Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The most important thing I learned here is that it is trivial to flip the lower shock bolts. Why Ford didn't just do that to start baffles me.
1. Easier installation. No need to store struts AND bolts. Studs are already attached to the strut, slam into place, torque the nuts, done. With a bolt, you'd have to line up the strut, carefully insert each bolt, then hold the bolt while you torque the nut. Running studs probably cuts install time by 75%.

Remember kids, an automaker's #1 goal is "How cheap can I build this?" They do not care what it takes to maintain or repair as long as it lasts through the warranty period.

2. Safer. If those nuts back off the strut, or even if the studs get sheared off even with the bottom of the control arm, the remaining stud length will keep the strut engaged in the control arm and in theory, as long as you never bottom out the suspension, it will all stay in place and you can drive home. If you bolt it up from the bottom, if the nuts fall off or if the bolt heads get sheared off, the bolt can fall out and the suspension will collapse.

If you're worried about trail damage, then cut the studs off flush with the nuts.
Sponsored

John Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500/ Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They start off with studs and the kit replaced them with bolts.
It shows him still using the impact wrench to righted them from the bottom and before that a closed end wrench on the top.
In the factory using a stud means they don't need the wrench on the top so easy to assemble.
There may be some clearance problem with just trying to flip the studs maybe this is why they switched to bolts? They Did say the bottom spacer can only be a small size because it would interfere with the CV.
But this is good to see and not to hard if you have the right tools.
Now we need someone to make a video on just flipping the studs or replacing them with bolts with out the lift.
I think the best option would be to weld some bolts/studs to a plate on the bottom side of the A-arm and nut it from the top. I wouldn't want to hammer studs into those arms and expect that material to hold them.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
1. Easier installation. No need to store struts AND bolts. Studs are already attached to the strut, slam into place, torque the nuts, done. With a bolt, you'd have to line up the strut, carefully insert each bolt, then hold the bolt while you torque the nut. Running studs probably cuts install time by 75%.

Remember kids, an automaker's #1 goal is "How cheap can I build this?" They do not care what it takes to maintain or repair as long as it lasts through the warranty period.

2. Safer. If those nuts back off the strut, or even if the studs get sheared off even with the bottom of the control arm, the remaining stud length will keep the strut engaged in the control arm and in theory, as long as you never bottom out the suspension, it will all stay in place and you can drive home. If you bolt it up from the bottom, if the nuts fall off or if the bolt heads get sheared off, the bolt can fall out and the suspension will collapse.

If you're worried about trail damage, then cut the studs off flush with the nuts.
1. I understand that it makes it easier for Ford. That doesn't make it less annoying.
2. I'm less concerned about shearing the bolt. The force required to accomplish that is very high, especially at the length we're looking at here. I'm more concerned with maintenance. With the threads facing down, bashing them up to the point that the nut will not thread off in the future is a much higher risk. I can vise grip the head of a bolt and back the nut off from the other side. Not so much the other way around.

That being said, it is in fact trivial to go buy a couple grade 8 bolts and flip these for those who will be abusing their truck. That's what I'll be doing.

Actually, I'll probably be replacing the suspension and therefore this will be moot for me but the point stands.

Sponsored

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
YES! the bronco is raked. why do you think this product exist if the bronco was not raked?

lol
That is my point. Why does the Bronco need it. I have not seen photos of any delivered Broncos that were raked severe enough to need a leveling kit.

But, hey, you do you I guess.

OP
OP
Raptor911

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
it is raked and prob need 2 inches for a level.

Most modern trucks are raked:

- better aero
- better braking
- also if not raked and you put a load in the bed then the front end sticks up in the air.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco 1" Leveling Kit - How to Install Video 1626207886155

That is my point. Why does the Bronco need it. I have not seen photos of any delivered Broncos that were raked severe enough to need a leveling kit.

But, hey, you do you I guess.

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
it is raked and prob need 2 inches for a level.

Most modern trucks are raked:

- better aero
- better braking
- also if not raked and you put a load in the bed then the front end sticks up in the air.

1626207886155.png
I know most trucks are raked and why. Thanks for telling me what I already know.

OP
OP
Raptor911

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
but you didn't know that the bronco was raked and it is raked becuase it is based on a truck platform.

:)

I know most trucks are raked and why. Thanks for telling me what I already know.

Sponsored

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yeah, looks really raked. You win. Congrats.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco 1" Leveling Kit - How to Install Video 1626208626800

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco 1" Leveling Kit - How to Install Video 1626208660696

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco 1" Leveling Kit - How to Install Video 1626208696414

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco 1" Leveling Kit - How to Install Video 1626208723677

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco 1" Leveling Kit - How to Install Video 1626208761864

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

^^ This

And if possible, doing it rolling around on their back in a driveway with minimal hand tools and a torque wrench. Because.... that's how I'll be doing it ;-)

Let's start with this since I don't have a Bronco, yet.

You will need this.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco 1" Leveling Kit - How to Install Video 1626214203752

.......... and this.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco 1" Leveling Kit - How to Install Video 1626214224895

That is the basics of an Air Hammer, the tool he used to drive them out.

😁😁

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model