 as an option.

So my guess would be 4200-4500 for the short version and more like 4300-4800 for a long version.

That is a pretty wide range I guess hahaha so I will throw my dart at 4300 and 4500 for swb and lwb.

We will see, I also wonder how much lighter a manual option would be than an automatic? or if they offer different roof options like hard or soft that would surely impact it as well.

Side note, fitting with this thread this is in the range of the all new 2020 explorer which is another benchmark in terms of vehicle size that ford offers right now.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I know this is oversimplified but I would start with looking at the wrangler and ranger, we know it should be pretty similar to both of these. The added body and beefy suspension and driveline of the bronco will add a few hundred pounds over the base ranger i'm sure, and its also pretty fair to assume it wont be over 5k since that gets into f-150 territory. I bet it will be a bit heavier than the jeep since it will probably have more powertrain and driveline beef, and vehicles arent getting any smaller. We also have to assume that there is a good hundred pounds in short vs long wheelbase, and maybe another hundred or so if we get a bigger engine than the 2.3 as an option.

So my guess would be 4200-4500 for the short version and more like 4300-4800 for a long version.

That is a pretty wide range I guess hahaha so I will throw my dart at 4300 and 4500 for swb and lwb.

We will see, I also wonder how much lighter a manual option would be than an automatic? or if they offer different roof options like hard or soft that would surely impact it as well.

Side note, fitting with this thread this is in the range of the all new 2020 explorer which is another benchmark in terms of vehicle size that ford offers right now.
Am I reading this right? Std cab F150 4x4 with 2.7 eco is 4436 curb weight. Pretty light (and that's 122 wheelbase).

https://www.fleet.ford.com/fleet-specifications-vdm/?sg=trucks&category=curb weight&yr=2019&categoryId=speccurbweight&md=F-150&brand=Ford

Do we really think 2dr is coming in at smaller wheelbase than escape (107)?? Maybe since jeep is still under 100.
I agree that under 100 though is not going to fair well in any kind of higher speed running, no matter what axles it has.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Weight is going to depend a lot on what the body is made of. There are aluminum bodied F150s weighing in less than steel midsize units like the Everest or 4Runner.

Even with most of it's body being aluminum or plastic the Wrangler is still fairly heavy because of the strength of the frame and drivetrain. This is one of the big reasons I think Ford would want an aluminum body for the Bronco -- otherwise it will be very bulky.

For size I think the 4-door is very likely to be 112" like the Everest. The AUS photo would suggest about 12-16" less for the 2-door. I personally favor the upper end of that -- I think 100" is a sweet spot for stability and maneuverability.

300 HP and similar torque should certainly make a Bronco that size fun to drive.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The AUS photo would suggest about 12-16" less for the 2-door. I personally favor the upper end of that -- I think 100" is a sweet spot for stability and maneuverability.
I like those numbers but I'm the other way, I'd say 100" would be about the max I'd want to see on a 2 door version, 2 door wranglers are around 95".

I'd hope the weight comes in at the low 4000lb range. A 2 door Wrangler Rubicon curb weight is 4160lbs, I'd expect the Bronco should be about the same. If they can put together the 400hp ecoboost with a rig that weight that would be a very quick package.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Alum body might be nice for weight, but that becomes a problem when you have to fix it
(or restore it someday). I just started Miging alum and it's alot harder than steel. I would have no
issue with alum parts that unbolt, but I'd rather main tub be steel.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alum body might be nice for weight, but that becomes a problem when you have to fix it
(or restore it someday). I just started Miging alum and it's alot harder than steel. I would have no
issue with alum parts that unbolt, but I'd rather main tub be steel.
Most of the time if the damage is anything more than minor the panel is cheaper to replace than to fix. Knowing that, Ford purposely made panels on the F-series easier to swap out, and repairs on newer AL trucks are often cheaper than older steel ones because fewer labor hours are involved.

Another added bonus of more easily swappable panels is that they can be more easily replaced with aftermarket or custom / customizable parts too. Assuming Ford would continue with that design philosophy.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Most of the time if the damage is anything more than minor the panel is cheaper to replace than to fix. Knowing that, Ford purposely made panels on the F-series easier to swap out, and repairs on newer AL trucks are often cheaper than older steel ones because fewer labor hours are involved.

Another added bonus of more easily swappable panels is that they can be more easily replaced with aftermarket or custom / customizable parts too. Assuming Ford would continue with that design philosophy.
So your saying rear of lower cab (on pickup lets say) is replaceable?
Is that because they are "glued" together.

Maybe I coudl adapt, but it was almost always easier to weld in
patch panels for wheelwell rot (FSB's) than do a rear 1/4 on those,
as an example (especially since 1/4 runs up into roof).

And how would you fix small area is door striker or post area.
Lot of work to remove all that and re-align, if you only need to fix
a half dollar size rot hole.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe I coudl adapt, but it was almost always easier to weld in
patch panels for wheelwell rot (FSB's) than do a rear 1/4 on those,
as an example (especially since 1/4 runs up into roof).

And how would you fix small area is door striker or post area.
Lot of work to remove all that and re-align, if you only need to fix
a half dollar size rot hole.
Luckily we shouldn't have to worry about rot if it is indeed ALUM, but unless I missed something that is still speculation. From what little I have seen on youtube though it seems that the f-series cab is made of many separate panels so down along the rocker and corners you should be able to service local damage.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Luckily we shouldn't have to worry about rot if it is indeed ALUM, but unless I missed something that is still speculation. From what little I have seen on youtube though it seems that the f-series cab is made of many separate panels so down along the rocker and corners you should be able to service local damage.
Still corrodes. Especially uncoated, which is what the body will be when it gets a deep scratch or unrepaired dent (that removed paint).
Run that through a couple winters of this brine crap they are using now, and it's all over.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still corrodes. Especially uncoated, which is what the body will be when it gets a deep scratch or unrepaired dent (that removed paint).
Run that through a couple winters of this brine crap they are using now, and it's all over.
You are right that aluminum corrodes, but this corrosion is not representative of what rust does to steel. It is bad yes, and paint will have issues bonding to excessively corroded AL but it is far more stable than runaway rust/rot. Scratched aluminum will quickly be coated in aluminum oxide, and despite the bonding issues it will maintain structural integrity. Consider all the suspension components used on cars and trucks now (Like the raptor) that are cast aluminum, which is far less desirable than stamped panels. I am not an aluminum fan boy but I would much rather have an ugly panel than no panel. That said, I don't actually think the bronco will use a full aluminum body due to cost. maybe just the movable members like hood, doors, tailgate etc.
Sponsored