First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base

Here's the Jimny, SFA off roading and lifting it's wheels too. I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about off roading so can someone explain why the Jimny also has issues? Also not trying to be a dick, just curious as I have seen several Wrangler/Jimny comparisons where it acts like this and I'm genuinely curious.
Let's be fair, that jimny is articulating way more than the defender. Even in my rig, I can get it to lift it's corners on some gnarly sections. But the defender wheels barely move up and down. Funny you post that jimny as I'm a huge Suzuki samurai guy...

Ford Bronco 2020 Land Rover Defender To Battle Ford Bronco 20181207_115805
Sponsored

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hard to explain typing it but here goes …….

A SFA acts like a lever, push on one side the other side goes the opposite direction, meaning it will always try to go as far as it can go. It still lifts up because travel is limited by shocks (mainly) and by the wheel base, i.e. sometimes the front is "pushing" the body up in the rear. if that all makes sense.

IFS will only move if there is something there to move it. Plus it will only "droop" as far a the lower a-arm will go. example look how short an a-arm is. then look how long it is from one side of the axle to the other(SFA). So …… you can see how the more leverage one has, the easier it is to maintain contact with good 'ol terra firma therefore getting traction to continue to climb.

The "whoops" that you show here it is very easy to lift a solid axle if the wheelbase is not long enough for the axle to "reach" the ground. but you will still have more travel because you are levering from one side to the other not just "half" of the chassis.

Hope this helps but it is pretty hard to explain and I'm not computer savy… maybe I can find on the interweb that I can attach.

this is all my opinion, feel free to correct me if I stick my foot in my mouth, I have "wheeled" for MANY years ...... since about 14 yrs. old and I'm in my 50's

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I appreciate it guys! I understand a lot of the basics of the SFA vs IFS. It just seems like the Jimny has a tendency to lift those wheels lol. I've had wheels off the ground in my F-250 as well while "off-roading".

Also Samurai's are badass! (And the Jimny is too IMO).

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
Also think about the ease of modding the suspension. You can lift your rig as high up as you want with solid Axel's and put on longer traveling shocks. With independent suspension, The a arms are limited, longer shocks create a sharp downward angle. Your only choice is to lengthen the arms to get more travel, which is why the raptor is so wide with those big fender flares.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Also think about the ease of modding the suspension. You can lift your rig as high up as you want with solid Axel's and put on longer traveling shocks. With independent suspension, The a arms are limited, longer shocks create a sharp downward angle. Your only choice is to lengthen the arms to get more travel, which is why the raptor is so wide with those big fender flares.

YES X2 amount of travel is = to the length of the lower arms. plus its durability. solid axle very strong in comparison to IFS.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

easier for me to do it this way then to try on the computer.

axle travel.jpg
I've owned both SFA and IFS and watched videos explaining both and honestly this illustration is the best explanation for me to date! Now can you draw one for portal axles? LOL

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've owned both SFA and IFS and watched videos explaining both and honestly this illustration is the best explanation for me to date! Now can you draw one for portal axles? LOL
That ones pretty simple, there is a gear on the end of the axle. It turns a gear below it (through a chain or another gear so it rotates right direction). That gear is connected to the wheel. That also places the axle higher in relation to the wheel, achieving lift and multiplying torque without touching the suspension.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That ones pretty simple, there is a gear on the end of the axle. It turns a gear below it (through a chain or another gear so it rotates right direction). That gear is connected to the wheel. That also places the axle higher in relation to the wheel, achieving lift and multiplying torque without touching the suspension.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's also a good diagram to show how/why the ride is so different and that the IFS typically will have better manners. When one side moves with IFS, the other side is not impacted to the degree the SFA is. So, you hit a bump, the suspension absorbs it, not transfers it throughout the suspension.
Sponsored