Sponsored

2021 1st Edition sold at Mecum today (not listed - but actually SOLD)

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A lot of folks on here at one point doubted the possibility of the 6th Gen Bronco being collectible.

Thing you also have to remember with these auction vehicles is there's a ten percent buyer's premium as well, so price on rig is almost $140k before taxes.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
A lot of folks on here at one point doubted the possibility of the 6th Gen Bronco being collectible.

Thing you also have to remember with these auction vehicles is there's a ten percent buyer's premium as well, so price on rig is almost $140k before taxes.
It's a temporary scarcity driving price. Other than possibly some small future premium for FE, I don't see a vehicle aiming for 200k plus a year production, as a collectible. At least not in any sense of the word in terms of a price like this. I'll eat my hat if it is, lol.

Keep in mind the EB had yearly production numbers in the 20k range if not less some years. And it's old with fewer now available in good shape. Unless planning to sell within the next 8 months or so, I wouldn't want to be paying a premium for a new Bronco.

Sponsored

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's a temporary scarcity driving price. Other than possibly some small future premium for FE, I don't see a vehicle aiming for 200k plus a year production, as a collectible. At least not in any sense of the word in terms of a price like this. I'll eat my hat if it is, lol.

Keep in mind the EB had yearly production numbers in the 20k range if not less some years. And it's old with fewer now available in good shape. Unless planning to sell within the next 8 months or so, I wouldn't want to be paying a premium for a new Bronco.
Fair points.

Collectibility is tied mostly to rarity. A two door hard top FE will be a low produced trim level(~3500) in the first year of an American icons return. Especially if it’s wrapped up and parked for 30 years. A Shelby or Boss 9 come to mind from the mass produced mustang in the 60’s. I recognize that’s not a perfect example, but was low produced trim level within a lineup that was mass produced. Rare and extremely collectible.

It’s impossible to absolutely predict collectibility at this point. Jury’s still out and we may not really know for decades. Which is why I mentioned there’s a possibility. No different from predicting the stock or housing market.

This example could be about current scarcity. But it doesn’t mean that doesn’t lead to collectibility in the future.

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Owner: I want to sell my FE through Mecum.

Mecum: EZclap.

10% premium (assuming), $11,500 cash for some pictures and detailing work.

Sponsored

UtahLars

First Edition
First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Ford Bronco First Edition. ‘21 Audi RS6 Avan
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

A two door hard top FE will be a low produced trim level(~3500) in the first year of an American icons return. Especially if it’s wrapped up and parked for 30 years. A Shelby or Boss 9 come to mind from the
Agree that the FE has some shot at commanding a premium on the used market. But keeping a car for 30 years is a lousy use of capital. You tie up 60K in a car for 30 years and even if you hit a Ferrari-like home run in terms of collectible appreciation and survive the many risks of attempting that, at least based on historical returns you are very unlikely to do nearly as well as you would have by putting the money in the S&P 500.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Agree that the FE has some shot at commanding a premium on the used market. But keeping a car for 30 years is a lousy use of capital. You tie up 60K in a car for 30 years and even if you hit a Ferrari-like home run in terms of collectible appreciation and survive the many risks of attempting that, at least based on historical returns you are very unlikely to do nearly as well as you would have by putting the money in the S&P 500.
Thanks for the lesson. I've worked in investment management for 20 years. I understand TVM, capital risk, and investment returns. I think you over simplified, but I get why you chose to point it out.

Turns out it doesn't have to be 30 years. FE's have already sold at auction for nearly double shortly after purchase and an OBX tripled initial investment at 165k.

The reality is people with car collecting type money aren't worried about what $60k is gonna do in the S&P the next thirty years and later kick themselves when they could of have done 9 points in a paper asset.

UtahLars

First Edition
First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The reality is people with car collecting type money aren't worried about what $60k is gonna do in the S&P the next thirty years and later kick themselves when they could of have done 9 points in a paper asset.

My own hunch — and that’s all it can be because personally I know only a very tiny slice of car collectors so I’m not in a position to know what they’re worried about — is that investing attitudes are frequently less determined by how much money a person has than by how they obtained it.

UtahLars

First Edition
First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

That may or may not be the reality, but it's not relevant here as the post I was responding to was positing wrapping up a First Edition in plastic and keeping it without using it for 30 years. If that wasn't intended to be an investment, then what was it?

Of course wealthy people don't think too hard about dropping 60K on a car they intend to enjoy or to give as a gift. That was not what was being discussed. How many of your investment management clients have come to you during your long career with $1.2MM in stock and said, sell this and take the proceeds and go out and buy me 10 First Editions and I'll put them in a garage for 30 years?

If you do have such clients, congratulations, you hit the lottery. :)
Sponsored